+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since we signed Peter Thorne

Since we signed Peter Thorne

Here's a list of all the strikers who cost us more than we paid for Peter Thorne. Back in 2002 we paid £1.7m, which seemed like a fortune at the time for a 3rd tier club who had only won promotion a year before.

Chopra - scintillating in his first spell with us, was great until the final few months of his final season - 34 goals.
    Velikonja - apparantly signed without Mackay's consent - 0 goals.
    Maynard - showed great promise early on but suffered a bad injury - 2 goals.
    Odemwingie - crap - 1 goal.
    Cornelius - apparently one for the future - 0 goals.
    Le Fondre - proven goalscorer in the Championship, never happened for him here - 3 goals.
    Lambert - coming to the end of his career - 4 goals.
    Madine - shite - 0 goals
    Sala - sadly we will never know RIP
    Glatzel - divides opinion - 10 goals
    Vassell - does he exist? - 1 goal
    Moore - the most promising striker we've signed for several seasons - 8 goals

Peter Thorne scored 38 goals for us. Chopra apart, our other £1.7m+ strikers have scored 29 goals between them, the vast majority by Glatzel and Moore.

Looking at it, our recruitment of strikers when we've paid decent money for them has been pretty shite.

Re: Since we signed Peter Thorne

I may well be wrong, not sure what league one is like generally but £1.7m feels like it would be a lot for most 3rd tier teams even now, forget 18 years ago!

Moore is one of our best signings full stop in the last 10 years, given the timing and need. He could push on to cult status.

Moore is a right lump

Imagine chopra playing off him

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I may well be wrong, not sure what league one is like generally but £1.7m feels like it would be a lot for most 3rd tier teams even now, forget 18 years ago!
    Absolutely. I can't say I follow League 1 at all, so have no idea of what teams are spending, but I'd be surprised if they're forking out a couple of million on one player.

I reckon at £250,000 the mighty Steve Thompson was a bargain, he scored 16 ?

PS Thorne was a class act .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

Bothroyd cost 350k, as well. The best striker I've seen at the club.

Did Helgusson cost anything? What a warrior he was for us in a promotion season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Bothroyd cost 350k, as well. The best striker I've seen at the club.
    agree total value for money

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

16 from nearly 100 appearances. Pretty crap.

I thought Chops only cost around half a million?

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    I thought Chops only cost around half a million?
    Not when we bought him back from Sunderland.

Bobby decordova Reid?

only him and Cornelius seem to have done anything of note since leaving us as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bobby decordova Reid?

only him and Cornelius seem to have done anything of note since leaving us as well
    Got the feeling we bought him as an attacking midfielder, hence I left him out. Good point about Cornelius. Malky got a lot of stick over signing him, but Malky always said he was one for the future. He was right, just that future wasn't with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Got the feeling we bought him as an attacking midfielder, hence I left him out. Good point about Cornelius. Malky got a lot of stick over signing him, but Malky always said he was one for the future. He was right, just that future wasn't with us.
    Mackay didn't say that when he signed him, he started saying that when it was clear he was way off the pace. Promoted sides don't break their transfer record on a project.

Mackay didn't say that when he signed him, he started saying that when it was clear he was way off the pace. Promoted sides don't break their transfer record on a project.
    Correct.

True. I don't think it made much difference in the end, we were well off the pace most of that season, especially when Solskjaer turned up.

I still think Velikonja could have been good if he'd been given a chance

While we are talking about strikers, who was the last player to score under the Ninian Park floodlights?

Just read this on Wiki when looking up a player.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    While we are talking about strikers, who was the last player to score under the Ninian Park floodlights?

Just read this on Wiki when looking up a player.
    Eddie!

Dave Jones signed Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack for a combined sum of less than £1 million.
    as well as some bad signings too.
    nobody since can match that kind of success rate though.
    was he better at spotting a striker? or did his team's play football that was more likely to let a striker thrive?

Eddie!
    Correct! Congratulations, you win a Xmas get away..oh wait

Dave Jones signed Chopra, Bothroyd and McCormack for a combined sum of less than £1 million.
    was he better at spotting a striker? or did his team's play football that was more likely to let a striker thrive?
    Or did he, and the board, trust his ability to manage difficult personalities moreso than modern managers are given chance to?

In Malky's first season he spoke about complying dossiers on players to reduce risk of it going wrong/increase odds of it going right. Watching careers of Bothroyd before he came and Chopra/McCormack after they left, they would all likely raise significant red flags.

Where is BDR?

Kenwynne Jones should arguably be here too - we swapped him for someone who cost a fair few quid.

And Whitts for a few £000k.

Proper fire power back then.

I still think Velikonja could have been good if he'd been given a chance
    I don't know if that was tongue in cheek but I agree! I watched the U23's regularly when him and Healey were up front for them and their finishing made it worth the effort going to games.