+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: FT:NORWICH CITY 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: FT:NORWICH CITY 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The way I see it we didn’t have the answer. Whatever we tried they had a solution. Very good side, I’d kill to watch football like that down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    It works against the average and mediocre teams of this division. We struggle against the good ones.
    We do.

It is Harris acceptance of the inevitable that frustrates me though.

It is a game of opinions though. Some on this very thread think we could have got a draw. I must have watched a different game because if we had lost by a few more goals we couldn't have complained.

The way I see it we didn’t have the answer. Whatever we tried they had a solution. Very good side, I’d kill to watch football like that down here.
    Are they that good really? I felt we were far too soft all over the pitch and made it about as easy an afternoon as they could have had.

No one can argue they don't have a better squad than us, of course they do. They play prettier football too of course.

But it's still a Norwich that finished the Premier league season on 21 points, 13 behind the other 2 relegated teams.

They spent fairly modestly whilst there and again this summer. Best thing they did was keep Farke when most clubs would have got rid in the hope of someone turning it around.

A solid, stable, well run club that will likely be top 2, they really shouldn't be lightyears ahead of us though and more fool us if they genuinely are.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Will Osei-Tutu be fit again after Christmas? We really need Bacuna back in midfield.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Cardiff manager Neil Harris:

"To me it looked like a game too far for us. We looked leggy, we looked laboured at times and we made errors we don't usually make.

"When you play against good teams you can't give them opportunities like we did. I can't fault the players' effort.

"The goals summed us up - we got split in midfield, half a yard off all over the pitch, and when you give players like they've got an opportunity, even from 25 yards, they find the bottom corners. They're Premier League players.

"As much as we weren't at our levels, I think they showed their class and it's something for us to aspire to, that quality. They're top for a reason."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55283942
    I said in another thread yesterday that we weren't expected to get anything from the game today and would have taken a draw there and then.
    Problem was we were way off getting a point, even though it was only 2 nil.
    We were beaten in virtually every department, maybe apart from chances from set pieces, which we had quite a few of.

We didn't get a lot of help from the referee, something we've had to get used to especially on the road, but their pressing when we had the ball made us retreat whereas when they had the ball, our pressing saw them pass it through us and create forward space.
    The fact is that if Pukki was in any kind of form today, it would have been a lot worse for us and, whilst we can be critical of our own performance, credit must be given to a side which is a lot better than ours.
    A struggling Premier league team they look like to me.

I'm just hoping that we can beat the sides around us and get a couple of key positions strengthened, even if it means drafting in some inexperienced kids.
    If we can do that then the play off should still be within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Are they that good really? I felt we were far too soft all over the pitch and made it about as easy an afternoon as they could have had.

No one can argue they don't have a better squad than us, of course they do. They play prettier football too of course.

But it's still a Norwich that finished the Premier league season on 21 points, 13 behind the other 2 relegated teams.

They spent fairly modestly whilst there and again this summer. Best thing they did was keep Farke when most clubs would have got rid in the hope of someone turning it around.

A solid, stable, well run club that will likely be top 2, they really shouldn't be lightyears ahead of us though and more fool us if they genuinely are.
    Buendia and Cantwell are far too good for this division. Aaron’s too. Thankfully Pukki forgot his shooting boots today.

They spent wisely. We on the other hand did not. Our last 4 transfer windows under Warnock were an absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    True, but we COULD have scored a couple...
    then again, Naarritch COULD have scored 5 or 6.
    I think the xG will be fairly close for that game.
    we lost to a good team but we were compatitive

Buendia and Cantwell are far too good for this division. Aaron’s too. Thankfully Pukki forgot his shooting boots today.

They spent wisely. We on the other hand did not. Our last 4 transfer windows under Warnock were an absolute joke.
    Cant argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

You make an interesting point in that their season in the Premier League was far worse than ours (despite everyone saying how good they were!) and yet they seem to have coped with relegation much better than we have.

Is that due to them maintaining consistency by not sacking Farke as you say, or does it run deeper, in that their club is run more sensibly than ours (not sacking Farke being a good example, but also I sense a more progressive approach on and off the pitch)?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You could say the same about your constant refusal to see his all too clear failings.

As I say we will see who is ultimately right. There is a very clear difference here between success and failure in giving Harris the chance. The board want promotion. If he doesn't get that then he will have failed. In the eyes of the board, at this time they will view this as a failure as they wanted top six.

Me posting here achieves nothing. Butting heads achieves nothing. If we get promoted I will say that I am wrong. If we ultimately fail and not move from plan A though I will say that I told you so.
    An excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    And he leaves out Watford.
    You forgot the footballing master class that we apparently handed out at Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Doesn't fit their ridiculous narrative. We also played pretty well against Bournemouth so its strange he's put them in.

I don't think any of us are arguing we're an incredible side, but we clearly aren't mediocre
    This is a serious question and I’m not trying to be provocative here in anyway: do you honestly think that ‘we clearly aren’t mediocre’?

There is probably a lot of truth in this especially the last part.

See another post on this thread about how their season in the Premier League was way worse than ours, and yet they are in much better shape all round than we are :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    There is probably a lot of truth in this especially the last part.

See another post on this thread about how their season in the Premier League was way worse than ours, and yet they are in much better shape all round than we are :-(
    Shit player appointments and hardly any output from the youth academy, for whatever reason. That's put paid to any developmental process. Look at the jacks, they've sold anything and everything worth a shilling, but their recruitment policy and youth development has kept them in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    You could say the same about your constant refusal to see his all too clear failings.

As I say we will see who is ultimately right. There is a very clear difference here between success and failure in giving Harris the chance. The board want promotion. If he doesn't get that then he will have failed. In the eyes of the board, at this time they will view this as a failure as they wanted top six.

