+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the worst live band you have ever seen ?

Re: Whats the worst live band you have ever seen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I assume all these shows were in the days of reasonable ticket prices. Anyone spent £80 on a ticket only for a shambolic show? Surely that couldn't happen these days... or could it?
    It wasn't long after the days when a week's school dinner money paid for three pints of bitter and 20 No 6

never really gone to see a shite band,,,but been disappointed.

probably howard jones...was supporting defunkt...the stupid barsteward

Meat Loaf in St David’s Hall, can’t remember the year. Also, disappointed with Led Zeppelin at Knebworth where Todd Rundgren stole the show.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I saw Nugent at Hammersmith Odeon about 40 years ago. I can't remember anything about the gig, including who the support act was, but I hope it was Steve Gibbons, who was really good.
    After some googling I think it was more likely his 1979 or 1980 gig at Hammersmith that I saw. It was 1977 that Steve Gibbons supported.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Meat Loaf in St David’s Hall, can’t remember the year. Also, disappointed with Led Zeppelin at Knebworth where Todd Rundgren stole the show.
    I was there...and so were Chas and Dave, I remember enjoying The Marshall Tucker Band as well

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    never really gone to see a shite band,,,but been disappointed.

probably howard jones...was supporting defunkt...the stupid barsteward
    I saw Howard Jones play in Brannigans on Park Place a few years ago. That was odd.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkatron View Post
    Ian Brown was a pissed up moody primadonna in Reading 96, i went to watch squarepusher after about one tune, Stone Roses were always tarnished in my estimation because they inept preformance that night.
    The rest of the Stone Roses seriously talented musicians. Ian Brown is the weak link. He's just incapable of putting on a proper show. I saw them at Madison Square Garden the night before we played Belgium in the Euros and he let the side down badly. There was about 20 minutes of brilliance, but the rest of it was disappointing. John Squier stole the show.

I've heard from a couple of engineers that he has a hard time in the studio too. He basically can't sing.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    He was in Aphrodite's Child who were a highly thought of psychedelic band. Hard to believe isn't it? I bet his songs went on for every and ever........
    That’s what I thought.

(Nice gag btw lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was at the that Schenker gig Sludgey, if it was the one where they were blown off by the support act Wildlife (later to morph into the band FM) with the god-like Simon Kirke on drums. Infact I do believe you have the great man's drumsticks in your vast vault of rock n'roll collectibles? I walked out after during the third or fourth number.

By far the worst band I have ever seen live was The Clash at Cardiff University in November '77. They were truly dreadfully shite. Despite being touted by the UK music weeklies the future of rock'n' roll they were an abomination. None of them could sing or barely play their instruments and were totally out of tune. Awful, just plain awful. Plus they ruined, absolutely ruined the soulful roots reggae classic, Junior Murvins 'Police & Thieves'. They steamrolled over that magnificent song and flattened it, just like the poor splattered fox I saw dead on the road earlier
    Blimey. They must have had a very off night as I saw them 4 times and every time that were absolutely fantastic :-(

Radiohead at the CIA 97/98 ish....tickets were like gold dust but it was like a whinge festival of droning on and on, couldn’t wait to leave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was at the that Schenker gig Sludgey, if it was the one where they were blown off by the support act Wildlife (later to morph into the band FM) with the god-like Simon Kirke on drums. Infact I do believe you have the great man's drumsticks in your vast vault of rock n'roll collectibles? I walked out after during the third or fourth number.

By far the worst band I have ever seen live was The Clash at Cardiff University in November '77. They were truly dreadfully shite. Despite being touted by the UK music weeklies the future of rock'n' roll they were an abomination. None of them could sing or barely play their instruments and were totally out of tune. Awful, just plain awful. Plus they ruined, absolutely ruined the soulful roots reggae classic, Junior Murvins 'Police & Thieves'. They steamrolled over that magnificent song and flattened it, just like the poor splattered fox I saw dead on the road earlier
    Yes I have his drumstick

No you can't have it

Free great, Wildlife good , FM bloody dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Radiohead at the CIA 97/98 ish....tickets were like gold dust but it was like a whinge festival of droning on and on, couldn’t wait to leave
    Would that have been the tour for Ok Computer? Good album but I can't see it being a particularly great live experience

The Pretenders

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Would that have been the tour for Ok Computer? Good album but I can't see it being a particularly great live experience
    Yeah that right. Still remember some bloke offering me stupid cash for my ticket outside......

