+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Defund The Police - Minneapolis City Council says 'yes'!

Defund The Police - Minneapolis City Council says 'yes'!

The Minneapolis City Council unanimously approved a budget early Thursday that will shift about $8 million from the police department toward violence prevention and other programs. However, it will keep the mayor’s targeted staffing levels for sworn officers intact, averting a possible veto.

Mayor Jacob Frey, who had threatened to veto the entire budget if the council went ahead with its plan to cap police staffing, said the vote was a defining moment for the city, which has seen mass protests against police brutality and racial injustice since the 25 May death of George Floyd.

The plan cuts nearly $8 million from Frey’s $179 million policing budget and redirects it to mental health teams, violence prevention programs and other initiatives.

“We all share a deep and abiding reverence for the role our local government plays in service of the people of our city,” Frey said. “And today, there are good reasons to be optimistic about the future in Minneapolis.”

The City Council had initially approved a proposal to cut the city’s authorized police force to 750 officers, down from the current 888, beginning in 2022. But they changed course late Wednesday after the mayor called the move “irresponsible.”

The council voted 7-6 on Wednesday to keep the cap at 888.

“Tonight the City Council passed a budget that represents a compromise, and also a big step forward into a more compassionate and effective public safety future,” said City Council member Steve Fletcher, co-author of the proposal to lower the cap on staffing. He said the City Council has more work to do and “we cannot afford to remain stuck in the past any longer.”

More than 300 Minneapolis residents signed up to speak about the proposal Wednesday. “The place I grew up this summer burned,” said Will Roberts, who grew up in the Longfellow neighborhood. “And it burned because of police misconduct.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-live-updates

Re: Defund The Police - Minneapolis City Council says 'yes'!

🤣

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    ��
    Thanks for that!

For what it's worth I thought it was interesting to share a real example of a 'defund the police' decision in a city government that goes beyond the headlines, the slogans and the frequent misrepresentation. In this case it is about diverting some resources from police budgets to crime and harm prevention programmes, and to end the 100% protection of police budgets and numbers when the Covid economic crisis is devastating other budgets and programmes. It is also an example of a very wide and informed debate in a major city prior to those decisions being made.

I think the 'defund the police' slogan can be misunderstood, misrepresented or to cover such a range of political views that it risks becoming meaningless. But when it is brought down to practical budget and service choices it clearly means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thanks for that!

For what it's worth I thought it was interesting to share a real example of a 'defund the police' decision in a city government that goes beyond the headlines, the slogans and the frequent misrepresentation. In this case it is about diverting some resources from police budgets to crime and harm prevention programmes, and to end the 100% protection of police budgets and numbers when the Covid economic crisis is devastating other budgets and programmes. It is also an example of a very wide and informed debate in a major city prior to those decisions being made.

I think the 'defund the police' slogan can be misunderstood, misrepresented or to cover such a range of political views that it risks becoming meaningless. But when it is brought down to practical budget and service choices it clearly means a lot.
    It is a stupid slogan and does no justice to the legitimate concept that often spending on prevention is more cost effective than spending to deal with a problem once it has developed. Unfortunately it often doesn't sound appealing to those who want immediate bang for their buck.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thanks for that!

I'll take a step back and watch the outcome and anticipated drop in crime statistics .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'll take a step back and watch the outcome and anticipated drop in crime statistics .
    I'll bet the Minneapolis City Council can't wait for your next contribution.

I bet the Minneapolis City criminal is rubbing its hands with glee .