+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAR

VAR

Weird offside rules notwithstanding, overall, do you think VAR is a good thing? Do you wish we had it in the Championship? I do.

Re: VAR

Absolutely not. God it's awful.

Definitely not in the way it’s used now.

Referees in buildings miles away have taken over the game

Speaking purely from my point of view as a City fan I think we would benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Speaking purely from my point of view as a City fan I think we would benefit from it.
    With the way the rules are at the moment, VAR is still open to ambiguity and I have noticed many bad decisions are still made with it.

The game as a spectacle, also a player who thinks he's scored but has to wait before celebrating, is ruined.

The officials will just pass the buck to the faceless man, who also happens to be an English man.

It's a big no from me.

It's a pile of shite. Bin it asap and never speak of it again.

It’s the reaction to a goal that gets me, it’s the be all and end all for a football supporter that split second it hits the back of the net. Obviously pre VAR, there was the jump in the air only to be deflated by the sight of a linesman’s flag etc but most football supporters can recognise a dodgy ‘goal’, so you’re prepared in that split second for it to be disallowed. But these hair’s breadth decisions just take away the whole spur of the moment thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Weird offside rules notwithstanding, overall, do you think VAR is a good thing?
    No, it's dreadful. Worst thing to happen to football in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No, it's dreadful. Worst thing to happen to football in a very long time.
    Absolutely, in all of the games that you have watched and all of the poor decisions you've ever seen, have you ever walked away from a game thinking that we needed VAR? i know that i didn't, you just took what happened on the chin and thanked your lucky stars if it went in your favour. I don't think that i ever had a conversation with anyone about more technology in football, if i did then it wouldn't have been me instigating the conversation and the person that did would have to be a massive wanker.

It was needed for decisions that were horribly and embarrassingly wrong - like Chelsea’s ridiculous offside against us in the premier league.

It’s the hairline decisions that ruin it for me, as previously teams wouldn’t complain too much about decisions that were virtually invisible to the naked eye.

But I’m not sure where you draw the line, if you have technology it’s going to be used to the maximum of its capabilities.

For offside decisions I’d rather have four linesman (two in each half) and it’s only offside when both have to flag. Obviously they would be able to confer but it’d be quicker than a VAR referral. Similarly, penalties are becoming a farce. I’d be interested to see how many penalties are saved this season - I bet it won’t be many as they’ll be overturned and retaken.

No. It's killing the game by slowing it down and taking the excitement out of it.

I don't think it'll be long until the VAR decision time is used to sell advertising space on TV and it'll become swamped with adverts like it is on American sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    It was needed for decisions that were horribly and embarrassingly wrong - like Chelsea’s ridiculous offside against us in the premier league.

It’s the hairline decisions that ruin it for me, as previously teams wouldn’t complain too much about decisions that were virtually invisible to the naked eye.

But I’m not sure where you draw the line, if you have technology it’s going to be used to the maximum of its capabilities.

For offside decisions I’d rather have four linesman (two in each half) and it’s only offside when both have to flag. Obviously they would be able to confer but it’d be quicker than a VAR referral. Similarly, penalties are becoming a farce. I’d be interested to see how many penalties are saved this season - I bet it won’t be many as they’ll be overturned and retaken.
    How do you decide what's horribly wrong, and what's not? The negatives outweigh any positives so strongly, it needs to get binned. It won't, and we're stuck with it but it's going to kill the game for many. If you can't celebrate goals or winning a penalty shootout, what's the point?

It was supposed to assist the officials when they have made a clear and obvious error but that’s not what they are doing!
    The Bamford decision was most probably the worst decision made by VAR this season how was it a clear and obvious error??

Also slowing down video always makes the challenges look worse , once again the officials just get one look in real time. They spent so much time with their X and y graph tools trying to determine whether Watkins was offside , they missed the foul !

If used properly then it would help but not how they employ it at the moment !!

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    It was supposed to assist the officials when they have made a clear and obvious error but that’s not what they are doing!
    The Bamford decision was most probably the worst decision made by VAR this season how was it a clear and obvious error??

Also slowing down video always makes the challenges look worse , once again the officials just get one look in real time. They spent so much time with their X and y graph tools trying to determine whether Watkins was offside , they missed the foul !

If used properly then it would help but not how they employ it at the moment !!
    The Bamford one was the correct decision, unfortunately. That's why it's a farce. Cameras aren't good enough for the offside calls though, it's impossible to know the exact frame the ball left the foot. It can't be used correctly with the technology we have. Why is the ref looking at the screen to decide? Surely its either clear and obvious and should get overturned, or it isn't. They're using it to referee the game, and the on field ref has been completely undermined.

Not the Bamford debate again, please!

Another strange VAR decision in the Brighton vs Southampton game.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    With the way the rules are at the moment, VAR is still open to ambiguity and I have noticed many bad decisions are still made with it.

The game as a spectacle, also a player who thinks he's scored but has to wait before celebrating, is ruined.

The officials will just pass the buck to the faceless man, who also happens to be an English man.

It's a big no from me.
    Saints pelanty tonight, both commentators thought it wasn't one.
    I rest my case.

Anyone think that would have gone our way?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Another strange VAR decision in the Brighton vs Southampton game.
    It's an absolute disgrace. Unless they're making it so bad to get rid of it

I think it would be a welcome addition to the Championship. In fact, I think all league clubs should pay to have sufficient cameras installed so all league matches can be refereed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Saints pelanty tonight, both commentators thought it wasn't one.
    I rest my case.

Anyone think that would have gone our way?
    The commentator on the coverage I was watching (Martin Tyler) thought it was a penalty after he saw the replays. So did Matthew Upson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How do you decide what's horribly wrong, and what's not? The negatives outweigh any positives so strongly, it needs to get binned. It won't, and we're stuck with it but it's going to kill the game for many. If you can't celebrate goals or winning a penalty shootout, what's the point?
    The implementation of VAR and the constant drive for "perfection" in refereeing decisions shows that the people running the game fundamentally misunderstand what makes it great and why so many people love it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think it would be a welcome addition to the Championship. In fact, I think all league clubs should pay to have sufficient cameras installed so all league matches can be refereed properly.
    It costs 10 grand just to run VAR for one match and that's without all the equipment. It's a massive waste of time and money. Interesting that they could find money for this rubbish but not grass roots, or to the pyramid as a whole. At least they've ruined their prize, and it's just as rubbish in other leagues, too.

Might as well just play it as a computer game.

Really pissed off with it. Passion goes out the window.

VAR is getting better. One good thing is that it will reduce the number of fouls in the penalty area which we all knew were rife prior to VAR. There are of course downsides such as when a player scores you might not know for a minute or two whether to celebrate while VAR labours over whether somebody's finger was offside. Overall I think the jury is out. Perhaps things would improve if the offside rules were changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    VAR is getting better. One good thing is that it will reduce the number of fouls in the penalty area which we all knew were rife prior to VAR. There are of course downsides such as when a player scores you might not know for a minute or two whether to celebrate while VAR labours over whether somebody's finger was offside. Overall I think the jury is out. Perhaps things would improve if the offside rules were changed.
    How are you going to change the offside rule? If you make it so it's another body part, you're just moving the reference point so you can't do that. Also, if you make it so that if any part of his body is on side, then to me, that's offside if your toe is playing you on but you're completely the other side. You can't just change the rule for VAR as well, you're changing it for all football. It's a shambles, half baked, they've rushed it and they've ruined football.