+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City TV Commentators

City TV Commentators

Who's the commentator on City TV that isn't the main one?

He's not cut out for the job. He was talking about Christmas music last night, different methods of defence in Rugby during the Watford game and American sports during the Luton game.

Also, when there's a bit of excitement going on, e.g. when a player is making a good run, he just carries on with whatever he was talking about.

There's no chemistry amongst the two either.

Saying that, the main one is as exciting as a wet weekend in Bangor.

It was great having Cunningham on a few weeks ago. Vocal and said it as it was.

Re: City TV Commentators

Yep said it for a long time - I prefer to listen to the radio commentary listened to the Watford game on Talk-sport 2 much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Yep said it for a long time - I prefer to listen to the radio commentary listened to the Watford game on Talk-sport 2 much better.
    I've tried to listen to radio commentary whilst watching the TV but there's usually a lag of about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

He's not cut out for the job. He was talking about Christmas music last night, different methods of defence in Rugby during the Watford game and American sports during the Luton game.

Also, when there's a bit of excitement going on, e.g. when a player is making a good run, he just carries on with whatever he was talking about.

More commentary on what's actually going on during the game wouldn't be a bad idea instead of oh this guy came through the youth system or this player plays for Scotland coz his grandad is Scottish does my head in. That sort of stuff is ok when there is a break in play but not when the ball is bouncing around in the pelanty area!!

He's the TV equivalent of Rob Phillips except you can tell where the ball is and when he shouts "here's a chance" you know whether you want a goal to go in or a shot saved.

I really do not know how these people get these jobs. Who you know no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    More commentary on what's actually going on during the game wouldn't be a bad idea instead of oh this guy came through the youth system or this player plays for Scotland coz his grandad is Scottish does my head in. That sort of stuff is ok when there is a break in play but not when the ball is bouncing around in the pelanty area!!
    Only dipped my toe into it really, but are you able to see the ball bouncing around the penalty area and you want the commentators to tell you it's bouncing around?

The rugby defence comment was presumably building on the back of the previous game where the initial comparison was made. Personally, I think they do a good job and it's interesting to hear thoughts of coaches even if it makes it a bit awkward at times.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    He's the TV equivalent of Rob Phillips except you can tell where the ball is and when he shouts "here's a chance" you know whether you want a goal to go in or a shot saved.

I won't have a word said against 'our Rob.

These people are part of the media team for the club and have probably been pushed into the role, rather than the other way around. I can't imagine the co-commentator of CCFC TV is on a wedge! They're not fantastic but I don't think they're half as bad as they're made out to be. They're less irritating than some professional commentators who never shut up.

I won't have a word said against 'our Rob.
    I know I know

He loves us and has got "pashun" but your in your car doing 70 plus on the M4, on pins listening to the City away and I don't need to know who has scored for Scunthorpe or how many points Newport are behind the leaders. If I did I'd have stuck on five live or Jeff Stelling on my phone :rollseyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    These people are part of the media team for the club and have probably been pushed into the role, rather than the other way around. I can't imagine the co-commentator of CCFC TV is on a wedge! They're not fantastic but I don't think they're half as bad as they're made out to be. They're less irritating than some professional commentators who never shut up.
    Won't disagree with that but my beef is the radio commentary, they are paid pretty decent money I bet.
    Give me "back to square on" any day.

I think they're pretty decent, heard far worse commentators than those two

The rugby defence thing was a pretty good comparison aswell

I've tried to listen to radio commentary whilst watching the TV but there's usually a lag of about 30 seconds.
    You can pause either the tv coverage or the radio commentary to align them. Usually have to wait for a set piece, but it can be done.

I've listened to a few other clubs' commentary on various streams this season and they aren't a whole lot better. You expect a high level of bias of course but some of them almost completely ignore anything we do, clear fouls called excellent tackles etc, one recently called us Sheffield Wednesday about 5 times and wasn't once corrected by the co-commentator.

They are never going to be sky or bt level, not that they are always great either.

Seems to have improved a little this season, certainly two of them are better than just the one guy doing it. Most annoying thing I've found is sometimes the commentary is a split second ahead of the action, kind of like someone shouting at what they bought you just as you are unwrapping the gift. Anyone else had this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You can pause either the tv coverage or the radio commentary to align them. Usually have to wait for a set piece, but it can be done.
    I've done this myself when it is on Sky, BT sport or general terrestrial tv but when it is streamed its a lot more difficult, especially when you lose the connection which often happens.

I can do without commentary to be honest, especially when there aren't fans as you can't get any atmosphere anyway.

Won't disagree with that but my beef is the radio commentary, they are paid pretty decent money I bet.
    One!

No I just listen to the radio commentary - between dumb & dumber + a tenner per game I think radio is a better option.

Dave and Ash. I don't know which one is which. They're obviously fans and make no attempt to hide it. They also seem to remember every game they've ever been to.

Yesterday, they were joking about joining them on Saturday for completely biased coverage.

I very much doubt regional radio commentators are paid anywhere near the money you expect. Journalists are paid absolutely sod all now. The average salary for a journalist is under 24k, which includes all the big shots.

I am biased in favour of City so don’t mind and even welcome a commentary supporting our team. So often on Sky, commentators appear to favour and concentrate on the “more famous” opposition rather than Cardiff City. These 2 men on the City tv could be me or most of us on this message board with their support of our club and I for one rather enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I very much doubt regional radio commentators are paid anywhere near the money you expect. Journalists are paid absolutely sod all now. The average salary for a journalist is under 24k, which includes all the big shots.
    These commentary jobs are often second jobs. A bit like these semi-professional footballers and coaches.
    The pay supplements their normal wage.

We have slightly gone OT but the point is that most people who tune in just want the commentator to describe what's going on and not someone just reading from a factsheet.
    Tennis radio commentators, for example, are brilliant at painting a picture.
    Now that takes some doing, far more difficult than reporting on who is on the ball and where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I am biased in favour of City so don’t mind and even welcome a commentary supporting our team. So often on Sky, commentators appear to favour and concentrate on the “more famous” opposition rather than Cardiff City. These 2 men on the City tv could be me or most of us on this message board with their support of our club and I for one rather enjoy it!
    Me too. It's like watching a game with a mate.

I’ve paid for the audio commentary for the season as I wasn’t paying for the live video when so many games are on sky.

So sometimes I’m left with just audio. Problem is it’s just the commentary from the video so, quite understandably really, you haven’t got a clue where the ball is on the pitch most of the time as Ash assumes you can see it.

Pretty rubbish really.

The bias is also hilarious. First half against Coventry you’d have thought we were playing well but I’ve deduced from elsewhere that was most certainly not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Dave and Ash. I don't know which one is which. They're obviously fans and make no attempt to hide it. They also seem to remember every game they've ever been to.

Yesterday, they were joking about joining them on Saturday for completely biased coverage.
    I'd like to join them Saturday but Sky won't let me.

In their defence they are usually less biased than some of the club commentators I've heard.

We spend our lives complaining and then we die.....

I wasn’t a fan of the commentary at first but they have got better. I bet it’s much bloody harder than it looks

Regards to going off topic you’ve got to remember commentating on radio and tv is totally different. Radio you have to paint a picture on what’s going on the pitch and following the ball round. On tv you can see that so it’s more for analysis. I don’t think they do a particularly bad job of understanding the game, just perhaps timing and relevance is slightly off.
    Think of all the times Martin Tyler or John Motson went off topic on matches.