+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

Re: How much unpaid overtime do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    wait, you do between 15-45 additional hours unpaid!?
    45 extra is very rare, maybe only once or twice a year and normally means working overnight or doing significant amounts on the weekend. We used to have a rule that if you did two weeks of 50+hours in a row, you got a day off to recover. The maths don't really stack up on that! And for the more junior people we do have to monitor it as we might have NMW issues otherwise. It's down a lot while I'm working from home because I'm more detached from others doing the same thing.

But my contract doesn't say 35 hours. It says my office hours are 9-5, but to be flexible depending on the business needs. So it's not overtime really. When I started I used to work longer hours than I do now but I did switch off when I left the office. Nowadays I do try to finish up by 7, but with work iPhones and working from home, I never really switch off properly. And that is much more exhausting than the extra hours.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    Ignorance is bliss
    Go on, enlighten me....

Typically 18 but it's been up to 30 hours on occasions. 2 hours a day during the week & Sat/Sun mornings,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If that's a week, then you need to have a word, although i do understand compromise, especially if you're working for a small to medium outfit. I was self employed for 26 years, if i worked out all the hours i worked, pricing jobs, traveling, sitting down doing estimates, cleaning out the van, running around for material etc, i'd have been on about £3.50 per hour
    It works both ways mate. I use it to my advantage when the time is right. It helps with pay negotiations. Id rather work a few extra hours and bump my own pay than they employ more people so I can finish on time. Plus, it’s not like I’m on 8 quid an hour and giving them an extra 20% or on a zero hour contract so earning **** all in the quiet periods.

We’ve recently let a third of the staff go thanks to covid. By putting a few extra hours in and being flexible then it obviously helps on these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    15 is an extreme, usually before im due a holiday where I try and get as much done for my colleagues as possible, or end of the month when production is at its busiest. I do more 5 hour overtime weeks than 15 hours. Plus its not technically free because its built into my salary where extra hours are expected. Obviously not 15 hours but 5 hours is neither here nor there to me and mindset. I work to print deadlines you cant just log off at 5pm and leave things for the morning. Its not the public sector.

I do take some hours back but nowhere near what I give.
    what a martyr

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    what a martyr
    Grafter

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    45 extra is very rare, maybe only once or twice a year and normally means working overnight or doing significant amounts on the weekend. We used to have a rule that if you did two weeks of 50+hours in a row, you got a day off to recover. The maths don't really stack up on that! And for the more junior people we do have to monitor it as we might have NMW issues otherwise. It's down a lot while I'm working from home because I'm more detached from others doing the same thing.

But my contract doesn't say 35 hours. It says my office hours are 9-5, but to be flexible depending on the business needs. So it's not overtime really. When I started I used to work longer hours than I do now but I did switch off when I left the office. Nowadays I do try to finish up by 7, but with work iPhones and working from home, I never really switch off properly. And that is much more exhausting than the extra hours.
    What is NMW?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What is NMW?
    National minimum wage. And we are talking about people who would be considered to be on decent pay, here. £25k-£30k. In the crazy months, minimum wage becomes a problem on that sort of salary.

Grafter
    My arse! bet you load videos on Linkedin and use hastags for your #grafting. Anyone doing that much overtime who isn't a front-line, or support health worker, and/or is at war...then sorry, got to be a marketing gig?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    What is NMW?
    National Minimum Wage

Brexit?

Brexit?
    Not sure I follow? To be honest I've no idea why the rule disappeared. Possibly because it is so obviously a piss-take. They did introduce paid overtime for staff below a certain grade at the same time... But the time that people put in and the time that hits a time sheet isnt always the same thing. It is what it is. It's horrible at times, but mostly it's pretty good.

My arse! bet you load videos on Linkedin and use hastags for your #grafting. Anyone doing that much overtime who isn't a front-line, or support health worker, and/or is at war...then sorry, got to be a marketing gig?
    That much overtime? 5-15 on their 40 hour week? To anyone with the slightest bit of work ethic it’s **** all. I know people working 72 hour weeks and earn less.

LinkedIn ffs. Pretentious? Moi?

That much overtime? 5-15 on their 40 hour week? To anyone with the slightest bit of work ethic it’s **** all. I know people working 72 hour weeks and earn less.

LinkedIn ffs. Pretentious? Moi?
    Me for example

Anyway you have earned enough from your fishing books

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Me for example

Anyway you have earned enough from your fishing books
    And my catalogue work.

You’d need a job first
    Lol that's why the country is in a state it is with idiot's comments like that

Since March I'm in the negative. My employers have gone above and beyond in allowing me paid time off to care for a relative during pandemic.

Not sure I follow? To be honest I've no idea why the rule disappeared. Possibly because it is so obviously a piss-take. They did introduce paid overtime for staff below a certain grade at the same time... But the time that people put in and the time that hits a time sheet isnt always the same thing. It is what it is. It's horrible at times, but mostly it's pretty good.
    i was just taking the p1ss as most European countries follow the very strict working regulations and in Spain the collective bargaining agreement for your sector is serious, with most HR respecting and fearing it. Since Brexit is all about less red tape i was just being stupid that the UK doesn't follow any guidelines

I think in Germany you go to prison for working extra hours.

I’m on a 40 hour a week contract but always work around 55 per week. I typically work 12 hour days Mon-Thurs (7 til 7) with half day on a Friday (4 hours). Then a couple of hours over the weekend. My job is pretty stressful so the long hours do take it’s toll mentally, but I do get looked after by the company in other ways. And finishing at 11am on Fridays is amazing!

Certainly not what I used to do but I’d say on average I do 10-20 hours additional a week if you look at admin at the laptop in the evenings and weekends. My contract says 37.5 but that means little in the private healthcare sector as a field service engineer. I work in hospital laboratories installing and servicing/repairing robotic automation and blood analysers so you just can’t walk out and leave a lab with a compromised service. Well, I say that, you can but it’s not within my nature or that of the bulk of my colleagues worldwide. It’s a salaried position as are many jobs, so the 37.5 hours is really only useful when working out what paid overtime we do get. Which is only paid at weekends if priorly agreed. When I lived in Scotland I was doing 60+ hours a week and it nearly broke me. It certainly broke my relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Lol that's why the country is in a state it is with idiot's comments like that
    Yes of course it is. Nothing to do with the buffoons running the country. Light hearted digs on a message board are the reason for the country’s demise 😂😂

Worked till 8.30 last night. Had a 2 hour lunch to go for a haircut and popped home for tea for an hour at 5pm. So probably 2 hours extra.

Clear the decks ready for today, Fridays always busiest day but managed to finish on time and have my hour lunch. Managed my time well today.

Done about 6/7 hours extra this week.

Worked till 8.30 last night. Had a 2 hour lunch to go for a haircut and popped home for tea for an hour at 5pm. So probably 2 hours extra.

Clear the decks ready for today, Fridays always busiest day but managed to finish on time and have my hour lunch. Managed my time well today.

Done about 6/7 hours extra this week.
    2 hours!!!! Shouldn’t have grown your bloody hair so long

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    2 hours!!!! Shouldn’t have grown your bloody hair so long
    Couldn’t risk another covid cut😄

I bill a professional working day - which is expected to be a minimum 8 hours but can be as much as 12.
    I don’t really think of it as overtime as I’m just getting paid to get a job done.