+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whats a club ethos , direction , identity ?

Whats a club ethos , direction , identity ?

I am hearing a lot of this which just seems psycho babble to me

We are cardiff city , we are trying , like a load of other clubs , to get promoted

We all know that it would be great to have a team of local youngsters and some experienced players guiding the way to the championship

We all wish that several of our recent signings were not below par

And maybe we wish we had a big name manager

And a successful, trophy winning past

But we don't

Clubs with ethos and direction and identity are the big bucks teams

Do we need new players , do we need a boardroom shake up ? Obviously

But this is football , not the apprentice

Re: Whats a club ethos , direction , identity ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

We are cardiff city , we are trying , like a load of other clubs , to get promoted

We all know that it would be great to have a team of local youngsters and some experienced players guiding the way to the championship

But we don't

Brentford?

This post is a bit silly, football has moved on. It's evident when you look at our recruitment set up

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Brentford?

This post is a bit silly, football has moved on. It's evident when you look at our recruitment set up
    Brentford have been a useful side for several seasons , they get a lot of scraps from the London clubs

If they go up they may stay up for a few seasons and annoy the big boys and that would be great or they will go down

Burnley , Bournemouth , Watford etc have all spent several years in the top flight as have the boneheads up the road but do you think that Swansea City have an ethos and identity running through the club ? It wasn't long ago that the Jack's wanted the manager sacked

We have clearly signed some sub standard players in recent seasons , that happens in football , but what has that got to do with club ethos and identity ?

Tan owns this club , he has made some big mistakes but he also controls the purse strings. I can fully understand why he's told Harris there will not be much money and we are going to have to get used to it .

The world of football is full of clubs that have made bad signings and also small clubs that come along from time to time with diamonds they have unearthed like Brentford and Bournemouth . It happens .

But does anybody seriously think a boardroom change is going to make this club get chomping at the bit again ?

Until recently we had won 4 on the trot , thats what gives everyone a lift

But we don't

The people who are saying all this haven't got a clue either mate. Cardiff fans, and I don't know where it's come from, just love to moan moan moan.

You'd think we'd not been in the unpredictable Championship before, teams rarely walk this League and anyone can beat anyone. As soon as we lose people become manically depressed and when we win they reluctantly give everyone apart from Harris a pat on the back.

Not sure what would make some people on here happy, probably concluding football isn't the right sport for them, or that Cardiff aren't the right team for them. Moan moan bloody moan

But we don't

Agree to you to a certain extent but aren’t these new football buzz words just tarted up expressions for saying the club hasn’t got a fuucking clue what they are doing?

In City’s case I think it’s a fair point. City seem to have people running the club who have little idea football wise or what direction they wish to go?

As for our identity, that’s at the whim of the owner isn’t it

But we have an identity, despite having an owner who has given various managers the sort of money to spend on players that we could only have dreamed about during the dungeon days, we're still "plucky little Cardiff" playing our underdog football.

What characteristic(s) can we tap into that can give us a greater chance of succeeding not just this year but over multiple years?

It's not something just for the bigger clubs: clubs like Luton, Barnsley, QPR are doing it to give them the best chance of doing well, even if they're growing into that success in one to three seasons time. The only clubs not looking at a medium to longer term plan are clubs who haven't asked the question, for example those fire-fighting imminent financial disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    The people who are saying all this haven't got a clue either mate. Cardiff fans, and I don't know where it's come from, just love to moan moan moan.

You'd think we'd not been in the unpredictable Championship before, teams rarely walk this League and anyone can beat anyone. As soon as we lose people become manically depressed and when we win they reluctantly give everyone apart from Harris a pat on the back.

Not sure what would make some people on here happy, probably concluding football isn't the right sport for them, or that Cardiff aren't the right team for them. Moan moan bloody moan
    Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Agree to you to a certain extent but aren’t these new football buzz words just tarted up expressions for saying the club hasn’t got a fuucking clue what they are doing?

In City’s case I think it’s a fair point. City seem to have people running the club who have little idea football wise or what direction they wish to go?

As for our identity, that’s at the whim of the owner isn’t it
    the direction is obviously promotion

They have understandably said we have stumped up the cash , make the best of what you have got

And thats the way it is

But we don't

We do need a boardroom shake up but also an owner shake up. One of Vincent Tan’s other business interests in this country is H R Owen, purveyor of up market motor cars. I am sure H R Owen has expertise in key positions regarding how Ferraris and Lamborghinis work but Tan does not appear to have extended the benefit of football expertise in critical positions at Cardiff City FC. Vincent Tan needs to shake himself up as well as his “board”.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post

That just isn’t true.

