+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitarists

Feedback

Guitarists

I'm looking at a Les Paul for the boy for Christmas, and wanted to know if there's much difference between an Epiphone and Gibson, seeing as they are the same company?

Also, what pedals should I get him? I'm thinking delay and overdrive to start him off.

Re: Guitarists

What age is the player? I'd start off with a good replica if I was you. For example, if you were looking at Fenders, you'd probably buy a Squier copy for a beginner. Great guitar, half the price (or less). Pedals have their uses, but they make you lazy. Learn to play the thing first.

Feedback

He already has a fender telecaster and stratocaster, he's 14 and has been playing for a few years - he's pretty decent so a few pedals will add to his repertoire

The Gibson is a better guitar in all categories except the price. But the more you pay for an Epiphone, the closer it gets to the 'real thing'. Pay £500 and it's pretty close to the level of a basement Gibson. Then again, an American made Gibson will always be a better investment, as it's going to hold it's value much better, as long as it's looked after properly. So there's the question, will a fourteen year old look after an expensive Gibson?
    Sounds like the kid is going to be spoilt for choice. They're a very different guitar to the Fenders you mention. What about a hollow-body Tele? That's a great guitar.

Feedback

Is the hollow body guitar exactly what it says - a bit more light weight?

How different is the sound,

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Is the hollow body guitar exactly what it says - a bit more light weight?

How different is the sound,
    More acoustic , indeed

Geordie out of killing joke used a hollow body I believe

What a guitar sound he had

If he's got a Strat and Telecaster why does he need a Les Paul? He owns the best already. I owned a 1963 Strat at one time. Great guitar. Cost me £150 and now worth a lot more. However, if resale value is of interest, which I doubt, buy the Gibson. Epiphone is seen as an inferior brand and you know what kids are like; they always want the best.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If he's got a Strat and Telecaster why does he need a Les Paul? He owns the best already. I owned a 1963 Strat at one time. Great guitar. Cost me £150 and now worth a lot more. However, if resale value is of interest, which I doubt, buy the Gibson. Epiphone is seen as an inferior brand and you know what kids are like; they always want the best.
    My thinking is he can experiment with different sounds.

I know nothing about guitars.

My thinking is he can experiment with different sounds.

I know nothing about guitars.
    I don't like Les Paul's. The sound is so clean every mistake is noticeable. If I were you I wouldn't buy a guitar for your son as he has two great guitars at the moment. Why don't you go into a music shop and ask them to make you up a pedal board with 4 or 5 pedals. That won't be cheap but would enable your son to experiment with different sounds.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't like Les Paul's. The sound is so clean every mistake is noticeable. If I were you I wouldn't buy a guitar for your son as he has two great guitars at the moment. Why don't you go into a music shop and ask them to make you up a pedal board with 4 or 5 pedals. That won't be cheap but would enable your son to experiment with different sounds.
    Thats an option. What pedals would you suggest?

Why lock yourself in to Gibson/Epiphone and pedals?
    I've got several guitars and I'd recommend a Yamaha Revstar. I've got the RS620 and RS820. They are seriously great guitars. Only today in Guitarist mag I read 'it's probably one of the best examples of a 'sleeper' range we can think of' and even the editor has just bought one. Check out some of the Youtube videos that feature the range and often compare them with Gibsons.
    As regards pedals, again why not go for something different. I've recently bought a BOSS GT-1 Guitar Effects Processor and it gives access to a huge of sounds with a pedal to boot. See them demonstrated on Youtube also.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    What age is the player? I'd start off with a good replica if I was you. For example, if you were looking at Fenders, you'd probably buy a Squier copy for a beginner. Great guitar, half the price (or less). Pedals have their uses, but they make you lazy. Learn to play the thing first.
    Didn't know you played, mush! Think of all those half-times when we could've nattered about gear an' stuff!

Thats an option. What pedals would you suggest?
    I'm so out of date that I would defer to others with more recent experience. The best pedal around in my time was a Zoom with multiple sounds which is 1970s technology and absolutely no good for playing at live gigs.

