+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canelo v Smith

First Team

Re: Canelo v Smith

Canelo and more importantly his team cherry pick his opponents.
    It was reported that they had a list of 8 fighters in the running for this fight and see Smith as the most beatable and yet most credible with a world title and a zero next to his name.
    Smith is a very decent fighter but Canelo is a truly great champion. A few people are picking up on the height/ reach advantage and that old Father Time must appear sooner rather than later when taking into account his ring experience. However , I am going for a stoppage in 6/7 rounds for Canelo. With my recent track record on sporting predictions you had best lump the life savings on Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Canelo and more importantly his team cherry pick his opponents.
    It was reported that they had a list of 8 fighters in the running for this fight and see Smith as the most beatable and yet most credible with a world title and a zero next to his name.
    Smith is a very decent fighter but Canelo is a truly great champion. A few people are picking up on the height/ reach advantage and that old Father Time must appear sooner rather than later when taking into account his ring experience. However , I am going for a stoppage in 6/7 rounds for Canelo. With my recent track record on sporting predictions you had best lump the life savings on Smith.
    I don’t think you can accuse a man who’s fought Golovkin twice, Mayweather, Kovalev, Daniel Jacobs, Cotto twice, Moseley.etc.etc of cherry picking fights.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I don’t think you can accuse a man who’s fought Golovkin twice, Mayweather, Kovalev, Daniel Jacobs, Cotto twice, Moseley.etc.etc of cherry picking fights.
    Also stepping up to the weight he has to take on some of his opponent's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If Smith does go the distance and puts himself in a position where he looks like he could win on points, then he wont get a decision in his favour. Canelo is the PPV golden Goose, and that Goose aint getting cooked.
    Same over here with the Matchroom top fighters.

It was Cotto's brother, Jose he fought on one of those occasions, although you are right, he did fight cotto twice
    I agree with what you're saying though. The only thing canelo can be accused of is putting the rehydration clauses in that suit him. He turned pro at fifteen and is a master counter puncher has a chin like granite and a brilliant defence. I think that smith could get the upper hand early on, keeping Canelo at range and using the jab, straight right, and i don't think that he'll be daft in going for canelo, although once they've felt eachothers power it'll be game on. Body shots could do for smith, Canelo has only ever been hurt once or twice and recovered quickly. It's an interesting fight. Smith is young and very fit, technically sound. I don't think that canelo will jump on him. I'm going either late stoppage, canelo or points win canelo.

It was Cotto's brother, Jose he fought on one of those occasions, although you are right, he did fight cotto twice
    I agree with what you're saying though. The only thing canelo can be accused of is putting the rehydration clauses in that suit him. He turned pro at fifteen and is a master counter puncher has a chin like granite and a brilliant defence. I think that smith could get the upper hand early on, keeping Canelo at range and using the jab, straight right, and i don't think that he'll be daft in going for canelo, although once they've felt eachothers power it'll be game on. Body shots could do for smith, Canelo has only ever been hurt once or twice and recovered quickly. It's an interesting fight. Smith is young and very fit, technically sound. I don't think that canelo will jump on him. I'm going either late stoppage, canelo or points win canelo.
    The point still stands.

For every Matthew Hatton or Rocky Fielding there’s an elite fighter on his record.

The point still stands.

For every Matthew Hatton or Rocky Fielding there’s an elite fighter on his record.
    He's probably PfP best at the moment. He was hurt against Golovkin on several occasions. His recovery rate is incredible. I'm genuinely intrigued as to how Smith goes about fighting Canelo, he's got height, power and reach advantage. He's also very technically sound if a bit upright. I'd love to see smith get the job done, although nothing really tells me that he will.

The point still stands.

Mathew Hatton took some shit from canelo though, i'm sure he went the distance with him?

As i said in the OP, there is no doubting Canelos pedigree, although imo he lost the 1st fight against Golovkin. Many think Smith lost against Ryder, so it evens out the dodgy decisions.😀
    I might be wrong, but i get the feeling that Smith is the type of fighter who needs a top opponent to really bring out the best in him.
    I’ve no doubt if Smith is not at the top of his game, then he’ll lose, but i’ve got a gut feeling he’s gonna rise to the occasion.

I just can't see a way that Smith wins this fight, he'll never knock him out and I think he'll struggle to win on points. Canelo by TKO in 8 for me. But to be honest I don't care anymore, I just want to know who'd win in a fight between JR Hartley's uncle and Tuerto's grandad now

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I just can't see a way that Smith wins this fight, he'll never knock him out and I think he'll struggle to win on points. Canelo by TKO in 8 for me. But to be honest I don't care anymore, I just want to know who'd win in a fight between JR Hartley's uncle and Tuerto's grandad now
    My grandad was like Brad Pitt in snatch, not as good looking though.

