+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City Christmas no 1 connection

Cardiff City Christmas no 1 connection

Does anyone know if it is true that Phil Suarez was the drummer on the 1970 Christmas no 1 'I Hear You Knocking' by Dave Edmunds? He certainly played with the band.

Re: Cardiff City Christmas no 1 connection

No, Edmunds played the drums himself. At the time, he was working as a producer, engineer and session man at Rockfield Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No, Edmunds played the drums himself. At the time, he was working as a producer, engineer and session man at Rockfield Studios.

There goes that tale! Someone told me years ago that Suarez was involved, but never managed to find a shred of proof. Thanks for your info.

From the liner notes of Edmunds' excellent 1994 best of compilation 'Chronicles': "He eventually re-emerged with a powerful remake/remodel of Smileys Lewis's classic I Hear You Knocking. The ultimate do-it-yourself job, Edmunds recorded and overdubbed everything himself - vocals, guitars, drums, the whole shebang."

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    From the liner notes of Edmunds' excellent 1994 best of compilation 'Chronicles': "He eventually re-emerged with a powerful remake/remodel of Smileys Lewis's classic I Hear You Knocking. The ultimate do-it-yourself job, Edmunds recorded and overdubbed everything himself - vocals, guitars, drums, the whole shebang."
    Cheers. Liner notes are often invaluable sources of information that never gets recorded anywhere.

On a similar subject I was told the video of Only you by the flying pickets was filmed in the back bar of the Napier in Canton
    Anyone know if this was true?

Dave Edmunds was a class act, lucky to have caught Rockpile live a few times , hellva of a line up and band

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    On a similar subject I was told the video of Only you by the flying pickets was filmed in the back bar of the Napier in Canton
    Not sure I know the lead singer Brian Hibbard was an Ebbw Vale boy .

I was going to say definitely not, but, having just looked at the video again,

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDqgDKtLPp46s

I think it might be - looks a bit too small for the Napier though.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Not sure I know the lead singer Brian Hibbard was an Ebbw Vale boy .
    Didnt he live in Splott at the time and then went on to be Deirdre's love interest in Corrie?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Didnt he live in Splott at the time and then went on to be Deirdre's love interest in Corrie?
    Yep, he had a decent acting career.
    Died of the dreaded prostate cancer a few years back.

I know his Rockpile touring band was Edmunds, Billy Bremner (not that one!) on guitar, Nick Lowe on bass and Terry Williams (ex Man) on drums. I also heard that he was the brother of Geoff Edmunds the Cardiff estate agent?

I thought it was the Gower pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    I read it was a pub up north, the red duster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Florence St, he used to get in The Moorlands now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    According to their official website it was filmed in the Red Lion and Pineapple in Acton High St

https://www.pickets.co.uk/videos

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    According to their official website it was filmed in the Red Lion and Pineapple in Acton High St

https://www.pickets.co.uk/videos