+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Favorite Overseas Cities/Towns and Why.....

Three Favorite Overseas Cities/Towns and Why.....

I long to travel again, and have been lucky enough to travel extensively over the years. I'd be interested to know what others favorites are and why, but here are mine.

Adelaide, South Australia - Maybe a little biased here as I did my primary schooling there, but was fortunate enough to visit, just before this horrible pandemic. Adelaide is the city in Australia that nobody seems to talk about, but to me it has everything, beautiful inner city parks, fabulous weather, the superb Adelaide Oval, under an hour to the Barossa Valley, 20 minutes to nature and the Adelaide Hills.

Hanoi, Vietnam - Was my second port of call in Vietnam, and how I imagined 'Real' Vietnam, lovely historic place full of culture, great food and very cheap fantastic hotels.

New York - The City that never sleeps, upon my visit, I said "thats it, done it now, wont be back". That was five years ago and now I long to go back. Really enjoyed Central Park, The immigration museum, the eateries and bars, the bustle of Times square, Brooklyn and the bridge and the huge diverse communities.

Two places on the priority bucket list are Vancouver and San Francisco. Whilst there are much more important priorities with health and wellbeing, hopefully the ability to travel with freedom will follow.

Re: Three Favorite Overseas Cities/Towns and Why.....

Boston ;------- So much better than New York. More to see, friendlier people, more history.

Krakow:----- Just great, so much history in such a small area

Budapest:--- See above.

Close 4th, Bratislava

Agree with you about Adelaide, a totally underestimated City. Within 2 hours can be on coast, in countryside, in the mountains/vineyards or in the outback.

Bangkok is in my top 3 because the place in completely nuts, 24 hours a day

I also found Berlin to be a fascinating place mainly because of my interest in WW2 and the Cold War etc

I also think Sydney, Singapore, Kraków and London well worth visiting for different reasons

Cardiff is half decent as well

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Boston ;------- So much better than New York. More to see, friendlier people, more history.

Krakow:----- Just great, so much history in such a small area

Budapest:--- See above.

Close 4th, Bratislava
    On pretty much any level there just isn’t more to see in Boston than NYC... Boston is a nice place but there is literally no comparison.

It varies from time to time dependent on how long since I’ve been there.. today it would be..

Aberaeron - just because I need a fix of Wales

Nashville - food drink and music and a laugh a minute

Paris - it’s been 30 years. My wife has never been. I’ve got to show her it. I don’t think there can be a more beautiful city architecturally anywhere in the world

Today, pre kick off anyway, my favourite would be Norwich

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Today, pre kick off anyway, my favourite would be Norwich
    Do you live overseas?

Aw, c’mon, Aberaeron was mentioned before my post

Toronto - Friendly people, great sports teams, good nightlife, close to some fantastic natural scenery - and got pretty much everything I like about the united states but without the Americans

Munich - Very picturesque, feels ore authentically German than Berlin (which is also great) and the best football stadium in the world

Budapest - Great bars, feels pretty but very rustic, great sites to visit and cheap lager. Birds were fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    This is the most bluetit statement that's ever existed.

First Team

Bologna first went there in 1990 for the World Cup and have been back several times since. Simply wonderful town steeped in history and deservedly has the reputation of being the food capital of Italy.
    Paris - so much wrong with the place but it still is one of the great world cities ( and I spend 2/3 of my year working there out of choice)
    Salzburg - achingly beautiful place and great beer.

BORDEAUX summer of 2016 simply perfect in every way 👌

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    BORDEAUX summer of 2016 simply perfect in every way 👌
    A fine city too.

Mine used to be Hanoi (like Peajay), Prague and Barcelona - partly for the culture and architecture but mainly for the memories.

All of them have changed for the worse since I first visited - Barcelona most of all which has become much more crowded and crime ridden. Hanoi used to be austere, arty, French and dynamic, but it has become more like Saigon over time - with the mess the Americans left behind in 1975. Prague just lost its' magic.

Now I would put Stockholm, Wellington and Valencia at the top - all different and beautiful cities and not too touristy.

3 is almost impossible, I could list at least 30, so I'll list 3 gems that I love as they're lower profile but all superb destinations.
    Gothenburg
    Dresden
    Kyoto

Amsterdam , liberal , laid back , great food , multicultural , interesting coffee bars

Hamburg , see above

Brussels , see above

Krakow
    Seoul
    Toronto

all 3 stunning places for tourists

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Bangkok. Place is mental. Sightseeing is beautiful. Thai boxing at Rajadamnern should be on your bucket list. Food spicy. Beer mostly cheap.

Bagan in Myanmar is probably the most beautiful and relaxing place I’ve ever visited and there you can “watch the dawn come up like thunder on the road to Mandalay” And similarly Siem Reap for the temples, cheap beer and the temple at Ta Prohm. But it’s a long way to go for a couple of days tbf

Seville, Spain, charged with history and culture and easy to travel to from the U.K.
    Last edited by light up the darkness; 20-12-20 at 20:48. Reason: Fingers

I've travelled extensively in my time but not usually to towns or cities.

However, I agree with the OP that Adeleide is a lovely city. Funnily enough the arcades in the main shopping area remind me very much of the ones in Cardiff.

Staying in Oz, Perth is beautiful too and the view from Kings Park over the Swan River is awesome.

Singapore is superb and somewhere I'd like to return to one day.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    On pretty much any level there just isn’t more to see in Boston than NYC... Boston is a nice place but there is literally no comparison.
    Boston is literally the birthplace of the US, with the Sons of Liberty forming there and the Revolutionary wars starting there.

Apart from the sights, New York bored me.

Wouldn’t rush back wasn’t for me

Hong Kong, before the Chinese took it back and possibly ruined it.
    SAN Francisco, just has that right feel to it.
    Berlin, so much recent history and great beers.

Buenos Aires
    Santiago
    St David's

Alghero A beautiful city with history and right by the sea
    Istanbul Fascinating with a real feel of being very different from your standard City
    Split A fun place to be and has history too.

Always thought Sydney was an incredible setting for a city, huge harbour, miles of beaches from Avalon down to crunella, what a place to live. Blue mountains just inland too. Great dining culture also with little Thai kitchens set up in pubs. Byron bay up the coast was one of the best places I’ve ever stayed.
    Oaxaca in central Mexico was another for me, crazy and beautiful, always some carnival going on and a great place to relax in between the Mayan route.
    Hampi in India, going to be ruined by mass tourism no doubt, a truly incredible looking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Buenos Aires
    Santiago
    St David's
    I’d love to go to Buenos Aires