+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skint, On The Bones Of Your Arse....

Skint, On The Bones Of Your Arse....

How much would it cost you-as a single person, living on your own-to feed yourself for a week?

And i'm talking balanced, with nutritional value. I'm going to go for £15 per week. No booze or luxuries though.

It would take some planning and it would be a bit shit, but with some preperation and a shit load of imagination, could it be done? I suppose fresh veg and fruit can be pricey, and meat, even the frozen stuff at that budget. Maybe i'm way out, what do people think.

Re: Skint, On The Bones Of Your Arse....

I reckon you could easily live on 1 pound a day short term on food. If I lived alone I'd certainly try it

Boiled rice and pasta with some sauce for tea. With some frozen veg in it
    Egg on toast for dinner

You make one huge meal and freeze it in 7 boxes. Add rice or pasta.

Biggest way to eat cheap is to buy in bulk, but who can afford to do that when they are skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    You make one huge meal and freeze it in 7 boxes. Add rice or pasta.

Biggest way to eat cheap is to buy in bulk, but who can afford to do that when they are skint?
    I was listening to Marcus Rashford's mum saying that at times they didn't even have any bread in the house, i can remember that happening regularly when i was a kid, **** all in the food cupboard and no food banks back then. Plenty of kids going hungry in this country as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How much would it cost you-as a single person, living on your own-to feed yourself for a week?

And i'm talking balanced, with nutritional value. I'm going to go for £15 per week. No booze or luxuries though.

It would take some planning and it would be a bit shit, but with some preperation and a shit load of imagination, could it be done? I suppose fresh veg and fruit can be pricey, and meat, even the frozen stuff at that budget. Maybe i'm way out, what do people think.
    Pancakes are really filling. Eggs, milk and flour all cheap. You also gotta suss out when your local supermarket reduces stuff. I've been there following the lady around with the yellow stickers.

When I was in uni I fed myself for well under £15 a week, prob under £10 to be fair, but it was mainly pasta, and tuna so it falls out of the healthy side you mention (tuna aside!) But if you just meant staying fed short term, easily done
    Luckily I’ve always enjoyed pasta

Pasta, onions, garlic and tinned tomatoes could go far if you could stomach that every day

What you need is time, enthusiasm and resources. I reckon most people could do it for a week but weeks on end with no defined end point?

I do have a degree of sympathy with people trying to buy homes on their own or with young children.

Rent is so expensive and even if you have a decent amount of money behind you there's so much pressure on people competing with others and that all costs money.

I think a lot of people would probably go without food rather than go without a phone.

We are pretty lucky in this country food is very cheap. Its housing prices which are expensive and causing people to have **** all.

Way back in 1979. i had just bought my flat in London (for a massive £14,000 ) and I had little spare cash after paying the bills.
    I found buying a large jont (eg a whole shoulder of pork) would give me a roast dinner on Sunday plus lunch sarnies hot evening meals until Wednesday, then some cheap stuff for the other 3 days. Cost about a pound per day (for comparison, beer was about 50p a pint then.

If I could stand beans on toast every day it would be a lot cheaper.

Is this just the cost of the food - or does it also cover the cost of electric/gas and all the other things needed to avoid cold/raw veg (and tuna)?

Didn't some Tory MP try to live on some small amount in a council flat about 20 years ago - and got loads of TV and newspaper publicity for trying to prove the state was generous - only to be caught out cheating (food from family and nipping home for a delux sleep)?

£15 p.w. may be possible (if you can get to a low cost supermarket without blowing half your budget on bus fares) but miserable!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Is this just the cost of the food - or does it also cover the cost of electric/gas and all the other things needed to avoid cold/raw veg (and tuna)?

Didn't some Tory MP try to live on some small amount in a council flat about 20 years ago - and got loads of TV and newspaper publicity for trying to prove the state was generous - only to be caught out cheating (food from family and nipping home for a delux sleep)?

£15 p.w. may be possible (if you can get to a low cost supermarket without blowing half your budget on bus fares) but miserable!
    People always forget to take electricity, transport etc into account. You get those people (usually Tories) that say "its easy, just cook a week's worth of meals on the weekend!". Ok, where do I store the meals? Freezer? Ok, how do I pay for the freezer? How do I buy a week's worth of food at once? What is this magical meal that can ensure a balanced diet for a family for an entire week?

