• No

50 87.72%
  • Leo Fortune West

3 5.26%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BLM - Will you boo ?

Re: BLM - Will you boo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    We all would, but pulling down statues doesn't erase history.

I bet most people walking past Colston had no idea who he was.
    If pulling down statues doesn't erase history what's wrong with pulling them down?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    He traded slaves did he not?
    Colston was the governor of the Royal African Company, a company granted a monopoly by Parliament on the trading of slaves. He himself didn't own or trade slaves. His own business was that of merchant

Feedback

But the statues are of slave traders who traded black people, does it matter where they did it?
    Colston didn't trade black people. Read your history ffs

Colston was the governor of the Royal African Company, a company granted a monopoly by Parliament on the trading of slaves. He himself didn't own or trade slaves. His own business was that of merchant
    We can all copy and paste from the bbc article

Seems to me that he was pretty involved tbh.

Feedback

If pulling down statues doesn't erase history what's wrong with pulling them down?
    Nothing. But I asked what does it achieve other than making a few citizen Smith types fell ultra woke?

Feedback

We can all copy and paste from the bbc article

Seems to me that he was pretty involved tbh.
    I used to pass Colston Tower every day, and Colston Hall....

His name is quite popular in Bristol so being the individual that I am I read up on him.

Nothing. But I asked what does it achieve other than making a few citizen Smith types fell ultra woke?
    I suppose it makes black people living in the community feel like the country they're living in doesn't glorify slave traders. Which if you "read your history" rather than the bbc website Colston was.

I don't know why you've reduced it to this one specific statue and tried to get him off on a technicality anyway.

The question is what's the point of having the statue up?

I used to pass Colston Tower every day, and Colston Hall....

His name is quite popular in Bristol so being the individual that I am I read up on him.
    And then copy and pasted a line from the bbc news story about him? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-42404825

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/...ons/bha096.pdf seems to think he was a slave trader anyway.

But the discussion isn't just about thisone statue anyway.

Feedback

http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/History/...ons/bha096.pdf seems to think he was a slave trader anyway.

But the discussion isn't just about thisone statue anyway.
    No its not, and I've still not had an answer to what does pulling down his statue achieve?

No its not, and I've still not had an answer to what does pulling down his statue achieve?
    Haven’t 5 different people answered this?

What’s the point of leaving it up?

No point arguing with him, his mind is made up.

Feedback

I suppose it makes black people living in the community feel like the country they're living in doesn't glorify slave traders. Which if you "read your history" rather than the bbc website Colston was.

I don't know why you've reduced it to this one specific statue and tried to get him off on a technicality anyway.

The question is what's the point of having the statue up?
    Firstly, I'm not getting him off on anything. He wasn't a slave traders but was complicit in the slave trade. But this was the 17th century, the world was quite different then.

Most people wouldn't know who the statue was of, or if they knew who it was, may not know his part in this particular part of history. So I doubt people would object to the statue.

I've asked several times now, but still no answer. What does pulling his statue down achieve?

Feedback

I'm not arguing leaving it up, imasking what will be achieved by pulling it down?

Have we stopped racism as a result? Or are we carrying on as before?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    My mind is open to you explaining what will be achieved by this statue being pulled down?

Firstly, I'm not getting him off on anything. He wasn't a slave traders but was complicit in the slave trade. But this was the 17th century, the world was quite different then.

Most people wouldn't know who the statue was of, or if they knew who it was, may not know his part in this particular part of history. So I doubt people would object to the statue.

I've asked several times now, but still no answer. What does pulling his statue down achieve?
    It’s achieved annoying racists so all good in my book.

My mind is open to you explaining what will be achieved by this statue being pulled down?
    Which many people have explained to you. Go away

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    ✌️

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    How many racists do you know? How do you know they were annoyed? Did you ask them or perhaps you took a poll

Feedback

Which many people have explained to you. Go away
    No one has explained anything.

The statue was erected in the late 19th century by the Victorians. Victorian Britain funded the West Africa Squadron that ended the slave trade.I guarantee celebrating slavery wasn't in their thinking when this statue was erected.

His question has been answered 100 times too.

The question that hasn’t been answered is what’s the point of leaving the statue up? No one knows who he was apparently and he was complicit in the slave trade.

Seems like the least inspiring statue ever.

Feedback

His question has been answered 100 times too.

The question that hasn’t been answered is what’s the point of leaving the statue up? No one knows who he was apparently and he was complicit in the slave trade.

Seems like the least inspiring statue ever.
    I've asked what has been accomplished by pulling it down? It wasn't erected to celebrate slavery, he was hardly known, and was less known as being governor of the RAC. We've not ended racism, we've achieved nothing.

No one has explained anything.

The statue was erected in the late 19th century by the Victorians. Victorian Britain funded the West Africa Squadron that ended the slave trade.I guarantee celebrating slavery wasn't in their thinking when this statue was erected.
    You guarantee that the people 130 years ago erecting the statue 170 years after Colston's death weren't thinking about slavery. How does this guarantee work?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    You guarantee that the people 130 years ago erecting the statue 170 years after Colston's death weren't thinking about slavery. How does this guarantee work?
    Because the Victorians fought tooth and nail to end the slave trade in the Atlantic.

Have you ever read about Manchester (cottonopolis) in the American Civil War? If not, you should do so. You'll see what the Victorians thought of the slave trade.

Because the Victorians fought tooth and nail to end the slave trade in the Atlantic.

Have you ever read about Manchester (cottonopolis) in the American Civil War? If not, you should do so. You'll see what the Victorians thought of the slave trade.
    You are saying that because "Victorians" fought tooth and nail to end the slave trade "in the Atlantic" you can "guarantee" that the "Victorians" who erected the Colston statue weren't thinking about slavery when they did it. It's almost like these "Victorians" were some kind of tribe that followed a sacred path and that's why you can "guarantee" what you say is right. Is "bollocks" too strong a word for your line of argument?