+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Out of contract at the end of the season.

Out of contract at the end of the season.

Junior Hoilett
    Joe Bennett
    Greg Cunningham
    Sol Bamba
    Joe Day
    Mark Harris
    Tom Sang
    I reckon Mark Harris will stay.Possibly Sol in a coaching role and thats it.

Re: Out of contract at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Junior Hoilett
    Joe Bennett
    Greg Cunningham
    Sol Bamba
    Joe Day
    Mark Harris
    Tom Sang
    Agree. No parachute payments. The summer will be a rebuilding job.

I'd give Junior 1 year. Nothing more.
    We can't get rid of Cunningham and Bennet. Take your pick.
    I know nothing about Sol's supposed coaching prowess, but I definitely wouldn't sign him to a playing contract.
    If we release Joe Day we'll have to replace him.
    Tom Sang - No idea.
    I'd offer Mark Harris a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'd give Junior 1 year. Nothing more.
    We can't get rid of Cunningham and Bennet. Take your pick.
    I know nothing about Sol's supposed coaching prowess, but I definitely wouldn't sign him to a playing contract.
    If we release Joe Day we'll have to replace him.
    Tom Sang - No idea.
    I'd offer Mark Harris a contract.
    Presuming we dont go up then we will need to bring the wage bill down and its an opportunity to bring the age of the squad down.

All the over 30s there will go. Im sure Hoillet in particular will get a better deal elsewhere anyway.

Finances are going to mean they will be gone.

This summer will be a major rebuilding job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Presuming we dont go up then we will need to bring the wage bill down and its an opportunity to bring the age of the squad down.

All the over 30s there will go. Im sure Hoillet in particular will get a better deal elsewhere anyway.

Finances are going to mean they will be gone.

This summer will be a major rebuilding job.
    I'm all in favor of letting them all go as long as they're adequately replaced.

I'm all in favor of letting them all go as long as they're adequately replaced.
    Thats going to be the problem. Im not saying I want them all gone either.

Finance will mean they will go.

They're talking to Bennett and Hoilett (Harris has said so), M Harris has an option of another year.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Junior Hoilett
    Joe Bennett
    Greg Cunningham
    Sol Bamba
    Joe Day
    Mark Harris
    Tom Sang
    yes, coupled to the fact we have no right backs and only 2 wingers, both of whom are massively out of favour.

I'd offer harris a new deal, no idea about Sang.

I'd be tempted to offer Bennett a one year deal, as at least then that would be one position sorted as presumably Bagan will be more involved.

I doubt that Bennett, Cunningham, or Hoilett will sign one-year contract extensions. They would probably be able to get better offers elsewhere.

Of course, lots of other players out of contract at the end of the season:

Here are a select few (ignoring anyone over 30)

Josh King - Bournemough FW
    Steve Cook - Bournemouth CB
    Bradley Dack - Blackburn AM
    Juniniho Bacuna - Huddersfield CM (Leandro's brother)
    Isaac Mbenza - Huddersfield CB
    Britt Assombalonga - Boro FW
    Adam Smith - Bournemouth RB
    Andreas Weimann - Bristol RW
    Famara Diedhou - Bristol FW
    Alex Pritchard - Hudds AM
    Daniel Johnson - PNE AM
    Alan Browne - PNE CM
    Alex Mowatt - Barnsley CM
    Emiliano Marcondes - Brentford AM
    Nick Powell - Stoke AM
    Ben Davies - PNE CB
    Andre Wisdom - Derby RB
    Kadeem Harris - Sheff Weds RW
    Alen Halilovic - Birmingham AM

There are tons more too.

One or two of those wold obviously be looking for a move up a division, but many of those will be in this division next year and there are some decent players amongst that lot

Ben Pearson, Johnson, Browne, Hughes and Davies at PNE would all be realistic and would improve the side.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I doubt that Bennett, Cunningham, or Hoilett will sign one-year contract extensions. They would probably be able to get better offers elsewhere.
    They would probably have to drop down a division to get anything like a 3-year deal. However, in my opinion, they are all currently above average Championship players.

When is Flint's contact up? He's going to be 32 by the start of next season and he's only made 4 appearances for Wednesday this season.

They would probably have to drop down a division to get anything like a 3-year deal. However, in my opinion, they are all currently above average Championship players.

