+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Filip Benkovic

Filip Benkovic

Brendan Rodgers had his say:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...dgers-19482868

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers has told Filip Benkovic he has to earn Neil Harris' trust and force his way into the Cardiff City team as the January transfer window looms.

The Foxes are currently enduring something of a defensive injury crisis, prompting talk of a possible recall for Benkovic over the coming weeks, something Rodgers did not rule out entirely.

“There’s been none as of yet (conversations on short-term plan for Benkovic)," said Rodgers.

"The whole idea was for him to play but I’m also a manager and if a player for whatever reason isn’t performing in games or training, and isn’t worthy of playing… I know the business we’re in.

"So he’s obviously not played as much as he would like but he’s got to get his head down and keep working and if he gets the opportunity to play over this busy period, hopefully he can win the trust of the manager and play more games."

“It’s not really what we’re thinking about at the minute (his long-term future at Leicester)," Rodgers added.

"He needs to play games and at the minute he’s not playing at Leicester and now he’s not playing at Cardiff.

"It’s something where we need to get Filip playing. He needs to get working again and show the level he can play at.

"Thankfully for myself, I’ve seen the level. When he was with me at Celtic he played against RB Leipzig and he was sensational. Really since that first 10 games at Celtic, he hasn’t maintained a level of fitness and performance that I know he can.

"Hopefully for him he get playing again and if it’s not going to be at Cardiff in the longer term, then we’ll look at it from there."

Re: Filip Benkovic

Fair comments. You'd think he must be getting a run out/start soon enough with the amount of games Nelson and Morrison have already played in.

Rodgers doesn’t rate him at all. Seen a few interviews and he hasn’t had anything positive to say about him.

No doubt they will think twice before sending another.

I have a freind who is a Celtic fan and thought he was half decent, however outside of Celtic and Rangers I'm not sure how the overall quality of the Scottish leagues is compared to the Championship.

Once he is fit probably January time he may appear and I hope he does well and puts some pressure on Nelson who I think has done very well .

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    No doubt they will think twice before sending another.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Why?
    So our knowledgeable fans have been clamouring to field a player who has an attitude problem, in some cases to replace a guy who has scored the winning goal in 2 of the last 3 games?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I have a freind who is a Celtic fan and thought he was half decent, however outside of Celtic and Rangers I'm not sure how the overall quality of the Scottish leagues is compared to the Championship.

Once he is fit probably January time he may appear and I hope he does well and puts some pressure on Nelson who I think has done very well .
    He’s taking longer than Gareth Bale to get fit ffs. Must be more to it than fitness were in December!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    So our knowledgeable fans have been clamouring to field a player who has an attitude problem, in some cases to replace a guy who has scored the winning goal in 2 of the last 3 games?
    Why does he have an attitude problem? And what's wrong with wanting to see him play? You loan a player from a quality team like Leicester and obviously, you want to see what he's like. Or at least hear from the manager why we haven't. He played 56 times for Dinamo Zagreb. He's been on the bench and couldn't get 5 minutes against the jacks? We've heard more from Benedan Rodgers than we have from Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why does he have an attitude problem? And what's wrong with wanting to see him play? You loan a player from a quality team like Leicester and obviously, you want to see what he's like. Or at least hear from the manager why we haven't. He played 56 times for Dinamo Zagreb. He's been on the bench and couldn't get 5 minutes against the jacks? We've heard more from Benedan Rodgers than we have from Harris.
    Harris doesn't have to discuss who and why he picks to play with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I think that you'll find that there are certain people who he most definitely has to discuss it with.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Oh, do **** off. It's called "news". And the club are only too willing to have you go to their website or download their app so you can listen to the players and the manager talk and maybe buy some of the club tat while you're there.

Presumably Benkovic played the whole of the recent practice game against Newport, so, that makes around one hundred and sixty five minutes of football since he came here. If he were to start today, surely he would struggle given that lack of game time - maybe ninety minutes for the Development team on Tuesday will see him considered for the game's over the holiday period?

We should send Benković back to Leicester on 1st January if he can't get in the team ahead of Curtis Nelson after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    We should send Benković back to Leicester on 1st January if he can't get in the team ahead of Curtis Nelson after Christmas.
    Can we do that? If he's loaned for the season and we send him back early does it free up a loan place?

Has to come in on Boxing Day surely? Nelson needs a break