+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi Ajeyi

Semi Ajeyi

Excellent again tonight against Man City.

Never got a start for us. Let him go on a Free Transfer.

Hard to fathom.

Re: Semi Ajeyi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Hard to fathom.
    Tough for him to break through at the time. One of those things, but annoying none the less.

Brought in by Slade for nothing, let go on a free by Warnock.

Peltier also got on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Peltier also got on tonight.
    I presume Mrs Peltier was happy with this.

It's not that hard to fathom really, was well down the pecking order and not ready at the time.

His first team experience at Rotherham played a massive part in his development.

All hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    It's not that hard to fathom really, was well down the pecking order and not ready at the time.

His first team experience at Rotherham played a massive part in his development.

All hindsight.
    he went on loan at Rotherham first, and probably could have been loaned again. but we had no interest in developing any youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he went on loan at Rotherham first, and probably could have been loaned again. but we had no interest in developing any youngsters.
    Or he didn't want to sign a new deal. He was 23 for crying out loud. 100 games later he made it back to the level we were at. He needed to put down some proper roots. Ajayi is probably a good Championship defender but let's keep some perspective. We didn't release Maldini. Good for Ajayi but let's not forget what happened in 17/18, the season after he left. Would we have loaned him out again in 18/19?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Or he didn't want to sign a new deal. He was 23 for crying out loud. 100 games later he made it back to the level we were at. He needed to put down some proper roots. Ajayi is probably a good Championship defender but let's keep some perspective. We didn't release Maldini. Good for Ajayi but let's not forget what happened in 17/18, the season after he left. Would we have loaned him out again in 18/19?
    Colin had no interest in developing him. Why can’t you accept that? Stop making excuses for the mans shortism policies.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Colin had no interest in developing him. Why can’t you accept that? Stop making excuses for the mans shortism policies.
    Absolutely. He wasn't part of his plans.

All hindsight.
    As he didn’t get a game for us I gathered that he was well down the pecking order at the time. And your correct it’s hindsight given we sold him 4 years ago.

Watching him play now it’s just a bit of a shame that he had to leave for Rotherham for his development.

All hindsight.
    Ajayi was 24 when he left us and three years later he's playing in the Premier League. I honestly don't think that there are many other clubs besides Cardiff City who would deem a player "not ready" in their mid twenties - maybe if we'd have been bold enough to give him a chance just before he left, he could have established himself and put himself in the running to be our Young Player of the season in 2018?

West Brom have conceded the most goals in the Premier League this season.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We had four centre-backs (Morrison, Bamba, Ecuele Manga, and Connolly) under contract for the 2017/18 season. Why would Ajayi have signed a new deal with us in that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We had four centre-backs (Morrison, Bamba, Ecuele Manga, and Connolly) under contract for the 2017/18 season. Why would Ajayi have signed a new deal with us in that situation?
    Because one of those four hardly played for us again, another one left a year later and another one was getting towards his mid thirties - with a different approach and a little foresight from City, he would, surely, have been happy to stay rather than go to Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Because one of those four hardly played for us again, another one left a year later and another one was getting towards his mid thirties - with a different approach and a little foresight from City, he would, surely, have been happy to stay rather than go to Rotherham.
    Why? He'd already been at the club for two years and not played a single minute for us. Morrison, Bamba, and Ecuele Manga were clearly ahead of him in the pecking order, so he'd have been fourth choice at best.

Why? He'd already been at the club for two years and not played a single minute for us.
    I think this is the different approach TOBW is hinting at.

Why? He'd already been at the club for two years and not played a single minute for us. Morrison, Bamba, and Ecuele Manga were clearly ahead of him in the pecking order, so he'd have been fourth choice at best.
    Fourth choice with a good chance of being second choice a year later - there was always a good chance that Bruno, who was thirty himself by then, would be moving on soon and Bamba was at an age where his performance levels could decline quickly. Truth is though, I was daft to mention "foresight" because City have proved over a period of years that they don't do foresight.

I think this is the different approach TOBW is hinting at.
    He had loans first at league 2 level, then league one, then at championship level
    After leaving us he briefly dipped back to league 1 and then has done very well at championship level and now is a premier league player. Early in his career he had a reputation for looking commanding , but dropping the occasional clanger. But Rotherham persisted with him and with experience he's become quite the player.

I can't understand why he's made it to the premier league and none of the players we've loaned to Weston Super Mare have made it yet?
    Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Fourth choice with a good chance of being second choice a year later - there was always a good chance that Bruno, who was thirty himself by then, would be moving on soon and Bamba was at an age where his performance levels could decline quickly. Truth is though, I was daft to mention "foresight" because City have proved over a period of years that they don't do foresight.
    Hindsight is 20/20, unless you are claiming that was your opinion in March 2017 when Ajayi signed a contract with Rotherham?

At the end of the 14/15 season we had Ajayi at the club in desperate need for some first team action, a run of games at the end of the season where we had literally nothing to play for and we chose to play Danny Gabbidon, who was going to be out of contract a few weeks later. We also played Gabbidon in the league cup and Ajayi was on the bench.

We've needed a better approach to bringing youngsters through for years.

Hard to fathom.
    Didn't show enough at the time I guess , some players flourish in better in different environments or mature into better players , wasn't De Bruyne and Salah at Chelsea , Vardy was a lower league player for years ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Didn't show enough at the time I guess , some players flourish in better in different environments or mature into better players , wasn't De Bruyne and Salah at Chelsea , Vardy was a lower league player for years ??
    Was just about to use Cheslea, KDB and Salah as my example. It happens at all clubs.

Hindsight is 20/20, unless you are claiming that was your opinion in March 2017 when Ajayi signed a contract with Rotherham?
    Did I think Ajayi would be playing in the Premier League within three years? No I didn't. Did I think that he was someone who could do a job for us based on what I had seen of him in what I would guess would be around twenty appearances for our under 23s? Yes I did. All four of those centrebacks you mentioned were thirty plus or getting fairly close to that age and so it was clear that a degree of rebuilding would need to be carried out in that position.

Ajayi's subsequent career proves I was underestimating him when I thought of him as only a potential Championship player, but, more important than that, our manager at the time didn't rate him that highly - if he had done, there wouldn't have been any need to have spent all of those millions on Aden Flint.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Was just about to use Cheslea, KDB and Salah as my example. It happens at all clubs.
    Both sold under mourihnio, who also throughout his career has neglected youth developmemt, and has a history of starting really well at clubs, but after 3 seasons leaving them in a horrible mess.