When is Flint's contact up? He's going to be 32 by the start of next season and he's only made 4 appearances for Wednesday this season.
    Flint has another year with us

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Ben Pearson, Johnson, Browne, Hughes and Davies at PNE would all be realistic and would improve the side.
    They could share a taxi down as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Of course, lots of other players out of contract at the end of the season:

Here are a select few (ignoring anyone over 30)

Josh King - Bournemough FW
    Steve Cook - Bournemouth CB
    Bradley Dack - Blackburn AM
    Juniniho Bacuna - Huddersfield CM (Leandro's brother)
    Isaac Mbenza - Huddersfield CB
    Britt Assombalonga - Boro FW
    Adam Smith - Bournemouth RB
    Andreas Weimann - Bristol RW
    Famara Diedhou - Bristol FW
    Alex Pritchard - Hudds AM
    Daniel Johnson - PNE AM
    Alan Browne - PNE CM
    Alex Mowatt - Barnsley CM
    Emiliano Marcondes - Brentford AM
    Nick Powell - Stoke AM
    Ben Davies - PNE CB
    Andre Wisdom - Derby RB
    Kadeem Harris - Sheff Weds RW
    Alen Halilovic - Birmingham AM

There are tons more too.

One or two of those wold obviously be looking for a move up a division, but many of those will be in this division next year and there are some decent players amongst that lot
    One of Dack, Powell or Pritchard would do me although there's a bit of a risk in all of them. Mowatt to play a bit deeper and Adam Smith.

Incidentally, if George Ratcliffe is really as good as the club and media were making out a while back, we definitely don't need a goalkeeping replacement for Day.

A massive amount will depend on wages they're looking for and what sort of contract length too.

Week one:

Re-signing one of Bennett and Cunnigham with greater game time for Bagan seems to make sense, a lot of people seem to like Sol Bamba as a potential coach so maybe it's time to start that shifting of responsibilities, we should re-sign Harris, and our captain has his contract expire the following year so open negotiations with him too.

Week two:

Make a decision on whether Ralls, Pack and Vaulks fits what we're trying to do longer term. Do we keep Pack because what he hasn't got (pace) isn't going to deteriorate any further, Ralls because Walesonline have suggested he's got sufficient ball skills and is stepping up to be a leader in the dressing room, or Vaulks because presumably he must be the cheapest and offers real leadership on and off the pitch?

Find someone to take Flint off our books for a year and make a decision on Tom Sang.

Work out what to do with Josh Murphy.

Week three:

As much as I love Hoilett and think he has a lot to offer us in and out of starting 11, I don't think he's a priority to cover short or longer-term thinking. Reckon he's also a team player and would appreciate the down-time before thinking about next year considering short summer last two years (covid and Canada duties).

Start to fill the considerable gaps in our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of Dack, Powell or Pritchard would do me although there's a bit of a risk in all of them. Mowatt to play a bit deeper and Adam Smith.

Incidentally, if George Ratcliffe is really as good as the club and media were making out a while back, we definitely don't need a goalkeeping replacement for Day.
    Maybe not but wouldn't we want him to go out on loan again?
    The ideal would be loan with option of re-call but that's going to limit the clubs looking at him and ready to offer game time.

Regarding Tom Sang - I've been watching quite a lot of Cheltenham on iFollow, I wouldn't sign him. Unless you're looking for someone who can hit the corner flag from about 10 yards!

We are going to need a lot of new players next season, with 4 loanees going back and a number of players out of contract.

I suspect any deals offered to players such as Bennett and Holiett will be on less money than they are on now, and on shorter contracts. So I would expect them to go elsewhere. They've both got good track records with us so should get fixed up elsewhere. We'll be on a serious cost cutting exercise unless we get promoted.

Cunningham and Bamba can go as far as I am concerned, as well as Bennett and Holiett. Harris has shown enough in the last few games to earn a new deal, and will be cheap. Day will obviously go too. Not to sure about Sang. I thought Smithies was at the end of his 3 year deal too, or has he had it extended?

Don't know enough about Sang
    Harris another year.

Other than that I'd just offer Hoilett a new 1 year deal and the rest can go. I'd try and get a fee for Bennett in Jan

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Maybe not but wouldn't we want him to go out on loan again?
    The ideal would be loan with option of re-call but that's going to limit the clubs looking at him and ready to offer game time.
    It may be worth sending him out on loan again, but I wouldn't let him go to a Welsh League club or a team like Weston if it was my decision. I don't see the point in signing a third senior keeper if the club are serious about Ratcliffe, it would be a waste of money.

Andre wisdom was quite highly rated a few years ago, could be a good option for RB.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Don't know enough about Sang
    Harris another year.

Other than that I'd just offer Hoilett a new 1 year deal and the rest can go. I'd try and get a fee for Bennett in Jan
    Sang started for Cheltenham at Barrow today.. ... taken off at H/T!