+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tins of corned beef

Re: Tins of corned beef

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I've learned some things in this thread: you can buy a tin of chicken; and minced beef can have bones in it.

I love corned beef, and it is pretty keto friendly. And I have no issues with the tin.

However, there are two types of packaging that simply should not exist any more: firstly, the standard tin with no ring pull. We get through about 5 tin openers a year. I've no idea what I am doing wrong but actually opening one of these bastards is impossible. We are currently on an electric tin opener which is absolutely useless. Secondly: that godawful hard plastic that you have to cut in to with scissors, which is razor sharp and incredibly hard to get in to for no good reason. There is no excuse for this packaging. None.
    You should try opening a tin of beans with a can opener when you're left handed, not graceful.

I think Corned Beef is a wonderful food due to its marvellous versatility ,from Hash, fritters,sandwiches, pasties it just keeps on giving for those able to open the tins without injuring themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Corn beef stew
    My nan down West used to make this when we visited as kids. Lovely with a few slabs of of thick bread and butter. Called it 'Welsh Dinner'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    I do a few different things with corned beef, i mix a tin with pureed carrot, swede and about a quarter of the amount of mash potato, put it into a baking dish and sprinkle grated hard cheese on top and finish it off in the oven. Another dish learned from my time at sea, are 'silver dollar' hash cakes. Corned beef hash shaped into fat circles, dusted with a bit of flour fried in shallow oil and butter, with a nice runny fried egg on top. A more adventurous dish is Penalcaty which is a Geordie/Maccum dish.
    But in answering the OP, i have to agree, the tin can be a bit tricky to open.
    Spedger
    You'd think you'd be able to get corned beef in round tins to save you having to go through the trouble of reshaping it. Wouldn't need a key either.
    Theyve missed a trick there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You'd think you'd be able to get corned beef in round tins to save you having to go through the trouble of reshaping it. Wouldn't need a key either.
    Theyve missed a trick there.
    Why the **** isn't it in round tins like spam , ham , chopped ham and pork ?

Its a living hell

We get through about 5 tin openers a year.
    This is the same in my house. Tin openers and no stick pans should be available on subscription and delivered every couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Its a living hell
    When I was a kid my dad ended up in A&E on Boxing Day after an accident with an irregular shaped tin of ham. Ruined my Christmas, but at least it prepared me psychologically for future ruined Christmases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    When I was a kid my dad ended up in A&E on Boxing Day after an accident with an irregular shaped tin of ham. Ruined my Christmas, but at least it prepared me psychologically for future ruined Christmases.
    Corned beef , stupid heart shaped tins of ham

What the fecking hell is going on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You should try opening a tin of beans with a can opener when you're left handed, not graceful.
    I am a lefty. Maybe that is the issue. But then my wife is right-handed and she routinely ****s it up as well.

Seriously though - is there a reason to use tins that require an opener any more? Are they more secure/hygenic or something? My eldest is 3. I cannot see why he should ever learn what a tin opener is. I hope he will look at one like I would look at fly paper or a typewriter

I am a lefty. Maybe that is the issue. But then my wife is right-handed and she routinely ****s it up as well.

Seriously though - is there a reason to use tins that require an opener any more? Are they more secure/hygenic or something? My eldest is 3. I cannot see why he should ever learn what a tin opener is. I hope he will look at one like I would look at fly paper or a typewriter
    It doesn't make much sense, although there's the physical aspect to it, nothing like hunting, cooking, eating, although i suppose it's the closest any of us will get to having a physical confrontation with a baked bean. Not that you'd want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    This is the same in my house. Tin openers and no stick pans should be available on subscription and delivered every couple of months.
    Tefal must have sent us 3 replacement sets of non stick pans, we had pans coming out of our ears, all rubbish after a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Tefal must have sent us 3 replacement sets of non stick pans, we had pans coming out of our ears, all rubbish after a few months.
    Can't stand those non stick pans. They never stay on the cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    You should try and stick with them!

How many of you know what the 'corned' adjective means in this context?

I looked it up

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

I looked it up
    Salted isnt it? Mincing beef increases the risks of botulism, so curing it with salt before canning, preserves it.

I looked it up
    hard skin from the sole of a persons foot is mixed in to give it texture and taste?

hard skin from the sole of a persons foot is mixed in to give it texture and taste?
    I think you're on a winner with this suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think you're on a winner with this suggestion.
    Salty?

Is this what people mean when they talk about soul food?

Nailed it.

Red face Re: Tins of corned beef

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Its a living hell
    I broke the key halfway through opening a corned beef tin,then finished the job by using a hacksaw,simples.

Is corned about being preserved then ?

I looked it up
    Boiled with salt

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Boiled with salt
    well whatever it is , sort the flecking tins out !