For what it's worth I spend around £12 a week on food (sometimes more sometimes less dependent on offers etc), but I'm only cooking for myself and don't really mind eating the same stuff regularly. Luckily I have a Lidl near my house and the capability to cook meals in batches and store them

Just food. I've been thinking about it as i'm stuck in at the moment and having food delivered by relatives, the top up stuff, not the main shop. The amount of money i spunk on food is ridiculous, although having to eat on £15 would be just as ridiculous. May i add that it's not me who is the fussy eater, that's the rest of the clan. I was brought up to eat almost anything that was put in front of me, we had little choice.

Mathew Parish wasn't it ?

Ian Duncan Smith lasted 3 days I think

Not a dig at you but I find these kind of posts on social media nauseating and insulting.

Usually posted by people who don’t need to live on such a budget asking why poor people can’t.

Not saying that’s what you’re doing here but it’s just reminds me of some of the nonsense I’ve seen posted on social media lately.

You’d need to double up. Cook meals that last 2 days.

If I was given £60 per month to feed myself I think I could do it. Bigger packs, batch cooking would make it easier.
    Being given £15 each week would make it harder, but weetabix for breakfast, beans on toast for lunch and a jacket potato with tuna in the evening is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Not a dig at you but I find these kind of posts on social media nauseating and insulting.

Usually posted by people who don’t need to live on such a budget asking why poor people can’t.

Not saying that’s what you’re doing here but it’s just reminds me of some of the nonsense I’ve seen posted on social media lately.
    I'm not doing that. Trust me, i've gone without food, and heat-electricity, i was one of those people-child. It was just a thought i had as i spend so much on food and my little darlings are so bloody picky-that's my fault though

I have done some careful shopping for folk who don't have much and I would say own branded stuff like tin beans , spaghetti,
    Pasta , Rice , fresh vegetables from Asda , eggs are relatively affordable.

Buying the Aldi / Lidl own brands are such good value.

I'd say for 20 pounds a week you'd have a good supply of food .

What is very expensive and a worry , is heating , lighting and rents

On the subject of kids I think my lad lived off chicken nuggets smiley faces and pizza till he was 16.
    In my house as a kid if you didn't eat what mam cooked you went hungry there were no 2nd choices.
    It's surprising how quick you got to like liver and onions and the such like.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    On the subject of kids I think my lad lived off chicken nuggets smiley faces and pizza till he was 16.
    In my house as a kid if you didn't eat what mam cooked you went hungry there were no 2nd choices.
    It's surprising how quick you got to like liver and onions and the such like.
    Same as my childhood,if it is what has been cooked that is what you have to eat.

I'm not doing that. Trust me, i've gone without food, and heat-electricity, i was one of those people-child. It was just a thought i had as i spend so much on food and my little darlings are so bloody picky-that's my fault though
    I can understand your post , as a youngster we were extremely poor some day very little food , as an adult with young family poverty struck again having to declare myself personally bankrupt through a judgement court order which was awful , just to get rid of my debts , tough times , lived of very little .

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Same as my childhood,if it is what has been cooked that is what you have to eat.
    Bang on, i was told that if i didn't eat it, then my sister would, then the dog There was no second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I can understand your post , as a youngster we were extremely poor some day very little food , as an adult with young family poverty struck again having to declare myself personally bankrupt through a judgement court order which was awful , just to get rid of my debts , tough times , lived of very little .
    That's awful mate, being truly skint for long periods can be damaging, especially for kids. It can make you stronger though, more resilient to adversity, tougher.

No, I know you’re not mate, just been bugging me a lot on social media lately with smart arsed comments in reply to Marchs Rashford and his fight for children’s meals. I see people who I grew up with on the Gurnos estate who are doing ok now and forgot where they come from. Sticking up for Tory policies and the type of people who wouldn’t cross the road to piss on them if they were on fire on and that is just the type of crap they come out with. Wanted to get it off my chest