+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Re: Beatles Music Imortal Or Is It

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    Never been particularly enamoured with the Beatles, but really the success of their records was largely down to the skills of their producer, arranger, composer, conductor and audio engineer George Martin. I guess pretty much anyone could have a hit or two with him pulling the strings.
    Bit like Stock Aitken and Waterman in the 80s?
    I love the Beatles and I retrospectively discovered them I was only very young when they were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    John Rennon
    Paur McCartney
    Lingo Starr
    George Hallison
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Racist reported...............
    Lacist, shirley?

Never been particularly enamoured with the Beatles, but really the success of their records was largely down to the skills of their producer, arranger, composer, conductor and audio engineer George Martin. I guess pretty much anyone could have a hit or two with him pulling the strings.
    Martin was very important but he was the producer. He wasn't the arranger, nor composer, although he did write some of the piano pieces in songs like "In My Life" and "Eleanor Rigby". But, even Martin himself acknowledged it was Lennon and McCartney who approached him about bringing a classical element.

They certainly learnt a lot from him, but let's not overblow his influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Martin was very important but he was the producer. He wasn't the arranger, nor composer, although he did write some of the piano pieces in songs like "In My Life" and "Eleanor Rigby". But, even Martin himself acknowledged it was Lennon and McCartney who approached him about bringing a classical element.

They certainly learnt a lot from him, but let's not overblow his influence.
    They were helped that Martin had quite an open mind as to what was possible. It worked as an excellent team.

The difficulty nowadays is to try and imagine hearing the music when it was first released to appreciate how innovative some of it was !

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    The difficulty nowadays is to try and imagine hearing the music when it was first released to appreciate how innovative some of it was !
    I was in a music lesson in 1990. We asked our music teacher what he liked. He said The Beatles. We poked fun of him for that lesson and the next doing the "oooohs" and shaking our heads. Third lesson, he walked in with Sergeant Pepper. That was the awakening for me. Up to then it was bands like Queen that my mates liked, after that I realised Queen were utter crap and totally pretentious. It turned me on to Bowie, Hendrix, Pet Sounds.

He finished the lesson with "And that's not even their best album". He was right. He won a few of us around that day and that was some 20 years after Pepper was released. I hadn't heard it before, but it didn't sound anything like what I was expecting, and it didn't sound much like anything I had heard up to then.

I was in a music lesson in 1990. We asked our music teacher what he liked. He said The Beatles. We poked fun of him for that lesson and the next doing the "oooohs" and shaking our heads. Third lesson, he walked in with Sergeant Pepper. That was the awakening for me. Up to then it was bands like Queen that my mates liked, after that I realised Queen were utter crap and totally pretentious. It turned me on to Bowie, Hendrix, Pet Sounds.

He finished the lesson with "And that's not even their best album". He was right. He won a few of us around that day and that was some 20 years after Pepper was released. I hadn't heard it before, but it didn't sound anything like what I was expecting, and it didn't sound much like anything I had heard up to then.
    On a similar timescale, that would be like a teacher now doing something similar about Oasis.

Queen = panto

I think George Martin would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    On a similar timescale, that would be like a teacher now doing something similar about Oasis.
    That would be one stupid teacher

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    That would be one stupid teacher
    Fair dos.

Ok, Kula Shaker.

Having worked with the likes of Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan and Michael Bentine, George Martin was hardly a nobody in the music world before he teamed up with the Beatles, but his reputation, such as it was, was in comedy and novelty records pre Beatles. Four months before Love Me Do was released in 1962, Martin was involved in the production of Right Said Fred by Bernard Cribbins - if the Beatles needed George Martin, it’s probably true to say he needed them more.