Me posting here achieves nothing. Butting heads achieves nothing. If we get promoted I will say that I am wrong. If we ultimately fail and not move from plan A though I will say that I told you so.
    What are you mumbling on about? How can you say I told you so? Did I say Harris would get us promoted ? No. I’m a realist, I think he’s working with a limited squad.

I stick up for him because I don’t believe sacking the manager every time they have a bad run is the answer and also the likes of you and your fellow deluded entitied idiots crying after every defeat, even moaning when we win like we have a divine right to win every game and win it in style get on my tits.

The board can wish for what they want until they give him all the tools for a proper promotion charge, as they did Warnock, then it is highly unlikely we will achieve it.

The squad we have is certainly not good enough for automatic promotion, probably not even for play offs so I don’t view Harris not achieving play offs as a failure. The 3 sides that come down have far better squads, so do Brentford who splashed 10m on a striker this season, Forest have thrown silly money at it this season, Swansea have signed well and still have a 20m player upfront for them, Stoke have a good squad. There’s 7 teams we have no divine right finishing above, there’s probably more. Knocking around the top 10 is where we are as a club at the moment. Play offs again will be a massive achievement.

I do find it quite laughable you want to measure him against the desires of a men who you have been most vocal about them being useless and haven’t got a clue. Not that I disagree but if you think sacking Harris and a new manager working with the same players will magically make us nailed on for promotion then it will be me coming to you saying I told you so when that doesn’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    And he leaves out Watford.
    And Stoke, they must be fuming being in the top 7 or 8 being beat at home by mediocre City.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    And Stoke, they must be fuming being in the top 7 or 8 being beat at home by mediocre City.
    And Huddersfield that useless team we beat that have just beaten Watford today and are only 5 points off at offs themselves.

We all know that the football isn’t great and sides like Norwich, who’s are now 5 points clear of the field, will, of course, find us out as they have done to most others this season. But, 5 wins out of 7, 2 of them away to clubs above us and the 2 solitary defeats to the runaway leaders and the side in 3rd place is a far cry from what was being predicted five or six weeks ago. Results wise even the most pessimistic on here have to admit that things are looking a little rosier than our bleak start to the season.

We all know that the football isn’t great and sides like Norwich, who’s are now 5 points clear of the field, will, of course, find us out as they have done to most others this season. But, 5 wins out of 7, 2 of them away to clubs above us and the 2 solitary defeats to the runaway leaders and the side in 3rd place is a far cry from what was being predicted five or six weeks ago. Results wise even the most pessimistic on here have to admit that things are looking a little rosier than our bleak start to the season.
    A couple of wins over Christmas and New Year would put us on track to finish with 70 points, which was enough to sneak into the play-offs last season.

Mediocre? We were truly dreadful that night. Everyone conceded that.

Scores on the doors that count

What are you mumbling on about? How can you say I told you so? Did I say Harris would get us promoted ? No. I’m a realist, I think he’s working with a limited squad.

I stick up for him because I don’t believe sacking the manager every time they have a bad run is the answer and also the likes of you and your fellow deluded entitied idiots crying after every defeat, even moaning when we win like we have a divine right to win every game and win it in style get on my tits.

The board can wish for what they want until they give him all the tools for a proper promotion charge, as they did Warnock, then it is highly unlikely we will achieve it.

The squad we have is certainly not good enough for automatic promotion, probably not even for play offs so I don’t view Harris not achieving play offs as a failure. The 3 sides that come down have far better squads, so do Brentford who splashed 10m on a striker this season, Forest have thrown silly money at it this season, Swansea have signed well and still have a 20m player upfront for them, Stoke have a good squad. There’s 7 teams we have no divine right finishing above, there’s probably more. Knocking around the top 10 is where we are as a club at the moment. Play offs again will be a massive achievement.

I do find it quite laughable you want to measure him against the desires of a men who you have been most vocal about them being useless and haven’t got a clue. Not that I disagree but if you think sacking Harris and a new manager working with the same players will magically make us nailed on for promotion then it will be me coming to you saying I told you so when that doesn’t happen.
    So you don't think he will take us up?

He finished 5th last season and he is making progress according to people like you.

You say I mumble on and am deluded and then say you're happy with 10th.

No wonder you seem happy with what we're currently producing by way of performances.

I think I'll leave it there. The board bring in a man and give him targets and you think he is doing well. The twist in all of this though is that he is doing well by your standards and 10th is fine. You call me deluded and an idiot but think that a team that were relegated from the league above and finished 5th last season is progressing if they finish 10th.

And so Stoke must be fuming, because as poor as we were, we came away with the three points. (A regular occurrence in our last promotion year, grinding out results on many occasion, not pretty but it got us to second place), your point is?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Scores on the doors that count
    VERY analytical! Lol

Most definitely.

But what JR said: "Our last 4 transfer windows under Warnock were an absolute joke" is what concerns me most. How is Harris going to get us out of that mess? And if he does, how long will it take and what sort of team will we be then?

Harris' remit apparently is to get us into the playoffs. That is the problem. His remit should be to rebuild the team so that next time we get promoted we have a fighting chance of staying up.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Most definitely.

But what JR said: "Our last 4 transfer windows under Warnock were an absolute joke" is what concerns me most. How is Harris going to get us out of that mess? And if he does, how long will it take and what sort of team will we be then?

Harris' remit apparently is to get us into the playoffs. That is the problem. His remit should be to rebuild the team so that next time we get promoted we have a fighting chance of staying up.
    This style of football won't keep us up if we were to get promoted.

If you give technically better teams than you the majority of the ball and are too passive with your press then you get played through and picked apart as we did today.