+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

How much unpaid overtime do you do?

First Team

Re: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

One of the few joys of being self employed. Do it and you bill it. Then again you have to wait for months and months to then receive it.

I have a built in honesty box,

On rare occasions I will finish 30/45 mins early or take extended lunch break, if I have commitments in my outside work life. and not officially tell anyone or book it off, but then I will equally do something extra in my week which I feel will match/make up for that loss time.

I feel by the end of the week I have done the same if not more work than if I was in the office but have completed loads more jobs and gotten way more done because I have been flexible when I needed to and worked when I usually would be bumming round. the joys of working from home!

a couple of hours a week

About 3 days a month....usual for NHS

None, Council - strictly flexi clocking in and out. As I've been working from home I'm tempted to clock in if I'm even thinking about work
    Last edited by Freitag 4.17; 16-12-20 at 21:59. Reason: ****s sake

Between 5-15

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Between 5-15
    A week?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    A week?
    Yes. Im supposed to work 8-5 with an hour lunch. Rarely have a full hour and rarely finish dead on 5. Often work til 7/8pm.

Between 5-15
    If that's a week, then you need to have a word, although i do understand compromise, especially if you're working for a small to medium outfit. I was self employed for 26 years, if i worked out all the hours i worked, pricing jobs, traveling, sitting down doing estimates, cleaning out the van, running around for material etc, i'd have been on about £3.50 per hour

Yes. Im supposed to work 8-5 with an hour lunch. Rarely have a full hour and rarely finish dead on 5. Often work til 7/8pm.
    That is absolutely nuts. You must either really love your job or you're being seriously taken advantage of.
    Last edited by Freitag 4.17; 16-12-20 at 22:20. Reason: crumbs

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    That is absolutely nuts. You must either really love your job or you're being seriously taken advantage of.
    Yup, **** that, unless it was short term pain for long term gain.

I'm contracted to work 37.5 hours a week. I probably work about 40

It is what it is. I live 5 mins from the office, no commuting. That would add 1.5/2 hours a day if I worked in Cardiff.

I now live around 2 metres from my office, I’m still not giving it 15hrs/week for free! That’s crazy man!?

It depends and comes in waves, pre-pandemic I’d say anywhere between 2-5hrs a week perhaps. I have about two working day’s worth of flexi/toil built up atm but since wfh I’ve now tended to be more disciplined with my time, working on less, but also have less reason to take time off, either through overtime or leave. Normally I’d use built up overtime to have an early finish on Friday or another less busy day.

I think when we do move back to incorporating some office based working, having to commute to the office, etc., I will make more of an effort to be stricter on finishing time as it seems silly in retrospect to be spending longer than contracted in an office and delaying a trip on cramped public transport.

I now live around 2 metres from my office, I’m still not giving it 15hrs/week for free! That’s crazy man!?
    15 is an extreme, usually before im due a holiday where I try and get as much done for my colleagues as possible, or end of the month when production is at its busiest. I do more 5 hour overtime weeks than 15 hours. Plus its not technically free because its built into my salary where extra hours are expected. Obviously not 15 hours but 5 hours is neither here nor there to me and mindset. I work to print deadlines you cant just log off at 5pm and leave things for the morning. Its not the public sector.

I do take some hours back but nowhere near what I give.

you cant just log off at 5pm and leave things for the morning. Its not the public sector.
    Ignorance is bliss

4 hours a month maybe, that's more than enough thank you, and I make sure I take more than a few leisurely poo's on work time to cover

Hard to know because my contract says something like 35 hours, plus whatever is needed. I certainly do more than 35. I imagine I average about 50, but some weeks can be mental and I’ll do 80+. I actually took a job that was more traditional 9-5 but couldn’t deal with the lack of stress so went back to the one I’m in now. Sometimes I hate it and sometimes it gets a bit too much, but on the whole it’s a rewarding job and on the whole I like it. What does irritate me is when people assume I’m ok to work whenever they want, in particular my colleagues in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Hard to know because my contract says something like 35 hours, plus whatever is needed. I certainly do more than 35. I imagine I average about 50, but some weeks can be mental and I’ll do 80+. I actually took a job that was more traditional 9-5 but couldn’t deal with the lack of stress so went back to the one I’m in now. Sometimes I hate it and sometimes it gets a bit too much, but on the whole it’s a rewarding job and on the whole I like it. What does irritate me is when people assume I’m ok to work whenever they want, in particular my colleagues in the US.
    wait, you do between 15-45 additional hours unpaid!?

None

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    Ignorance is bliss
    Slave labour

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    None
    You’d need a job first

Far less than I used to deliberately. Rarely take more than 20-30 mins for lunch. Almost never work late. Sometimes work for an hour or so over the weekend depending on what I have coming up on Monday.