+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tins of corned beef

Tins of corned beef

In response to another posters quip , how the feck do you open those gits ?

That stupid little metal key always snaps on me halfway through the job and trying to use a tin opener on them to finish the job is a killer

Ham ? Normal tin

Spam ?.....Normal

Chicken ......Normal tin

Why is corned bloody beef in those stupid sloping rectangular tins and why goes it have that unusable key
    nightmare going on ?

I bought about 15 tins ready for the inevitable lockdown and they are staring at me in the cupboard , grinning like metal rats !

Re: Tins of corned beef

I tried cooking Corned Beef fritters for tea but ended up making a hash of it.

Why would you want too.

Never heard of a tin of chicken.

I find opening a tin of corned beef quite satisfying. I bought a few tins during lockdown and I had corned made corned beef and onion pasties. Bloody lush. Don't think I'd had tinned corned beef for about 30 years. It's not a thing here. Corned beef to Americans means sliced brisket from the deli counter.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

That stupid little metal key always snaps on me halfway through the job and trying to use a tin opener on them to finish the job is a killer

Ham ? Normal tin

Spam ?.....Normal

Chicken ......Normal tin

Why is corned bloody beef in those stupid sloping rectangular tins and why goes it have that unusable key
    nightmare going on ?

I bought about 15 tins ready for the inevitable lockdown and they are staring at me in the cupboard , grinning like metal rats !
    When you eventually get one open i often make a bolognaise out of corned beef instead of mince, no gristle or tiny bones. Having said that been using quorn mince a lot as the wife is a veggie.

You’ve got to have a delicate touch. Like fondling a woman’s nipple. You don’t squeeze the key too hard and don’t go too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I find opening a tin of corned beef quite satisfying. I bought a few tins during lockdown and I had corned made corned beef and onion pasties. Bloody lush. Don't think I'd had tinned corned beef for about 30 years. It's not a thing here. Corned beef to Americans means sliced brisket from the deli counter.
    Corned beef pasties made out of corned beef. Is that an original recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You’ve got to have a delicate touch. Like fondling a woman’s nipple. You don’t squeeze the key too hard and don’t go too quickly.
    Unless they want you to.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Thats quick

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Never heard of a tin of chicken.
    Chicken roll in jelly

Lots of it round my way

In that case , I have had it

In that case , I have had it
    Frankie Boyle once said that rubbing a woman's clit was a bit like sanding a bannister.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Frankie Boyle once said that rubbing a woman's clit was a bit like sanding a bannister.
    He's not backwards in coming forwards to be fair

Like an earlier poster, I haven't had tinned corned beef for many, many years. Bought a few tins a while back in advance of the second wave and the inevitable lockdown. Have eaten one so far -great with baked beans and chips!

Corn beef stew

For Sale: 15 tins of the finest Argie corned beef. Never opened, some label damage and missing keys. One careful owner. Open to offers.

The trick is to take them out of the tin

Ham ? Normal tin

Spam ?.....Normal

Chicken ......Normal tin

nightmare going on ?

If they didn't use the 'stupid sloping rectangular tins' then what else could they get to fit the stupid sloping rectangular slabs of 'meat' into!? Think on that.

As an earlier poster said, corned beef is great with beans and chips. Nice in sandwiches too with Branston pickle.

I never have problems opening the tins with the metal key although in the past I've bought some where the keys have fallen off by accident.

As for being a nightmare to open I find Fray Bentos tins top the lot. I've used 2 different types of opener and ended up puncturing the tin with a screw driver and slowly prising it open with a knife. Never again.

Ham ? Normal tin

Spam ?.....Normal

Chicken ......Normal tin

nightmare going on ?

Don't join the army if we declare war after Brexit :

"""Most soldiers know that the*corned beef tins*are made that*shape*so that when the key is used to remove a section from the*tin*the large end will fit over the small end and form its own container for keeping the uneaten part of the*corned beef*fresh.""

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    As an earlier poster said, corned beef is great with beans and chips. Nice in sandwiches too with Branston pickle.

I never have problems opening the tins with the metal key although in the past I've bought some where the keys have fallen off by accident.

As for being a nightmare to open I find Fray Bentos tins top the lot. I've used 2 different types of opener and ended up puncturing the tin with a screw driver and slowly prising it open with a knife. Never again.
    Fray Bentos just requires a little more stamina than usual, I prepare by upping my 'knocking one out' game in the days prior to having to open one.

I do a few different things with corned beef, i mix a tin with pureed carrot, swede and about a quarter of the amount of mash potato, put it into a baking dish and sprinkle grated hard cheese on top and finish it off in the oven. Another dish learned from my time at sea, are 'silver dollar' hash cakes. Corned beef hash shaped into fat circles, dusted with a bit of flour fried in shallow oil and butter, with a nice runny fried egg on top. A more adventurous dish is Penalcaty which is a Geordie/Maccum dish.
    But in answering the OP, i have to agree, the tin can be a bit tricky to open.
    Spedger

I've learned some things in this thread: you can buy a tin of chicken; and minced beef can have bones in it.

I love corned beef, and it is pretty keto friendly. And I have no issues with the tin.

However, there are two types of packaging that simply should not exist any more: firstly, the standard tin with no ring pull. We get through about 5 tin openers a year. I've no idea what I am doing wrong but actually opening one of these bastards is impossible. We are currently on an electric tin opener which is absolutely useless. Secondly: that godawful hard plastic that you have to cut in to with scissors, which is razor sharp and incredibly hard to get in to for no good reason. There is no excuse for this packaging. None.

Swiss Toni?