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The Pretenders
    I saw them at St David's Hall fairly recently, maybe two years ago. I enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A lady friend dragged me along to see spandau ballet many years ago , that was bad ��

But as a rock fan The Micheal Schenker Group at sr davids Hall in 1983 took some beating

Great guitarist in his day but his last studio album was dreadful and got a lathering in the rock press

That night he was so pissed he had to be pushed onto the stage , couldn't string three chords together and walked off after an hour , getting booed

Van Morrison was a superb performer in his time but his pathetic moodiness and tantrums ruined several gigs that I went to and his cardiff performance in 1993 was the end for me , I paid 30 quid to watch him act like a spoilt kid . Miserable fecker belted through the hits and walked off early , no encore

Van the man ?

Van rental more like
    There's a difference between a seeing a poor performance and seeing a band you dont like, were Spandau Ballet terrible that night or just terrible for you as you didnt like them? I'll never 'get' one eyed music fans that say bands or their music is crap just because they dont like them and maybe it's no 'good for the image'.

There is of course then bands that do pass their sell by date, the biggest one of those in my opinion are U2, that peaked with War, The Unforgettable Fire and The JT was good, but after that....not for me.

You can still be 'Rock 'n Roll' (What ever that is) and like less fashionable music, I mean look at David Grohl who is a huge fan of Abba.
    Last edited by Peajay; 24-12-20 at 11:36. Reason: Fornicating badgers

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I saw them at St David's Hall fairly recently, maybe two years ago. I enjoyed them.
    It must have been early 1980, in Bristol. Brass in Pocket was #1, I think the tour had been put together at short notice, they only had maybe 7 or 8 songs, everything was wrong about the gig. UB40 were the support act, also on their first tour and totally blew them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It must have been early 1980, in Bristol. Brass in Pocket was #1, I think the tour had been put together at short notice, they only had maybe 7 or 8 songs, everything was wrong about the gig. UB40 were the support act, also on their first tour and totally blew them away.
    I should imagine the tour had been booked as normal. As I remember, Brass in Pocket got to number one that day causing a massive queue outside and the Top Rank show to be unexpectedly sold out.

I thought it was a good show. Although, I remember being somewhat taken aback that she expected "bikers" or "rockers" to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    There's a difference between a seeing a poor performance and seeing a band you dont like, were Spandau Ballet terrible that night or just terrible for you as you didnt like them? I'll never 'get' one eyed music fans that say bands or their music is crap just because they dont like them and maybe it's no 'good for the image'.

There is of course then bands that do pass their sell by date, the biggest one of those in my opinion are U2, that peaked with War, The Unforgettable Fire and The JT was good, but after that....not for me.

You can still be 'Rock 'n Roll' (What ever that is) and like less fashionable music, I mean look at David Grohl who is a huge fan of Abba.
    Spandau Ballet were terrible and I didn't like them

I don't like Rancid but they were not crap live

There are 2 I can't separate.
    Primal Scream at the Town and Country Club in 1987. It was between their jingle jangle indie and making it big with Screamadelica. They came on looking like 4th division bikers head to toe in leather and played a 45 min cock rock set to virtual stunned silence from a packed crowd.
    The other was just last year and it was Pete Doherty in Sin City in Swansea. I don't know where to start really. It was so shambolic and boring. He played none of the notable Libertines or Babyshambles songs. He rambled on and on and on dragging out songs to the point where people were laughing. Place was full when he came on, at least two thirds had left when he exited the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Stereophonics at the Motorpoint (not the super spreader event they put on this year) were pretty poor. Late turning up on stage, very little personality, dreary and uninspiring
    Just jolted my memory (or triggered my PTSD)... saw the Phonics at the 'Day at the Races' gig that was moved from Chepstow Races to the Millenium Stadium. As I recall the gig started off brilliantly, The Crocketts, Ash and Black Crowes (the latter completely lost on the Valley Commandos) were all really good but the main event were shocking. Never has a band lived off former glories as they do with Word Gets Around, which was a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Thornton View Post
    Just jolted my memory (or triggered my PTSD)... saw the Phonics at the 'Day at the Races' gig that was moved from Chepstow Races to the Millenium Stadium. As I recall the gig started off brilliantly, The Crocketts, Ash and Black Crowes (the latter completely lost on the Valley Commandos) were all really good but the main event were shocking. Never has a band lived off former glories as they do with Word Gets Around, which was a great album.
    Black Crowes ......whoosh right over the head of your average stereophonics fan