+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the worst live band you have ever seen ?

Whats the worst live band you have ever seen ?

A lady friend dragged me along to see spandau ballet many years ago , that was bad 👎

But as a rock fan The Micheal Schenker Group at sr davids Hall in 1983 took some beating

Great guitarist in his day but his last studio album was dreadful and got a lathering in the rock press

That night he was so pissed he had to be pushed onto the stage , couldn't string three chords together and walked off after an hour , getting booed

Van Morrison was a superb performer in his time but his pathetic moodiness and tantrums ruined several gigs that I went to and his cardiff performance in 1993 was the end for me , I paid 30 quid to watch him act like a spoilt kid . Miserable fecker belted through the hits and walked off early , no encore

Van the man ?

Van rental more like

Re: Whats the worst live band you have ever seen ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A lady friend dragged me along to see spandau ballet many years ago , that was bad ��

But as a rock fan The Micheal Schenker Group at sr davids Hall in 1983 took some beating

Great guitarist in his day but his last studio album was dreadful and got a lathering in the rock press

That night he was so pissed he had to be pushed onto the stage , couldn't string three chords together and walked off after an hour , getting booed

Van Morrison was a superb performer in his time but his pathetic moodiness and tantrums ruined several gigs that I went to and his cardiff performance in 1993 was the end for me , I paid 30 quid to watch him act like a spoilt kid . Miserable fecker belted through the hits and walked off early , no encore

Van the man ?

Van rental more like
    I agree with you about Van Morrison.
    I saw Pink Floyd when they toured Animals and it put me right off. They played most of Dark Side of the Moon without appearing to notice that they had an audience, said "we're going to take a break now", came back 15 minutes later and played Animals, walked off, came back and played Money as an encore. Every song was played exactly as it was on the record. I could have just sat at home and played the records with the volume turned up.
    When I go to see a band at a gig I expect things to sound different to the highly produced recordings, I expect them to interact with their audience, there was none of that with Floyd, it was sterile.
    It was long time ago, can you tell that I still haven't got over it? And don't start me on Richie Blackmore....

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I agree with you about Van Morrison.
    I saw Pink Floyd when they toured Animals and it put me right off. They played most of Dark Side of the Moon without appearing to notice that they had an audience, said "we're going to take a break now", came back 15 minutes later and played Animals, walked off, came back and played Money as an encore. Every song was played exactly as it was on the record. I could have just sat at home and played the records with the volume turned up.
    When I go to see a band at a gig I expect things to sound different to the highly produced recordings, I expect them to interact with their audience, there was none of that with Floyd, it was sterile.
    It was long time ago, can you tell that I still haven't got over it? And don't start me on Richie Blackmore....
    Never like Floyd

Blackmore was a fantastic guitarist over the years but when I saw him in his final years with rainbow , bent out of shape tour cardiff , he was a miserable twat

Never like Floyd

Blackmore was a fantastic guitarist over the years but when I saw him in his final years with rainbow , bent out of shape tour cardiff , he was a miserable twat
    I said don't start me on Richie Blackmore, as you say, miserable twat, played about half an hour at Wembley Empire Pool, then walked off stage, with a load of flying seats landing on the stage not far behind him.

Chuck Berry. Played 40 minutes and toured with a band he had never previously met.

Demis Roussos. A friend managed to get a pair of free tickets for this ex-member of Tangerine Dream who I had never heard of. Turns out to be a fat bloke making sheep noises.

Groundhogs/Dr Feelgood/Hawkwind. Every track sounded the same by each of those combos.

Probably The Happy Monday’s At the 930 Club in DC or The Stone Roses at the Reading Festival around 96.

I saw the Stone Roses at The Rivermead in Reading about 6 months before that and they were fantastic.

Saw Black Grape too and they were great.

Saxon St Davids Hall , dreadful ,still to this day I don't know why I purchased a ticket and went .

Was the Van Morrison show at St David's? I went to that and was working there at the time. At the end of the set he walked down one of the aisles through the audience (flanked by security) and out the back door. The following day I learnt he carried on to the stage door and into a waiting car with the band still playing and the audience cheering. Didn't even say goodnight, not to the audience nor the stage door guys, who compared him very unfavourably with Des O'Connor and Roger Whittaker. That's my Van anecdote (Vanecdote?) - there are worse, apparently, but they all centre on him being a miserable git. The show was alright though.

To answer your question: Badly Drawn Boy at the university, early 2000s. He was probably high and kept stopping mid song to wander about the stage. Only time I've walked out of a gig, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Probably The Happy Monday’s At the 930 Club in DC or The Stone Roses at the Reading Festival around 96.

I saw the Stone Roses at The Rivermead in Reading about 6 months before that and they were fantastic.

I saw The Fall in Bradford , dreadful

Glastonbury they were fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Saxon St Davids Hall , dreadful ,still to this day I don't know why I purchased a ticket and went .
    Saxon , Crusader Tour , St Davids Hall was like watching spinal tap

But a great metal band on their day

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Was the Van Morrison show at St David's? I went to that and was working there at the time. At the end of the set he walked down one of the aisles through the audience (flanked by security) and out the back door. The following day I learnt he carried on to the stage door and into a waiting car with the band still playing and the audience cheering. Didn't even say goodnight, not to the audience nor the stage door guys, who compared him very unfavourably with Des O'Connor and Roger Whittaker. That's my Van anecdote (Vanecdote?) - there are worse, apparently, but they all centre on him being a miserable git. The show was alright though.

