+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 BRENTFORD. Match thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 BRENTFORD. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Or as any normal person would see it, two comeback wins. We didn't come from behind to win in the three 1 goal wins under Warnock. Most? I see you're discounting the 3-0s and the 4-0 win.

Yes, the Warnock money wasted argument does hold up as we still have to pay his f*ck ups. Swansea have managed to play this way without spending huge sums because they already played that way and had the players capable, have had a proper plan in place for years and have a reputation for it. Same goes for Brentford. If we were to do it we'd either have to spend big or go through years of slowly changing the side, something I doubt you'd be very happy with as it would see seasons like this one
    Absolutely spot on.

They are deluded. They think we can just flick a switch and change style, still challenge and bring through youngsters whilst others around us either spend millions or they have a long term plan. It’s going to be a slow process and they don’t have the patience.

Is Harris the man to bring sexy football? Probably not but is he a man who can work with this squad of players and keep us competitive whilst slowly changing the squad and style. I think so. He’s brought down the age of the squad at least.

It might take another year or two of consolidation and start signing younger players with resale value to eventually move forward as a football club. For a start we need to stop signing your 28-30 year olds on 3/4 year deals and giving out 2 year deals to injures 34 year olds.

It might take a change of manager, or two changes to get there but there needs to be some kind of plan as a club. Look at Forest they are a basket case. They’ve jumped from one manager to another and got nowhere. Same for Derby and Sheff Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Absolutely spot on.

They are deluded. They think we can just flick a switch and change style, still challenge and bring through youngsters whilst others around us either spend millions or they have a long term plan. It’s going to be a slow process and they don’t have the patience.

Is Harris the man to bring sexy football? Probably not but is he a man who can work with this squad of players and keep us competitive whilst slowly changing the squad and style. I think so. He’s brought down the age of the squad at least.

It might take another year or two of consolidation and start signing younger players with resale value to eventually move forward as a football club. For a start we need to stop signing your 28-30 year olds on 3/4 year deals and giving out 2 year deals to injures 34 year olds.

It might take a change of manager, or two changes to get there but there needs to be some kind of plan as a club. Look at Forest they are a basket case. They’ve jumped from one manager to another and got nowhere. Same for Derby and Sheff Wed.
    Yeah this makes sense to me. I have seen constant managerial changes at Reading with no improvement at all. This season may prove to be different. Time will tell but we have been very lucky not to have been relegated in recent years and have racked up massive debts and could still face FFP penalties. We have been changing managers at a ridiculous rate.

This season may be mid table mediocrity for Cardiff but if it is used to bring about gradual change in the style of play then it may still prove to be a worthwhile season. The important part is to stay at this level and not go down. Then look to continue the gradual changes next season whilst remaining competitive. No reason why it can’t be done but it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And this is what many of us are asking. We don't have much of a plan as a club as far as I can see, though at least we're getting some youth system going again. That will take time.

I still feel we're suffering with the same short-termism, pressure on Harris to make the top 6 with what he's got which I think is utterly ridiculous.

I think you're right, it will take a change of manager or two to get to where we need to be. We're a side that is now playing for set pieces. That's not moving forward on the pitch. That's a manager trying to make his side successful as he's under pressure from above. It needs a huge clearout, but that's not going to happen any time soon.