+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Welsh Team Of All Time

Best Welsh Team Of All Time

Been talking to my lads earlier about how Wales have produced some amazing footballers over the years with some being the best in their position in the world at a particular time. I don't know enough going back so far but what would be an all time Wales 1-11 selecting players from every era. ie Big Nev, John Charles, Cliff Jones, Rush Bale Giggs and Toshack can all play in the same team.

Re: Best Welsh Team Of All Time

I always struggle with the defence on this subject and end up sticking John Charles at Centre Back with Kevin Ratcliffe.

I couldn’t say who our best fullbacks have been.

Joey Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I always struggle with the defence on this subject and end up sticking John Charles at Centre Back with Kevin Ratcliffe.

I couldn’t say who our best fullbacks have been.
    Stuart Williams, Graham Williams, Peter Rodrigues, Alf Sherwood from days gone by.

Southall

Sherwood
    England
    Ratcliffe
    Ben Davies

Meredith
    Allen
    Speed
    Bale

Charles
    Rush

Subs

Hennessey
    Williams
    Yorath
    Ramsey
    Cliff Jones
    Ron Davies
    Mark Hughes

Can't believe I couldn't get Mark Hughes in the starting eleven, it could be done by moving John Charles to centre half instead of Mike England I suppose, but I wanted to have him up front.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Southall

Sherwood
    England
    Ratcliffe
    Ben Davies

Meredith
    Allen
    Speed
    Bale

Charles
    Rush

Subs

Hennessey
    Williams
    Yorath
    Ramsey
    Cliff Jones
    Ron Davies
    Mark Hughes

Can't believe I couldn't get Mark Hughes in the starting eleven, it could be done by moving John Charles to centre half instead of Mike England I suppose, but I wanted to have him up front.
    no Giggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no Giggs?
    Probably “withdrew” due to “injury”

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no Giggs?
    Ashamed to say I forgot all about him. However, apart from some of his early internationals, I can't remember too many great performances from Giggs in a Wales shirt - he'd be in competition with Gareth Bale and Billy Meredith for a place in my team and I'd definitely have Bale in front of him as much for how their commitment to Wales compared as anything, while Meredith is an iconic figure in the game's history. I'm happy to keep the starting eleven as it is, but Giggs should be one of the subs, so he can come in for Cliff Jones.

Southall

Sherwood
    England
    Ratcliffe
    Ben Davies

Meredith
    Allen
    Speed
    Bale

Charles
    Rush

Subs

Hennessey
    Williams
    Yorath
    Ramsey
    Cliff Jones
    Ron Davies
    Mark Hughes

Who is Allen? Not Joe Allen surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Who is Allen? Not Joe Allen surely?
    Yes, he was superb in our best performance in a major tournament and we don't half miss him when he's not available. The team I picked needed a sitting midfield player and I think Allen has done that job as well as anyone I've seen play it - I would have picked Aaron Ramsey in the starting eleven as well, but he has missed too many matches down the years for that.

Bale is now probably the best Welsh player ive seen.

Id have to fit Curtis in somewhere.

Yes, he was superb in our best performance in a major tournament and we don't half miss him when he's not available. The team I picked needed a sitting midfield player and I think Allen has done that job as well as anyone I've seen play it - I would have picked Aaron Ramsey in the starting eleven as well, but he has missed too many matches down the years for that.
    Hey its your team. I dont think id fit him in a third team. Ramsey is levels above him. Id even fit in Hughes there.

I think id go bonkers if this was reality and no Ramsey Curtis or Hughes and Joe Allen on the pitch.

No mention of Ivor Allchurch?

Allchurch was in my team at first, then on the bench, but I had too many attacking players and he was the one to drop out to get someone like Yorath (who was versatile and could cover a few positions) in the squad.

Bit harsh this, he's had more caps than Allen

Soothall Speed Ratcliffe Gabbidon Davies Giggs Ramsey Hughes Curtis Bale

Id liked to have had Robbie James in as well.

Can’t see any mention of Ron & Wyn Davis (spelling) for the bench

Not putting this name forward, but who was the short arsed bearded fella from Brum ?

Just come to me, Trevor Hockey , wasn’t it ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Can’t see any mention of Ron & Wyn Davis (spelling) for the bench
    Ron Davies is a sub in my team, I'd have Toshack in the squad before Wyn Davies.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Bit harsh this, he's had more caps than Allen
    You won't get a bigger Ramsey fan than me and, clearly, what happened with the Shawcross horror tackle should not be held against him, but, leaving that injury aside, he has missed so many games down the years.

You won't get a bigger Ramsey fan than me and, clearly, what happened with the Shawcross horror tackle should not be held against him, but, leaving that injury aside, he has missed so many games down the years.
    He has, which is a shame. On another note, I googled Aaron Ramsey to check his cap record because I had an inkling he still had a decent amount of caps, and I see it's being suggested again that he's going to be used in a swap deal because Juve don't want him..."Juventus keen to axe flop" for example.

This is after a Daily Mail article last week calling him the worst Juventus signing in 5 years https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ears-move.html

As soon as Pirlo came in they were saying he didn't rate him, he's going to go etc but he's in the starting lineup pretty consistently and was the best player on the pitch against Barcelona the other day. I don't really understand this weird agenda against him

Would have to be the best team of my time as I honestly have no perspective sadly on John Charles, Alf Sherwood or Billy Meredith... mine is then similar to Hilts list. I’d play 3-5-2 to try and accommodate the players I’d want

Southall

Gabbidon
    Ratcliffe
    Davies

Speed
    Ramsey
    Bellamy
    Giggs
    Bale

Toshack
    Rush

Subs:
    Hughes
    Saunders
    Allen
    Sprake
    Robbie James
    Leighton James (begrudgingly)

Southall should be a shoe in for ‘keeper but I’ll throw in a honorary mention for Arsenal stalwart Jack Kelsey.

Southall

Sherwood
    England
    Ratcliffe
    Ben Davies

Meredith
    Allen
    Speed
    Bale

Charles
    Rush

Subs

Hennessey
    Williams
    Yorath
    Ramsey
    Cliff Jones
    Ron Davies
    Mark Hughes

Ivor Allchurch in place of Joe Allen

Southall
    James Charles Ratcliffe Speed
    Bale Ramsey Giggs
    Saunders Rush Hughes