What sort of guitarist is he? What sort of music does he listen to? Has he specifically mentioned an interest in a Gibson hollow or semi-hollow body guitar? How old is he? Have you thought about just getting him a gift voucher for a music shop? Most guitarists would know what sort of sound they were looking for and would already have a wish-list for pedals. What sort of amp does he use?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Why lock yourself in to Gibson/Epiphone and pedals?
    I've got several guitars and I'd recommend a Yamaha Revstar. I've got the RS620 and RS820. They are seriously great guitars. Only today in Guitarist mag I read 'it's probably one of the best examples of a 'sleeper' range we can think of' and even the editor has just bought one. Check out some of the Youtube videos that feature the range and often compare them with Gibsons.
    As regards pedals, again why not go for something different. I've recently bought a BOSS GT-1 Guitar Effects Processor and it gives access to a huge of sounds with a pedal to boot. See them demonstrated on Youtube also.
    Yamaha are excellent. My Yamaha Pacifica didn't cost a great deal and has never let me down

On Gibson v Epiphone as far as I know Gibsons are better but not necessarily worth the jump in price. For pedals there's such a huge range out there I'd ask your boy what he'd be interested in and go from there or look up the most compatible for the kind of stuff he plays

Les Paul's are great guitars and Jimmy page , Alex lifeson and the boys from lizzy got a great sound out of them

And a lot of hard rock bands use them today , as they do with strats

A lot of metal bands use ibanez destroyers etc

But even today strats are still used , andreas kisser of sepultura uses a customised strat with various pick ups

My mate had a white yamaha he paid 200 quid for and used it for many years , he's got a dozen guitars but he still rates yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Geordie out of killing joke used a hollow body I believe

What a guitar sound he had
    gretsch white falcon

seen him at least 15 times always used it

Is he into metal ?

Maybe look into ibanez

Is he into rock , maybe look at a les Paul but also strats , telecaster , firebird ?

I personally think for a kid of 14 he's got enough to play with at the moment and pedals would be worth looking at , those all in one effects boards are going to give him plenty to mess about with

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Les Paul's are great guitars and Jimmy page , Alex lifeson and the boys from lizzy got a great sound out of them

And a lot of hard rock bands use them today , as they do with strats

A lot of metal bands use ibanez destroyers etc

But even today strats are still used , andreas kisser of sepultura uses a customised strat with various pick ups

My mate had a white yamaha he paid 200 quid for and used it for many years , he's got a dozen guitars but he still rates yamaha
    I had a Yamaha bass back in the day. A black BB-300. I bought it in LA took it back to London, Cardiff and then back to the US. Used it for years. I think I've still got the body somewhere. Not my dream guitar though.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    gretsch white falcon

seen him at least 15 times always used it
    Great guitar sound , on their day great live

Last time I saw them they were superb , cardiff uni but jazz was in a mood and they only did an hour .

Me and my mates love killing joke , we are metal fans but they were at the forefront of industrial , expansive sounds but after spending a lot of money to travel to see them , tickets etc I am not not putting up with an hour set list

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I had a Yamaha bass back in the day. A black BB-300. I bought it in LA took it back to London, Cardiff and then back to the US. Used it for years. I think I've still got the body somewhere. Not my dream guitar though.
    Geddy Lee from Rush is one of my favourite bassists and he's changed his weapon as they say over the years

Fender Precision , various 8 string basses etc etc

Whatever you do buy quality. He’ll be happier and value will hold.

Hold on, he's 14?

No 14-year-old needs a Strat a Tele AND a Gibson. Gibson is not like Fender, they don't make guitars all over the world. All their guitars are made in the US. And a semi-hollow body like a 335 will cost you $3000.

Are his Fenders American made?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Hold on, he's 14?

No 14-year-old needs a Strat a Tele AND a Gibson. Gibson is not like Fender, they don't make guitars all over the world. All their guitars are made in the US. And a semi-hollow body like a 335 will cost you $3000.

Are his Fenders American made?
    It does seem a little over the top

He's got two great guitars in a strat and a tele

Buy him an effects board

He can play pop , rock , metal with that

Its like buying your son three cars when he's only just learning to drive one

On a side note , I am looking to buy a new pike fishing rod which is about 200 quid

Any chance of a bank transfer ?