+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Record Home Attendances (excluding internationals)

Record Home Attendances (excluding internationals)

For those that are interested in such things, we are currently lying in 21st place, only being knocked out of the top 20 when West Ham moved into the London Stadium.

For all you Leeds haters out there (and there are a few), you'll be please to note that our record attendance is exactly 1 person more than theirs, 57, 893 to 57, 892 ! Well done to me, I was at the Arsenal game lol

Incidentally, top of the pile is Tottenham with a record home attendance of just over 85, 000.

Re: Record Home Attendances (excluding internationals)

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    For those that are interested in such things, we are currently lying in 21st place, only being knocked out of the top 20 when West Ham moved into the London Stadium.

For all you Leeds haters out there (and there are a few), you'll be please to note that our record attendance is exactly 1 person more than theirs, 57, 893 to 57, 892 ! Well done to me, I was at the Arsenal game lol

Incidentally, top of the pile is Tottenham with a record home attendance of just over 85, 000.
    At Wembley?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    At Wembley?
    Spurs ? Yes in 2016 v Bayern Leverkusen.

International

I recall years ago reading that some time before WW2 Wolves had a crowd of 106,000, whether for a league or cup game I don't know.
    I can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Where would we be if you only include all seater stadia?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I recall years ago reading that some time before WW2 Wolves had a crowd of 106,000, whether for a league or cup game I don't know.
    I can't find a reference to it anywhere.
    No I can't find any reference to it either. These figures are usually unofficial and based on local estimates at the time. Wolves incidentally make it to 19th on the list, two places ahead of us.

Interestingly 14 of the top 16 on the list set their attendance records in the 30's and 40's.
    I would hazard a guess that football wasn't necessarily more popular then, just that there were far less distractions then than there are today.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    No I can't find any reference to it either. These figures are usually unofficial and based on local estimates at the time. Wolves incidentally make it to 19th on the list, two places ahead of us.

Interestingly 14 of the top 16 on the list set their attendance records in the 30's and 40's.
    I would hazard a guess that football wasn't necessarily more popular then, just that there were far less distractions then than there are today.
    Agreed. I wonder where the attendance at the '27 Cup finla stands in the FA games list.
    But probably half the ones who got in weren't counted.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Agreed. I wonder where the attendance at the '27 Cup finla stands in the FA games list.
    But probably half the ones who got in weren't counted.
    Check out the 1923 "White Horse" final between Bolton and West Ham. Official attendance 126,000. Unofficial attendance 300,000 !!

Hampden park had an official capacity of over 180,000 in the 1930s.
    Just checking wiki the 1937 cup final had a crowd of 147k