+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK, the gloves are off .......over rated bands

Re: OK, the gloves are off .......over rated bands

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Didn't though did I.

The point was their record sales are hardly impressive. Tupac I admit has sold more since he died however the factor is that kids jumped onto the bandwagon as it being popular. His sales beforehand suggested he was nothing special. Winehouse has sold little probably less than 15 million albums which is next to nothing.

People become more adored and talented when they aren't around.

You can have your opinion on what's good or bad but numbers tell you who are the most successful.
    Back to Black was one of the best selling albums of the decade.
    She won 5 Grammys for it when she was still alive ffs.

To suggest she only become succesful because she died young is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Back to Black was one of the best selling albums of the decade.
    She won 5 Grammys for it when she was still alive ffs.

To suggest she only become succesful because she died young is nonsense.

Bob Dylan

Good writer, shit voice

Quote Originally Posted by Fancydan View Post
    The clash ‘London’s burning?’ .....I haven’t heard that cover yet!! Call the engine, call the engine. Fire, fire!!��
    its a single on" The Clash"

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    its a single on" The Clash"
    Merry Christmas Dibble, hope its a good one for you and the management

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Merry Christmas Dibble, hope its a good one for you and the management
    And you mate

I'm going to wade into this thread and proclaim myself as a musical illiterate. I'm always fascinated by music threads and the replies, how people carry music into their lives, what it means to them etc. I enjoy music but i don't have a passion for it or sixth sense as some people seem to have. I don't notice what some others do, certain sounds just don't resonate with me, that's why i'm always intrigued and fascinated to read other peoples feelings and the emotions that certain artists, sounds etc can garner.

The other aspect, a bit like most things i suppose, is can any of you listen to your favourite artists at any given moment? Isn't music an emotional entity? Someone maybe a massive fan of Bowie, but even his biggest fan has to be in the correct mood or frame of mind to listen to him-surely? Maybe i'm over complicating it a bit to much

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Bob Dylan

Good writer, shit voice
    I'm not a fan. I can see how important and influential he is. Some of his stuff from the early/mid 60s is good. But for me, his stuff from the 70s onwards is horrible. That song Tangled Up in Blue grates on my verses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm going to wade into this thread and proclaim myself as a musical illiterate. I'm always fascinated by music threads and the replies, how people carry music into their lives, what it means to them etc. I enjoy music but i don't have a passion for it or sixth sense as some people seem to have. I don't notice what some others do, certain sounds just don't resonate with me, that's why i'm always intrigued and fascinated to read other peoples feelings and the emotions that certain artists, sounds etc can garner.

The other aspect, a bit like most things i suppose, is can any of you listen to your favourite artists at any given moment? Isn't music an emotional entity? Someone maybe a massive fan of Bowie, but even his biggest fan has to be in the correct mood or frame of mind to listen to him-surely? Maybe i'm over complicating it a bit to much
    I think I could listen to Bowie at any time. Obviously, I don't. But if my wife said "let's put a Bowie album on", I can't imagine ever saying no.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think I could listen to Bowie at any time. Obviously, I don't. But if my wife said "let's put a Bowie album on", I can't imagine ever saying no.
    Even listening to sabbath day in day out can become a bit much

I try and have Thursdays off

Or every other Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Even listening to sabbath day in day out can become a bit much

I try and have Thursdays off

Or every other Thursday
    I will occasionally listen to the first six Sabbath albums consecutively. Great way to spend an afternoon.

I think the Talking Heads are overrated. I think Prince is is overrated. It doesn't mean I don't like them or that I don't they're talented or influential. For me, they just get a bit too much love. Discuss.
    First 4 Talking Heads albums are classics. Then they just got a bit too commercial. I consider them under rated if anything.

As for Prince, probably the single most talented musician of the last 40 years. It’s impossible to over rate him.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    simple minds

i could stomach the once upon a time album but thats it
    Why do I get the feeling you’ve never heard Empires and Dance, sons & Fascination, Sister Feelings Call or New Gold Dream?

Metallica.

guns and roses

R E M

Squeeze

DIRE straights

Loads of Nu metalbands like korn limp bisquit etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Metallica.

guns and roses

R E M

Squeeze

DIRE straights

Loads of Nu metalbands like korn limp bisquit etc etc
    I don't think Limp Bizkit are overrated. They were successful. But I think they're widely considered to be shit.

I will occasionally listen to the first six Sabbath albums consecutively. Great way to spend an afternoon.
    groundbreaking music

They were finished after that

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    First 4 Talking Heads albums are classics. Then they just got a bit too commercial. I consider them under rated if anything.

As for Prince, probably the single most talented musician of the last 40 years. It’s impossible to over rate him.
    Being a talented musician doesn't count for much if the majority of your ideas are boring.

groundbreaking music

They were finished after that
    Definitely. Some people don't rate Sabotage. But I love it. I bought their last album, listened to it once and it's OK. Apart from that, I don't think I've listened to anything from Technical Ecstasy onwards in the last 40 years.

Definitely. Some people don't rate Sabotage. But I love it. I bought their last album, listened to it once and it's OK. Apart from that, I don't think I've listened to anything from Technical Ecstasy onwards in the last 40 years.
    First six great

The Mob Rules with Dio on vocals has its moments as does Heaven And Hell but like all bands they had their time then fell apart

Ozzys solo stuff with randy Rhodes was good

But the last studio album was nothing new

I saw the original line up in 1998 reunion tour when ozzy and Bill ward made up , Milton Keynes bowl on a summer night , amazing gig , ward was off the drink , ozzy was off the coke

They played for 3 hours , really tight but even then it was thanks lads , time to knock it on the head

Thats 22 years ago ff sake

First six great

The Mob Rules with Dio on vocals has its moments as does Heaven And Hell but like all bands they had their time then fell apart

Ozzys solo stuff with randy Rhodes was good

But the last studio album was nothing new

I saw the original line up in 1998 reunion tour when ozzy and Bill ward made up , Milton Keynes bowl on a summer night , amazing gig , ward was off the drink , ozzy was off the coke

They played for 3 hours , really tight but even then it was thanks lads , time to knock it on the head

Thats 22 years ago ff sake
    Did you see Ozzy at Sophia Gardens? I wish I'd gone to that. I don't know why I didn't. Maybe because I was going to Motorhead and The Jam around the same time. I probably thought it wasn't worth even asking if I could go out.

Being a talented musician doesn't count for much if the majority of your ideas are boring.
    A brilliant musician that imo couldn't write a song that was catchy without being exciting/original

Wink Re: OK, the gloves are off .......over rated bands

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My opinion of the Arctic Monkeys is much like yours it seems, but you appear to me to be saying that I cannot feel exactly the same way about Queen who were a much hyped band when they first appeared in the mid seventies and stayed that way for most of their existence while Freddie Mercury was still alive.

No, not all. I was merely trying to point out disliking a band is different to saying they are overrated and for me Queen fall into that category.

If you feel Queen are over rated I'm not arguing the point; but would argue the point if your only justifcation was you dont like them.

Does that make sense? I know what I mean anyway

Did you see Ozzy at Sophia Gardens? I wish I'd gone to that. I don't know why I didn't. Maybe because I was going to Motorhead and The Jam around the same time. I probably thought it wasn't worth even asking if I could go out.
    no I saw him in Birmingham