+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: An R.I.P For Cricket Oldies

An R.I.P For Cricket Oldies

John Edrich, natural causes, aged 83, excellent opening batsman, great memories of his 310 against New Zealand in the 60s. Seems relevant to state natural causes in these times.

Re: An R.I.P For Cricket Oldies

Great cricketer. Always could be relied on to give Surrey or England a solid start whenever he played. Not many left handed openers as good as he was.

Always liked John Edrich. A gutsy left hander who valued his wicket. Rip John.

One of the few who scored 100 first class centuries. I remember his triple against New Zealand and also recall him being horrifically felled after being hit on the head by a bouncer from Peter Pollock of South Africa from which retired hurt. No helmets in those days. I think he suffered from that for some time after. A great player RIP John.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    One of the few who scored 100 first class centuries. I remember his triple against New Zealand and also recall him being horrifically felled after being hit on the head by a bouncer from Peter Pollock of South Africa from which retired hurt. No helmets in those days. I think he suffered from that for some time after. A great player RIP John.
    Its hard to believe that nobody wore helmets until relatively recently, especially batting in places like the West Indies.

Solid opener Edrich.
    RIP.

Edrich and Brian Close were peppered by the West Indian fast bowlers on a dodgy Old Trafford wicket in 1976, they were the England openers in that test and their combined age was 84! I always remember John Edrich as a solid, defensive opening bat, but, apparently, he had one season the 60s when he would jump down the wicket and hot not just spinners back over their heads for six. It seemed like Boycott and Edrich were England’s openers for ages, but Sir Geoffrey took his leave voluntarily of test cricket during the mid seventies because innocuous Indian medium pacers kept on getting him out, so missed out on Lillee and Thompson in their pomp and the West Indies quicks in 1976 - Edrich on the other hand was there all of the time.

RIP

Yet another one gone in this exceptionally sad year.

I remember him fondly in the side that included (if I'm not mistaken) players like Ken Barrington, Colin Cowdrey, Derek Underwood, Alan Knott etc. A very dependable and steady player. R.I.P.

I’m guessing you already know, but when both Boycott and Edrich reached their hundredth hundred Graham Roope was their partner at the non strikers end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I’m guessing you already know, but when both Boycott and Edrich reached their hundredth hundred Graham Roope was their partner at the non strikers end.
    Yes, I did know that and believed it to be true for some time. However, someone checked the records and it turns out that Geoff Howarth was at the other end when John Edrich scored this 100th century whilst playing for Surrey. Apparently there had been a change of batting order.

A Surrey team mate of John Edrich's has passed away as well;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55447494

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A Surrey team mate of John Edrich's has passed away as well;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55447494
    It’s scary how old we are all getting. It doesn’t seem to me that long ago that Jackman was involved in all the furore about him playing for England in the Caribbean. I suppose that was 40 years ago though as he was no spring chicken then. RIP Jackers.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Edrich and Brian Close were peppered by the West Indian fast bowlers on a dodgy Old Trafford wicket in 1976, they were the England openers in that test and their combined age was 84! I always remember John Edrich as a solid, defensive opening bat, but, apparently, he had one season the 60s when he would jump down the wicket and hot not just spinners back over their heads for six. It seemed like Boycott and Edrich were England’s openers for ages, but Sir Geoffrey took his leave voluntarily of test cricket during the mid seventies because innocuous Indian medium pacers kept on getting him out, so missed out on Lillee and Thompson in their pomp and the West Indies quicks in 1976 - Edrich on the other hand was there all of the time.

RIP
    It was the Sunday People that used to have a competition for the most sixes hit in the season. I think Edrich won by a mile in 1964 but after being felled by Pollock the following season his batting perhaps not surprisingly became more cautious.

RIP John

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    It’s scary how old we are all getting. It doesn’t seem to me that long ago that Jackman was involved in all the furore about him playing for England in the Caribbean. I suppose that was 40 years ago though as he was no spring chicken then. RIP Jackers.
    I find it seems to bring it home even more when a well known sportsman passes.
    Where the hell did that forty years go?
    RIP.