+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup draw today - UPDATED

Re: World Cup draw today 5pm

Good news we are in 5 team group?

Could have been better, could have been worse. You can imagine all the Belgian fans saying bollox, not Wales again!!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wales are a more efficient competitive team nowadays ,have come a long way ,those sides will be saying oooh not Wales rather Scotland
    Yes it's won't be impossible to get out of the group but rubbish trips though.
    Was hoping for a bit of current bun
    Us and Czech Republic for second as Belgium red hot faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Could have been better, could have been worse. You can imagine all the Belgian fans saying bollox, not Wales again!!
    What i was thinking. Would have been nice to get over to Estonia but can't really see any foreign travel

Re: World Cup draw today - UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Good news we are in 5 team group?
    I was wondering that.
    I thought I'd rather be in a 6 but less games must be better for the players, and more importantly their clubs.

Should we fear Belgium? We took four points off them in qualifying for 2016 and then beat them in the quarter finals.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    At least we are not playing ROI ...........again !!
    Yes, be thankful for small mercies I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I was wondering that.
    I thought I'd rather be in a 6 but less games must be better for the players, and more importantly their clubs.
    Uefa will schedule friendlies when the others have competitive games.

Have the FAW done anything to counter the activity whereby those who are high up on the list for away tickets continue purchasing them even when they don't attend (in order to protect their place in the pecking order over the longer term)? I believe that the English FA ensure that it doesn't happen by distributing the tickets in the away locations before the games.

Belgium won't be pleased to be meeting us again, but, realistically, we'll be going for second place and I don't think we've got a bad draw there - if we can get our big players on the pitch more than we often do, we can definitely get into the Play Offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Have the FAW done anything to counter the activity whereby those who are high up on the list for away tickets continue purchasing them even when they don't attend (in order to protect their place in the pecking order over the longer term)? I believe that the English FA ensure that it doesn't happen by distributing the tickets in the away locations before the games.
    I still don't believe that happens as people moan about. Generally speaking most fans travelling get tickets on merit

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Uefa will schedule friendlies when the others have competitive games.
    Ah yes. Chance to see our seconds I suppose as I'd imagine a few cry off.

Saying that, it might be a chance to actually get a game for some our first teamers with many currently on the bench for their clubs!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Belgium won't be pleased to be meeting us again, but, realistically, we'll be going for second place and I don't think we've got a bad draw there - if we can get our big players on the pitch more than we often do, we can definitely get into the Play Offs.
    We will probably be in the play offs anyway. We can win the group. Belgium have not beaten us in the past four competitive matches.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I still don't believe that happens as people moan about. Generally speaking most fans travelling get tickets on merit
    I have witnessed if myself, old fruit.

what you talking here, 1 or 2 people for 1 or 2 games?
    Its just your tone asking if the FAW are doing anything about it suggested to me that you suspect its wide spread.

so do the top 2 qualify for the world cup ?

It obviously was a problem. I went to the Albania friendly where tickets were about a fiver. Though the Wales allocation sold out the end was half-full.

The last qualifying campaigns had smallish stadia so there was an issue with limited allocations that people not travelling might harvest the points. In Croatia and Hungary there were checks of the name on the ticket against an original passport. People were turned away who had their mate's tickets.

In Slovakia and Azerbaijan there was a 100% ticket collection in a hotel in the destination with potential sanctions and loyalty point loss where the tickets weren't collected.

We have a play off place guaranteed already through our Nations League heroics.

So it's 1st place or nothing, we don't need to play for second.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    so do the top 2 qualify for the world cup ?
    top team only.

10 second place teams get a play off place (but we already have a play off place guaranteed)

We're basically in the playoffs already anyway. Can afford to play a little gung-ho against Belgium.

Think that England will get through regardless of who they've drawn, so not too concerned about them. A few on here believe Scotland have an easy draw. Not too sure about that. Denmark are way better than them and Austria and Israel will make it a tough ask to qualify. Good luck to them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Should we fear Belgium? We took four points off them in qualifying for 2016 and then beat them in the quarter finals.
    We should yes, we're decent but they're the number 1 team in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Think that England will get through regardless of who they've drawn, so not too concerned about them. A few on here believe Scotland have an easy draw. Not too sure about that. Denmark are way better than them and Austria and Israel will make it a tough ask to qualify. Good luck to them though.
    I'd say Poland were the toughest team in Pot 2 and the term "luck of the Irish" should be changed to "luck of the Scots" when it comes to football.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    what you talking here, 1 or 2 people for 1 or 2 games?
    Its just your tone asking if the FAW are doing anything about it suggested to me that you suspect its wide spread.
    I am aware that it goes on but I have no idea how widespread it is. As someone who is keen to attend more away games (but can't always get tickets) it was a legitimate question and was about something that other football authorities make efforts to counter.
    Try re-reading my missives in a more relaxed 'tone', old fruit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Scotland have recently lost to Israel (and drawn twice) so dont think they'll be too keen to be playing them again. Cant see Scotland finishing second in that group.