+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Von-Layen Tamer

Re: The Von-Layen Tamer

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    You been up the valley's in the last 30 years?
    So how is Brexit and a right wing government going to improve the valleys?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    We will probably be a bit worse off initially, but with new trade agreements we can now have with other nations as an independent country there is no reason why over a few years we can't cancel that out and go further.

So what can an independent UK offer for better trade deals, than we had under the EU, than the EU offer?

You been up the valley's in the last 30 years?
    You're an Abercanaid boy, do you think the Tories looked after the area before going the EU?

Genuine question.

We will probably be a bit worse off initially, but with new trade agreements we can now have with other nations as an independent country there is no reason why over a few years we can't cancel that out and go further.
    Who is the 'we' in that statement?

'We' as in 'friends of Boris Johnson', and 'we' as in advocates of low wage - low regulation - tax avoiding businesses, and 'we' as in fantasists who welcome marginalisation and WTO tariff regimes, and 'we' as in Little Englanders?

I'm sure some people will make a mint out of post-Brexit trade deals, but on balance I doubt Joe and Jane Public will be amongst them.

And 'independent country'? In the world of 21st century globalism, institutional and treaty interdependence and big tech, even the idea of sovereign nation independence is a fairy tale.

Hopefully this is close to the least bad trade deal that the UK government could achieve - but from all the reports that sounds very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You're an Abercanaid boy, do you think the Tories looked after the area before going the EU?

Genuine question.
    No they certainly haven’t helped but now is a good time for Drakeford and co to renegotiate the Barnet formula.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Who is the 'we' in that statement?

'We' as in 'friends of Boris Johnson', and 'we' as in advocates of low wage - low regulation - tax avoiding businesses, and 'we' as in fantasists who welcome marginalisation and WTO tariff regimes, and 'we' as in Little Englanders?

I'm sure some people will make a mint out of post-Brexit trade deals, but on balance I doubt Joe and Jane Public will be amongst them.

And 'independent country'? In the world of 21st century globalism, institutional and treaty interdependence and big tech, even the idea of sovereign nation independence is a fairy tale.

Hopefully this is close to the least bad trade deal that the UK government could achieve - but from all the reports that sounds very unlikely.
    but all the reports are from people who haven't seen it, just as you or I haven't. The 'we' I referred to was the people of the UK generally, ?i wasn't being party political which you clearly are. Whatever the deal you will slag it off either because you voted remain or because it was negotiated by the conservative government, or given your normal-line statements probably both.
    Leaving the EU was voted for by the people. Live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Taking control and over riding Drakeford and co with a M4 relief road for starters and trying to encourage some investment into Wales.

International

Well a left wing government hasn't done that much for them in the last 20 odd years work-wise.

Well a left wing government hasn't done that much for them in the last 20 odd years work-wise.
    That's not an answer, though.

Taking control and over riding Drakeford and co with a M4 relief road for starters and trying to encourage some investment into Wales.
    How much investment has Westminster encouraged into Wales?

Genuine question.
    Has either main party looked after the valley's?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I would say no, but I know which party would be worse for them, which is a sad indictment of Welsh politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Very decent question.

One looks at the valleys with disdain, the other with a god given right.

Actually, thinking about it both if the major parties are guilty of both.

No they certainly haven’t helped but now is a good time for Drakeford and co to renegotiate the Barnet formula.
    Do you think hes capable?

Do you think that would actually be on the table?

We'll get ****ed. All that EU money which paid for infrastructure improvements wont be landing in Wales if entirely up to any UK Tory government.

Not sure we'd do any better under Starmer if I'm honest.

That's not an answer, though.
    No that's a fact more than an answer Eric

some people on here make me smile.
    so many complaining that he wanted a 'no deal' situation and now he has a deal they're still not satisfied, slagging it off before anyone even knows the details.
    Mind even Kier Stammer did, calling it a thin deal an hour after it was announced when no one had even read it. All these people so clever perhaps they should have been the negotiators.
    But despite someone on here saying it took 41/2 years to get a bad deal, as stated he can't know that because he doesn't know what the deal is and it didn't take 4 1/2 years it took 11 months. It's the biggest free trade deal ever negotiated (c£660 Billion). The deal with Canada took 5 years of constant negotiations and that's about average.

But I think what it really is is the people who think we shouldn't have left in the first place and cannot accept that they lost. It might be a bad deal but at least lets know the details before you slag it off, which you will anyway because Boris did it.
    The details that matter are known, though. That you think anything of significance was going to come out of the negotiations this week belies your failure to grasp what was at stake here. No passporting; no protection of the service industry; and a nightmare for anyone who moves stuff across the border. And that was always going to be the case under this type of exit. Everything else - Erasmus; fishing rights etc - just gets lost in the rounding. At a national level, it does not matter. We've gifted financial services to the EU and got nothing back. Tariff free is all well and good but the ones who will be smiling most live in Southern Germany.

"Maybe they should have been the negotiators". You cannot negotiate anything from that position: you vote for a losing outcome and then fight as hard as you can to mitigate the disaster. That is it. They are not saying that they could do a better job: they are saying that the job was a hospital pass from the off.

It was always, always going to be a car crash. European leaders have every political motivation to force Brexit to be a failure, and that is what they have done and what they were always going to do. Macron was up against Le Pen in 2017 and will be again in 2022. He will want to ridicule the notion of leaving the EU: he cannot afford for Brexit to be anything other than an abject failure. He needs the UK to be worse off for his own political needs (and to minimise the chances of his own country following suit, in line with his own beliefs). Most of them won't want to see their own countries going through this sort of turmoil and the best way to achieve that is to make an example of the UK and punish it for leaving. It's that simple, it always has been. The same is obviously true of the EU institutions.

