+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who was the best “live support band” you’ve ever seen. ?

Who was the best “live support band” you’ve ever seen. ?

Mine was unquestionably Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers. Once again it was in the Capitol in the 70’s. I’ve seen over 150 live concerts and nothing has ever come within touching distance of how that rising band played that night for 45 minutes. You just knew they were going to be huge, getting the audience out of their seats . They were superb. I went out the next day and bought their album ,which I still possess. Nils Lofgren was the main act- he never stood a chance after the support band walked off the stage. He tried hard, but even he couldn’t compete with what happened prior to him getting to perform. Needless to say, I became a big fan of Tom Petty , and was not surprised at how he rose to the top as a well respected musician in every sense.

Re: Who was the best “live support band” you’ve ever seen. ?

Has to be Johnny Kidd and the Pirates (Mick Green et al version)
    They supported Jerry Lee Lewis (say no more!)
    Kidd was brilliant - dominated the stage. And his routine during the instro break of Shakin' All Over was mesmerising.
    He returned to another venue a month or so later - as the headliner. Another t'riffic show.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Has to be Johnny Kidd and the Pirates (Mick Green et al version)
    They supported Jerry Lee Lewis (say no more!)
    Kidd was brilliant - dominated the stage. And his routine during the instro break of Shakin' All Over was mesmerising.
    He returned to another venue a month or so later - as the headliner. Another t'riffic show.
    I saw them headlining in about 1977. Johnny Kidd was long dead but Mick Green etc were still there. They were a three piece then, bass, guitar and drums. For a long time after I would tell anyone who would listen that you only need three people in a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Mine was unquestionably Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers. Once again it was in the Capitol in the 70’s. I’ve seen over 150 live concerts and nothing has ever come within touching distance of how that rising band played that night for 45 minutes. You just knew they were going to be huge, getting the audience out of their seats . They were superb. I went out the next day and bought their album ,which I still possess. Nils Lofgren was the main act- he never stood a chance after the support band walked off the stage. He tried hard, but even he couldn’t compete with what happened prior to him getting to perform. Needless to say, I became a big fan of Tom Petty , and was not surprised at how he rose to the top as a well respected musician in every sense.
    I saw them both one year and Knebworth, neither was top of the bill, but TP was excellent.

A local band Ofelia https://www.facebook.com/ofeliaband/ and a band called Mawkin from London are two bands that I have never heard off but supporting other bands in Cardiff and went out and bought their albums after.

I also saw Eddie and the Hot Rods supporting Stiff Little Fingers a year to two ago, both bands were execellent.

Clutch supporting Motorhead

Tool supporting Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Clutch supporting Motorhead

Tool supporting Sabbath
    In fairness, you've spent years telling us how much you clutch your tool, so no surprises here!

For acts: DVSN or JID (tho DVSN is a duo)

This is a DVSN song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDVufnezUAs

For band: Pale Waves

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I saw them headlining in about 1977. Johnny Kidd was long dead but Mick Green etc were still there. They were a three piece then, bass, guitar and drums. For a long time after I would tell anyone who would listen that you only need three people in a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    A local band Ofelia https://www.facebook.com/ofeliaband/ and a band called Mawkin from London are two bands that I have never heard off but supporting other bands in Cardiff and went out and bought their albums after.

I also saw Eddie and the Hot Rods supporting Stiff Little Fingers a year to two ago, both bands were execellent.
    I saw a triple bill of Eddie and the Hot Rods, the Damned and another at Canterbury Uni in 1977. We were all 6th formers in Folkestone at the time. To this day I can't remember who the third band were, and none of the old farts I went with can remember either. Silly old sods. Bugs me to this day..

Thin Lizzy supporting Suzi Quatro and Slade Top Rank

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thin Lizzy supporting Suzi Quatro and Slade Top Rank
    Lizzy , class band

UB40 supporting the Pretenders

Budgie,supporting someone at Sophia Gardens.Really can’t remember who the headliner was.

The Who at their peak. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Budgie,supporting someone at Sophia Gardens.Really can’t remember who the headliner was.
    First gig I saw was Budgie at Barry Memorial Hall. Supported by the then-unknown Judas Priest. Entrance 50p.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    UB40 supporting the Pretenders
    I had this as (one of) my worst. We all see things differently.

Judas Priest was one of the few bands I saw at Sophia Gardens so maybe it was them.Vice Versa coincidence.

Stereophonics supporting the Manics I think. Or Catatonia.

I went to see Michael Jackson at the Arms Park and Kim Wilde was the support act. Nobody was interested in her except the two guys in front of me, who as soon as she came on stage leapt up and shouted "Oooo Cooooeee Kim!!!". I moved. She was awful too.

I also got sat next to a nutter at an Aussie Pink Floyd gig two years ago. I had a front row seat and I spotted him before I got to the seat and though, I hope I'm not sat next to him. I was. he said , in a weird way "Are you a Pink Floyd fan" in a shouty voice so my fears were confirmed. Luckily the music was loud as he sat there talking to himself all night.

I went to the Cardiff Castle gig in 1975 and the line up was Man, Thin Lizzy, Steeleye Span and 10cc, so that was all very good.

Super Furry Animals supported the Manics too at CIA in 1996, they were excellent.

Happy Mondays supporting James at Manchester Ritz. Blew them away. Great venue the Ritz.

Feedback

Milltown brothers supporting the Charlatans in Newport around 1992

The Adventures, supporting Fleetwood Mac. Great band I went on to buy everything they did.

Fanny - the American all female rock group. Supporting Jethro Tull, early 70's at the Round House in North London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb1HpH42N8

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Fanny - the American all female rock group. Supporting Jethro Tull, early 70's at the Round House in North London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcb1HpH42N8
    Loved the way they shunted their pianist behind the piano for the full-on shots
    She was a trifle spotty, mind!