My grandad was like Brad Pitt in snatch, not as good looking though.
    My uncle has started training again since he retired 18 months ago. He’s 72.

Smith just not good enough. Showed plenty of guts and took everything Canelo threw at him, but came up very short on the night.
    By the way,. £1.99 is great value for this new channel.

Levels

Struggled to score a round for Smith.
    He was absolutely battered by Canelo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Struggled to score a round for Smith.
    He was absolutely battered by Canelo.
    He was petrified of him. Glad he got through 12 rounds in the end after a spiteful beating but that’s all the gameplan seemed to be from round 1. Survival.

Easier said than done tho. Canelo is flawless.

He was petrified of him. Glad he got through 12 rounds in the end after a spiteful beating but that’s all the gameplan seemed to be from round 1. Survival.

Easier said than done tho. Canelo is flawless.
    Really thought Smith had a bit more about him, but as you say, he was on the back foot from the 1st bell. After 4 rounds, Smith was never gonna win it on points, so why not just throw caution to the wind and go for it.
    Still think Golovkin is better than Canelo

Needed far more to his jab to stand any chance, Canelo just closed the gap with ease and then when in range he is so accurate.

Easier said than done, but with a 7 inch height advantage and whatever reach he has that had to be one of the foundations to keep Canelo at bay.

Fair play to him though, took a gradual beating through the rounds but never looked really like going down, just never winning either, landed so few

Canelo is a tough customer.

Smith didn't seem to throw as many jabs initially and if anything got less as the fight wore on.
    The few decent shots that Smith did land just bounced off Canelo and had little effect.

The head movement on Canelo while moving in and stalking down his opponent is something else.

I believe the judges scored 11-1, 9-3 and 9-3 to Canelo. I was half asleep at the time but what I recall is that the fight was very one. sided. Smith was devastated but you have to admit he was beaten by a class act.

Smith didn't make many excuses but says that he might move up.

Not sure if he had a bicep injury there but the swelling on Smith's one arm was something I've not seen in boxing before.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    i get the feeling that Smith is the type of fighter who needs a top opponent to really bring out the best in him.
    I’ve no doubt if Smith is not at the top of his game, then he’ll lose, but i’ve got a gut feeling he’s gonna rise to the occasion.
    Shocking prediction from yourself, laughable.

Shows your lack of boxing knowledge.

And you initially laughed at my post that Smith is rubbish.

I repeat, Smith has never beaten anyone of note, bar a one armed washed up Groves.

This battering from Canelo was no surprise.

Smith got beat up last time out by a small British journeyman. But, Ryder was robbed by the judges.

Smith’s title he held is the result of brilliant match making and great hype by Eddie Hearn, which made both of them a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Shocking prediction from yourself, laughable.

Shows your lack of boxing knowledge.

And you initially laughed at my post that Smith is rubbish.

I repeat, Smith has never beaten anyone of note, bar a one armed washed up Groves.

This battering from Canelo was no surprise.

Smith got beat up last time out by a small British journeyman. But, Ryder was robbed by the judges.

Smith’s title he held is the result of brilliant match making and great hype by Eddie Hearn, which made both of them a lot of money.
    What’s laughable, is you describing Smith as “rubbish”. My prediction was way off mark, but
    ,i had confidence in him pitting up a better showing than he did. That said, Smith has never been on the floor, and as one sided as todays fight was, he never once looked like getting put down.
    If you are talking dodgy decisions, then look no further than todays winner.
    Judges robbed Golovkin in the 1st fight.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I decided to get DAZN and it wasn't much of a decision at £2 and it is great value.

It has an archive of fights from the last 30 years including both Canelo-GGG fights among others.

I am sounding like a DAZN salesman here but I am just astounded at the value you get given the latest Sky PPV offerings and the Loma-Lopez offering that was £9.99 on FITE.
    In Canada for $150 a year (£90) I get the same boxing coverage you do (they also have Joshua), every PL Game, every NFL game, every 6 nations game, most cricket test matches, the PDC darts, snooker and a bunch of other stuff...

It is literally the best value for money I’ve ever had on anything... I suspect prices will rise but I couldn’t be happier with it

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I believe the judges scored 11-1, 9-3 and 9-3 to Canelo. I was half asleep at the time but what I recall is that the fight was very one. sided. Smith was devastated but you have to admit he was beaten by a class act.
    11-1,11-1 & 9-3... he got destroyed. Canelo didn’t even sit down at the end of the rounds from the something like the 8th onwards