+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Of Topic - New Boiler

Of Topic - New Boiler

Hi Boiler is on the way out (25 years old) This forum is usually top draw at this kind off stuff, so hope you don't mind me asking.

So going to need a new boiler and I have no idea what I am looking for, and the do's and dont's

Current boiler came with our new build house 25 years ago, it is a standard gas boiler that heats up a large water tank in an upstairs cupboard.

should we look at a direct replacement? is this the cheapest option? average ball park figures I should be looking at?

I literally have no idea if a new boiler is 1k or 10k

Is it better to get a combi? I guess that means we can get rid of the water tank and use the space for storage then?
    would the plumber do this at the same time?

Also is it worth doing anything else at the same time? I know with cars it is good to do some jobs together.. eg. a service with a timing chain change as you already have the engine open ect, it is cost effective.
    Is this the case in getting a new boiler, anything other jobs that go with it?

cheers.

If needed: 3 bed two story detached, 2 adults,

Re: Of Topic - New Boiler

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Hi Boiler is on the way out (25 years old) This forum is usually top draw at this kind off stuff, so hope you don't mind me asking.

So going to need a new boiler and I have no idea what I am looking for, and the do's and dont's

Current boiler came with our new build house 25 years ago, it is a standard gas boiler that heats up a large water tank in an upstairs cupboard.

should we look at a direct replacement? is this the cheapest option? average ball park figures I should be looking at?

I literally have no idea if a new boiler is 1k or 10k

Is it better to get a combi? I guess that means we can get rid of the water tank and use the space for storage then?
    would the plumber do this at the same time?

Also is it worth doing anything else at the same time? I know with cars it is good to do some jobs together.. eg. a service with a timing chain change as you already have the engine open ect, it is cost effective.
    Is this the case in getting a new boiler, anything other jobs that go with it?

cheers.

If needed: 3 bed two story detached, 2 adults,
    Go straight to a combi rip out the back boiler and tank

Budget 2k for the boiler, then probably another £500 for the making good of decoration after it

When we replaced our boiler last year we looked at a combi but we have a couple of power showers and these don't work with combis

I had an Alpha E-TEC 33 Combi installed back in May.

Absolutely fantastic.

If you want the boiler to go somewhere else in your house, now is the time to do it!.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Thought this was another Kaye Burley thread

whatever you do, do not buy a ferroli optimax boiler, they are the shittest ones I've ever seen.

I've had a few combi boilers and they've been great, although people seem to be moving away from them and I'm not sure why exactly. my parents got a new boiler last year and they got convinced to have a standard boiler / hot water tank setup despite it only being the two of them living there.

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Go straight to a combi rip out the back boiler and tank

Budget 2k for the boiler, then probably another £500 for the making good of decoration after it
    Absolutely no need to rip out the back boiler. It's doing no harm where it is and the work involved will wreck your sitting room. Just leav it!!

I have a Worcester 28cdi

Its still doing ok and is 20 years old

Get a Vaillant combi. Can't go wrong.

You are prob looking at £2k-£3k inc labour, unless you use British Gas, then it'll be £5k-£6k.

Where are you?
    I had one done last year for £1400, but that was mate-rate.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    When we replaced our boiler last year we looked at a combi but we have a couple of power showers and these don't work with combis
    I went from oil to gas combi, had to put an electric shower in. Best thing I've done, ended up with a new drive, boiler moved to the garage and a better shower! Can't really give a price as I did as much of it as I could myself.

Went for a Worcester boiler. If your central heating system is quite old don't forget to put a magna clean in.

These people fitted a new boiler for us about two years ago https://www.capsel.co.uk/home-services/gas-heating/ Replace the old boiler and ripped the tank in the airing cupboard and the two in the loft and replaced with a combi boiler. They did a great job and the gas bills are much lower now. Cost about £2500.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    You are prob looking at £2k-£3k inc labour, unless you use British Gas, then it'll be £5k-£6k.

Where are you?
    I had one done last year for £1400, but that was mate-rate.
    Bridgend mate

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    These people fitted a new boiler for us about two years ago https://www.capsel.co.uk/home-services/gas-heating/ Replace the old boiler and ripped the tank in the airing cupboard and the two in the loft and replaced with a combi boiler. They did a great job and the gas bills are much lower now. Cost about £2500.
    thanks for the recommendation will have a look

You can install a new boiler yourself. It's complicated, but you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    not the best advice I've ever seen on here.

I'll have a go at any DIY, I won't touch anything to do with gas.

For the OP. Never EVER fit a boiler yourself, unless of course you truly know what you're doing.

Real bad advice there.

It's been mentioned in the thread already, but ask the fitter to install a cleaner like Fernox F1 or something similar. It's stop debris collecting in the system.

I've done it. Obviously, if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't try. But if you're patient and thorough it can be done.

Get a Vaillant combi. Can't go wrong.
    You can...I did. Go Worcester Bosch

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    not the best advice I've ever seen on here.

I'll have a go at any DIY, I won't touch anything to do with gas.
    No chance...there’s good deals out there with 5 or 8 years cover free too

Try these guys,

https://pritchardtotalhome.co.uk/

Will give you advice on your needs.

I've done it. Obviously, if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't try. But if you're patient and thorough it can be done.
    I think it's illegal here if you are not registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I think it's illegal here if you are not registered.
    It is. You should have appropriate paperwork to prove the boiler has been properly fitted and serviced if you come to sell the house.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    It is. You should have appropriate paperwork to prove the boiler has been properly fitted and serviced if you come to sell the house.
    Oops.

In the UK, you have to have a current "Gas safe" certificate to fit ANYTHING involving gas, else it's ellegal, and your nsurance will be invalid if anything goes wrong.
    Also you'll have problems if you want to move house and there's no installation certificate.