It shouldn't be that way, and if everyone was trying to work out what the best answer for both economies then we wouldn't end up here, but it was never going to be driven by that - it was always going to be far more political.

Do you think hes capable?

Do you think that would actually be on the table?

We'll get ****ed. All that EU money which paid for infrastructure improvements wont be landing in Wales if entirely up to any UK Tory government.

Not sure we'd do any better under Starmer if I'm honest.
    Im pretty sure wed be a lot better off under Starmer than the incompetent bufoon some on here voted in.😂

hilts agree a buffoon the worse PM in my lifetime but didn't its own party vote him in after Mays attempt failed in the brexit talks ?

don't think the public had a say

Thats the focus, positiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    The details that matter are known, though. That you think anything of significance was going to come out of the negotiations this week belies your failure to grasp what was at stake here. No passporting; no protection of the service industry; and a nightmare for anyone who moves stuff across the border. And that was always going to be the case under this type of exit. Everything else - Erasmus; fishing rights etc - just gets lost in the rounding. At a national level, it does not matter. We've gifted financial services to the EU and got nothing back. Tariff free is all well and good but the ones who will be smiling most live in Southern Germany.

"Maybe they should have been the negotiators". You cannot negotiate anything from that position: you vote for a losing outcome and then fight as hard as you can to mitigate the disaster. That is it. They are not saying that they could do a better job: they are saying that the job was a hospital pass from the off.

It was always, always going to be a car crash. European leaders have every political motivation to force Brexit to be a failure, and that is what they have done and what they were always going to do. Macron was up against Le Pen in 2017 and will be again in 2022. He will want to ridicule the notion of leaving the EU: he cannot afford for Brexit to be anything other than an abject failure. He needs the UK to be worse off for his own political needs (and to minimise the chances of his own country following suit, in line with his own beliefs). Most of them won't want to see their own countries going through this sort of turmoil and the best way to achieve that is to make an example of the UK and punish it for leaving. It's that simple, it always has been. The same is obviously true of the EU institutions.

It shouldn't be that way, and if everyone was trying to work out what the best answer for both economies then we wouldn't end up here, but it was never going to be driven by that - it was always going to be far more political.
    And there you have it. As I'm now living in Poland and in the course of moving 450 jobs out of the UK (plus roughly the same supply chain jobs). I'm seeing the consequences first hand. Our EU contracts state must be made within the EU, our UK contracts have no reciprocal clause. Southern Germany wins again and our suppliers across England & Wales just lost jobs a s a result.

so many complaining that he wanted a 'no deal' situation and now he has a deal they're still not satisfied, slagging it off before anyone even knows the details.
    Mind even Kier Stammer did, calling it a thin deal an hour after it was announced when no one had even read it. All these people so clever perhaps they should have been the negotiators.
    But despite someone on here saying it took 41/2 years to get a bad deal, as stated he can't know that because he doesn't know what the deal is and it didn't take 4 1/2 years it took 11 months. It's the biggest free trade deal ever negotiated (c£660 Billion). The deal with Canada took 5 years of constant negotiations and that's about average.

But I think what it really is is the people who think we shouldn't have left in the first place and cannot accept that they lost. It might be a bad deal but at least lets know the details before you slag it off, which you will anyway because Boris did it.
    You're as guilty as those who make you smile though really aren't you, because you're looking at the situation as someone who consistently takes a certain political line and is sticking to it when it comes to the situation regarding Brexit - you make all sorts of judgements on those who feel differently to you, rightly pointing out that they are jumping to conclusions regarding a document that few will have read, but then you're doing the same from the other side aren't you.

All I'll see on the matter in this thread is that the name given to it is typical of a way of thinking which runs central to many leave voters views on Europe - Brexit is the war with Johnny Foreigner that they haven't lived through.

Free trade deal signed seemingly without having to give up everything. There's always compromise and I'm sure both sides climbed down on things at the last minute. Don't think we really needed 4 years mind, as with most deadlines, things magically get sorted at the last minute.

Think in the long run we will do fine.

Least there isn't going to be people starving outside Tesco as they couldn't get some French cheese anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im pretty sure wed be a lot better off under Starmer than the incompetent bufoon some on here voted in.��
    At the time the "buffoon" was the least worst option. Under a different Labour leader the election result may well have been different. But we are where we are so the public will have to get used to it.

Good post That is exactly the point. I'm going to find out about the deal before I rush to judgement.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

As long as separate nations are separate nations it will always be that way. You personally may wish that there weren't nations but there are and we have to live with it. That is what this is all about 'living with it'.
    I disagree that it's a car crash for us any more than it is for the Eu, and I hope and believe that we will benefit in the long run although it is generally accepted that initially our economy will take a hit. That has always been known.
    I don't fail to grasp anything and it is very presumptuous of you to think that I do and that you are more intelligent than I. you merely have a different perception of things. Macron is an arse, and nothing will help him. He hasn't got what he demanded for his fishermen and they know it, and if he veto's the agreement so many others will suffer that he will be destroyed. But we mainly got what the government promised, though we were never going to get everything, that is the nature of negotiations.
    As I said some people were determined even hopeful that it would be a 'car crash' as you put it, just so they could shout about how we should not have left, but I don't think they can do that with any degree of honesty, not that that will stop them doing it.
    We have left and boris johnson won an election on the promise to get it over and done with. He had delivered that promise, where others, the EU included were always wanting to extend the transition for years in the hope that people would weary of it and not leave. Ask yourself why the EU didn't want the UK to leave.