To answer your question: Badly Drawn Boy at the university, early 2000s. He was probably high and kept stopping mid song to wander about the stage. Only time I've walked out of a gig, I think.
    Thats the one

I said to the bloke sitting next to me what a cnut eh ?

He said yep

As we walked out we had a chat and he told me he was a priest

Foul mouthed ****er

I've seen bands I like play badly. Like the Fall and the Gun Club. But one that stands out is UB40 who I'd never heard of, supporting the Pretenders at the Top Rank. They were shit.

I saw Hole in about 2006. Absolute shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've seen bands I like play badly. Like the Fall and the Gun Club. But one that stands out is UB40 who I'd never heard of, supporting the Pretenders at the Top Rank. They were shit.

Talking of the Pretenders, I was looking forward to watching them much more than U2 at that concert at Cardiff Arms Park in 1987 I think it wa. They were one of my favourite bands at the time, but I had to admit they were awful - they obviously didn't give a shit that day and couldn't wait to get off.

The Rolling Stones were dreadful at Ashton Gate in 1982 - in fact, the whole afternoon was.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

I saw UB40 at the NEC when they were famous. They were still shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Chuck Berry. Played 40 minutes and toured with a band he had never previously met.

Demis Roussos. A friend managed to get a pair of free tickets for this ex-member of Tangerine Dream who I had never heard of. Turns out to be a fat bloke making sheep noises.

Groundhogs/Dr Feelgood/Hawkwind. Every track sounded the same by each of those combos.
    I saw Chuck Berry in 1982 on my 21st birthday day. I knew it would be a short set and formulaic, but I really enjoyed it.

I've seen Dr Feel good a few times, great band.
    Hawkind once, that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

I saw Chuck Berry at the Clapham Grand and it was shambolic. He apparently used local back up bands as he was so mean. Great songs though.

Was Demis Roussos really in Tangerine Dream?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Talking of the Pretenders, I was looking forward to watching them much more than U2 at that concert at Cardiff Arms Park in 1987 I think it wa. They were one of my favourite bands at the time, but I had to admit they were awful - they obviously didn't give a shit that day and couldn't wait to get off.

The Rolling Stones were dreadful at Ashton Gate in 1982 - in fact, the whole afternoon was.
    You and I have talked about this gig before on here - lol

I enjoyed the Stones at Ashton Gate in 82. It was my first stadium gig though I think......

Saw the Coral in Cardiff years ago, I think they only had about 10 songs at the time.
    Started off brilliant, but they ran out of things to play about 35 minutes later.
    So during their last song they did an extended instrumental break which literally was them just cocking about on their instruments for more than 20 minutes, it was terrible. The place was absolutely electric before that, and after it was like a morgue. Everyone just shuffled quietly home, there were no calls for an encore, people were just relieved to have finally been released from the final unending song.
    Had I left one track before the end I'd probably have it somewhere on the list of best gigs I'd been to.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

it wasn't really the stone roses, it was Ian Brown and Mani with Aziz Imbrahim and Robbie Maddix, as Reni had left the year before and Squire just recently had his big falling out.

Kraftwerk for me. totally uninspiring live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

Talking of Van Morrison anecdotes.....
    My brother is a huge fan and spotted Van the Man at a nearby table attached to café at an airport in the States. Not wishing to bother the 'great man' but wanting memento, my brother appropriated the remnants of the sandwich that the moody one was masticating on. As soon as my brother could do so, my brother, who was working with plastics at the time, placed the morsel in a vacuum-sealed, transparent plastic box for posterity. Unfortunately, it didn't remain in the condition that he had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I saw Chuck Berry at the Clapham Grand and it was shambolic. He apparently used local back up bands as he was so mean. Great songs though.

Was Demis Roussos really in Tangerine Dream?
    Sorry! I meant Aphrodite's Child. I stand corrected

A lady friend dragged me along to see spandau ballet many years ago , that was bad ��

Van the man ?

Van rental more like
    I've been lucky in that most gigs I've been to have seen, at worst, workmanlike performance, but nothing stinking the place out. Perhaps Kasabian in the CIA around 2005/06, Tom Meighan way too far off his tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    I've been lucky in that most gigs I've been to have seen, at worst, workmanlike performance, but nothing stinking the place out. Perhaps Kasabian in the CIA around 2005/06, Tom Meighan way too far off his tits.
    Think I was lucky with Van Morrison. I knew he could be a moody prick but enjoyed each of the 3 or 4 times I saw him.

Groundhogs mentioned above - loved them live - but I was about 14 at the time!

Worst - Dexys Midnight Runners. Walked off the stage because their crowd was 'too studenty' - (....err at Reading University?...)

Absolute worst - that knob Paul Weller and his Style Council in Zurich. Arrogant and thick to his Swiss audience.

A mention for Echo and the Bunnymen who simply didn't show up for a gig in Basel. (Since forgiven them though )

Saw Eric Clapton about 3-4 years ago in Dubai.
    Came on, played about 10-12 songs, then said goodnight and walked off. Didn’t even introduce the songs.
    Talking to a few people after the gig and they said he was well known for not talking at all during a concert.
    I left feeling robbed. Good guitarist but zero personality

Leo Sayer.
    He was booked at my uni, then had a hit single, tried to get out of the booking , didn't want to be there. On stage for 20 minutes.
    Big-headed kent

Hawkwind.