Few people moaned when when Warnock was
    appointed. People didn’t moan when we signed Moore and Wilson.

Fans moan when they are being bored to tears by utterly awful dull, dreary, directionless, bland football week after week after week ESPECIALLY when other teams show that slick pass and move football IS actually possible. And can be successful.

And that is only to be expected.

the direction is obviously promotion

They have understandably said we have stumped up the cash , make the best of what you have got

And thats the way it is
    Rather too simplistic Sludgey and you’re moving the question to something else.

I’m not arsed about getting into it mind.

Brentford have been a useful side for several seasons , they get a lot of scraps from the London clubs

If they go up they may stay up for a few seasons and annoy the big boys and that would be great or they will go down

Burnley , Bournemouth , Watford etc have all spent several years in the top flight as have the boneheads up the road but do you think that Swansea City have an ethos and identity running through the club ? It wasn't long ago that the Jack's wanted the manager sacked

We have clearly signed some sub standard players in recent seasons , that happens in football , but what has that got to do with club ethos and identity ?

Tan owns this club , he has made some big mistakes but he also controls the purse strings. I can fully understand why he's told Harris there will not be much money and we are going to have to get used to it .

The world of football is full of clubs that have made bad signings and also small clubs that come along from time to time with diamonds they have unearthed like Brentford and Bournemouth . It happens .

But does anybody seriously think a boardroom change is going to make this club get chomping at the bit again ?

Until recently we had won 4 on the trot , thats what gives everyone a lift
    Swansea don't have an identity? Have we been watching the same sport for the past 10 years? They diverted a little bit when they appointed that American but the last two appointments have shown they are committed to a certain style of play and recruitment remains largely the same. As for Brentford getting London scraps, what about Swansea? They just sold Rodon for 10m, something we could only dream of really. what's our excuse?

Sub standard signings is an understatement, how many players has Tan had to pay off because we couldn't sell them? Or how many players have we sold on for a profit? We look amateurish at times in the transfer market, Warnock's summer after the relegation is a perfect example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Swansea don't have an identity? Have we been watching the same sport for the past 10 years? They diverted a little bit when they appointed that American but the last two appointments have shown they are committed to a certain style of play and recruitment remains largely the same. As for Brentford getting London scraps, what about Swansea? They just sold Rodon for 10m, something we could only dream of really. what's our excuse?

Sub standard signings is an understatement, how many players has Tan had to pay off because we couldn't sell them? Or how many players have we sold on for a profit? We look amateurish at times in the transfer market, Warnock's summer after the relegation is a perfect example of this.
    Exactly. Martinez started something there 13 years ago. And they've been playing decent football ever since. Admittedly "the Swansea way" was somewhat exaggerated and over-hyped. But you can't deny they played some nice football. And they made more than a good show of their first few years in the EPL. Also, I not sure there's one manager they've had during that time that I wouldn't have preferred to what we had at City.

Yeah the whole identity thing is overstated. It's just that other clubs seem to have some good ideas of where they're going and aren't shambling along getting caught out by promotion, for instance. Perhaps we're finally on the path to a more progressive future but won't see evidence of this for a while. It's difficult to say with our board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That just isn’t true.

Fans moan when they are being bored to tears by utterly awful dull, dreary, directionless, bland football week after week after week ESPECIALLY when other teams show that slick pass and move football IS actually possible. And can be successful.

You'd find a way to moan if Beyonce offered to shag you and you didn't post for days on end when we won 4 straight.

That just isn’t true.

Have a look at the teams who have upper third expectations given the size of their club and catchment. Most of the things you complain about have been in our DNA since we removed Dave Jones, Mackay was mostly functional, Solksjaer experimental, followed by cost trimming Slade and niaive Trollope. Warnock brought us success then bought us failure. He tied one of Harris's hands behind his back but he seems at best a transitional manager to something more modern that doesn't bankrupt us.

If you look at where we are against teams like Derby, Notts Forest, Sheff Wed and Birmingham then, I know the parachute payment clock is ticking, but I would not swap places with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You'd find a way to moan if Beyonce offered to shag you and you didn't post for days on end when we won 4 straight.
    And you’d find a way to praise some of the worst football most of us have seen in recent years.

Utterly bizarre.

That just isn’t true.

For what it's worth, I think we're marginally more entertaining to watch than when Russell Slade was here, but not by much. I had a quick Boxing day snooze during the first half yesterday and, judging by friends on social media, I wasn't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For what it's worth, I think we're marginally more entertaining to watch than when Russell Slade was here, but not by much. I had a quick Boxing day snooze during the first half yesterday and, judging by friends on social media, I wasn't alone.
    Lol - and that isn’t saying much ;-)