+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte - available for loan move

Gavin Whyte - available for loan move

According to this:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/e...city-attacker/

https://the72.co.uk/206373/cardiff-c...ary-departure/

Cardiff City winger Gavin Whyte is a loan target for several Championship and League One clubs after being given the green light to move in January, Football Insider understands.

The 24-year-old has played a bit-part role for the Bluebirds under Neil Harris this season with just 38 minutes of game time from five cameo appearances off the substitutes’ bench.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Cardiff are willing to let the Northern Ireland international leave temporarily in the winter window and that there are several clubs from the second and third tiers chasing his capture.

As detailed by Football Insider last summer, Cardiff launched a £1.5million bid to prise Whyte from Oxford United during Neil Warnock’s time in charge.

However, the Belfast-born forward has failed to have the desired impact in south Wales so far.

He started 15 times in 24 Championship appearances last season and managed to chip in with just one goal and one assist in 30 games across all competitions.

The nine-cap international actually started as a regular under Warnock, missing just two of the club’s opening 16 league games, but fell out of favour following Harris’ appointment in November.

Despite having featured in all five of Cardiff’s last eight league outings, it is understood Cardiff are happy to let Whyte leave on loan in a bid to get him more game time during the second half of the season.

The former Crusaders star has a total of 36 League One and 29 Championship matches under his belt.

After a brief return to the side in January, he ended up making just two cameo appearances, totalling 12 minutes, in the club’s final 14 matches of the season.

Re: Gavin Whyte - available for loan move

Don't feel we're playing him in the right way but he doesn't lend himself to a Warnock/Harris style squad.

He's just not physically strong enough to track back and use as a second fullback, which others do.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Don't feel we're playing him in the right way but he doesn't lend himself to a Warnock/Harris style squad.

He's just not physically strong enough to track back and use as a second fullback, which others do.
    I think it's his final ball is the main problem but his tracking back is very good. All a matter of opinions of course.

It'll do him the world of good getting regular football. He only came into the professional game two years ago. - I think he's got bags of talent but just hasn't shown it with us yet.

I think we need Whyte as back up with the heavy fixture load.

In terms of attacking substitutions Harris seems to be favouring 1. Glatzel 2. Hoilett 3. Whyte. Unless someone else comes in, we'd be cutting our small squad down further by letting one of our more prominent players leave. However, I also think he needs some more first team football to make good on his potential.

Making way for the big January transfer window recruitment exercise or just cost cutting

Would prefer to keep him and try to sell Murphy.
    At least get some money in.
    I rate him but in his last half a dozen opportunities it really seems as though he can’t be bothered.
    If he wants away let’s see what we can get for him

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think it's his final ball is the main problem but his tracking back is very good. All a matter of opinions of course.
    It's usually at this point in the thread that someone suggests Whyte could "do a job" at right-back.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    It'll do him the world of good getting regular football. He only came into the professional game two years ago. - I think he's got bags of talent but just hasn't shown it with us yet.
    What has Whyte done since he joined us to suggest that he has "bags of talent"?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    It's usually at this point in the thread that someone suggests Whyte could "do a job" at right-back.
    sorry, I was stuck in traffic

Does desperately need game time and development,
    his energy and commitment is great .

I don't think Warnock would have signed Whyte if he wasn't any good at tracking back - seems to me that he's pretty good at the sort of things that managers appreciate, but, unfortunately, he's shown very little of the sort of things that fans want to see in a winger.

However, as has been said above, Whyte seems to have overtaken Murphy in the pecking order in recent games and, while kudos have to be given to our manager for the way things have turned around recently, I just don't get the thinking with Murphy if we are intending to keep him in January - the way he's being treated is strongly suggestive of him being someone who will be available for loan/sale next month.

Perhaps Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is poised to return .

Unfortunately he has no pace and can't cross, which is a bit of a let down for a winger that cost £1.5m.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I agree.

His tracking back and defending seem to be fine (a prerequisite for a Warnock winger)

He has been poor going forward though. And that is his main job after all.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't think Warnock would have signed Whyte if he wasn't any good at tracking back - seems to me that he's pretty good at the sort of things that managers appreciate, but, unfortunately, he's shown very little of the sort of things that fans want to see in a winger.

However, as has been said above, Whyte seems to have overtaken Murphy in the pecking order in recent games and, while kudos have to be given to our manager for the way things have turned around recently, I just don't get the thinking with Murphy if we are intending to keep him in January - the way he's being treated is strongly suggestive of him being someone who will be available for loan/sale next month.
    I suspect that Whyte has made more appearances recently because we've been winning and therefore looking to hold on to a lead when making substitutions.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Perhaps Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is poised to return .
    I was thinking that it may be a good sign for Tomlin's fitness.

League 1 player at best. We need better if we are serious about promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    League 1 player at best. We need better if we are serious about promotion.
    One that Warnock played religiously as if he needed to justify why he spent the money on him. In a way, it was a decision that backfired, he wasn't really good enough, we didn't play well enough and he got the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I agree.

His tracking back and defending seem to be fine (a prerequisite for a Warnock winger)

He has been poor going forward though. And that is his main job after all.
    I’ve seen him run back but easily brushed off.

I’ve heard he’s had a few good games for NI though so perhaps there’s something there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    ???

Loan move might be best for all parties. He might kick on, and we get a good player; or he kicks on and we sell him. He could also be crap there too, but he's not bottomed out here anyway.

A bit random I know, but he brings the ball down when its it the air really well.

From what we've seen over the past few matches, there's no comparison between the two styles.