+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stubbornly remaining in “plucky little Cardiff City” mode.

Stubbornly remaining in “plucky little Cardiff City” mode.

Cardiff City were "excellent" while they were not having a single goal attempt.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Stubbornly remaining in “plucky little Cardiff City” mode.

Playing wise, the Club's in a mess. For a long time the temptation has been to tweek what's there as opposed to build from the bottom up. I believe this is in part a consequence of the ultimate failure of Dave Jones' team[s] failing at the last hurdle so often, and in that sense it succeeded.

But we've becoming progressively a less and less skilled squad as each year passes. There is, literally, no other team in the Championship and probably few in league 1 either, whose play resembles ours. I commented earlier this season that this is a team in decline. The competitiveness of the Championship would make it impossible to 'rebuild' without dropping down a division. I'm not sure a number of our players aren't tiring of the week in week out attrition either,

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Playing wise, the Club's in a mess. For a long time the temptation has been to tweek what's there as opposed to build from the bottom up. I believe this is in part a consequence of the ultimate failure of Dave Jones' team[s] failing at the last hurdle so often, and in that sense it succeeded.

But we've becoming progressively a less and less skilled squad as each year passes. There is, literally, no other team in the Championship and probably few in league 1 either, whose play resembles ours. I commented earlier this season that this is a team in decline. The competitiveness of the Championship would make it impossible to 'rebuild' without dropping down a division. I'm not sure a number of our players aren't tiring of the week in week out attrition either,
    Some very good points made. It’s a simplistic way of looking at it, but I always maintain that no professional footballer started playing the game because they wanted to be great when not in possession, it would have been all about what they could do when they were on the ball. Of course, as they earn a living from the game, the average player will do their best to be as good as they can be when the other side has the ball, but they aren’t called the “ugly things” for nothing and the grind of week after week of mostly having to do those ugly things could, as you hint at, become wearing for even the best of pros.

Think the criticism and defence of Harris has started to repeat itself. Roll on games against Wycombe and Rotherham, sides towards bottom of the table where we've struggled in a more concerning way, so things can freshen things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Think the criticism and defence of Harris has started to repeat itself. Roll on games against Wycombe and Rotherham, sides towards bottom of the table where we've struggled in a more concerning way, so things can freshen things up a bit.
    I’d say there’s a bigger issue here than the current City manager. Four years ago this summer when attention switched to club football following Wales’ heroics, the talk was of the “Cardiff way”. In truth, there already was a Cardiff way = it was bought here by Sam Hammam and was based on the antiquated Wimbledon style of the eighties and nineties. That style has been less prominent during certain periods of the last twenty years, but it’s never gone away completely .

There was a discussion on here last night if it has been a deliberate policy to play for attacking set piece situations by City - my answer would be, of course it has been, even when we have tried to play a bit more football, we have never been a side that treats set pieces merely as a way of restarting the game.

However, there was a time under Russell Slade’s management when they seemed to be our only attacking ploy and, to a lesser extent, it’s felt like that sometimes under the two Neils.

We failed to have a single goal attempt of any kind until the very last minute of added time at the end of the first halfyesterday. Our manager described our performance as “excellent” and talked of how we stopped our opponents playing. If it had been a National League or League Two team playing a Premier League side in a cup tie, then I would have said fair enough, but when it’s the man in charge of a club that has had all the advantages we have in the past decade compared to many who are currently above us saying it, I think there’s something wrong here- why are we so afraid of these teams we should be at least the equal of?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d say there’s a bigger issue here than the current City manager. Four years ago this summer when attention switched to club football following Wales’ heroics, the talk was of the “Cardiff way”. In truth, there already was a Cardiff way = it was bought here by Sam Hammam and was based on the antiquated Wimbledon style of the eighties and nineties. That style has been less prominent during certain periods of the last twenty years, but it’s never gone away completely .

There was a discussion on here last night if it has been a deliberate policy to play for attacking set piece situations by City - my answer would be, of course it has been, even when we have tried to play a bit more football, we have never been a side that treats set pieces merely as a way of restarting the game.

However, there was a time under Russell Slade’s management when they seemed to be our only attacking ploy and, to a lesser extent, it’s felt like that sometimes under the two Neils.

We failed to have a single goal attempt of any kind until the very last minute of added time at the end of the first halfyesterday. Our manager described our performance as “excellent” and talked of how we stopped our opponents playing. If it had been a National League or League Two team playing a Premier League side in a cup tie, then I would have said fair enough, but when it’s the man in charge of a club that has had all the advantages we have in the past decade compared to many who are currently above us saying it, I think there’s something wrong here- why are we so afraid of these teams we should be at least the equal of?
    The only manager that has had a plan over the past 20 years is Mackay. He played a very organised style of football, a little conservative at times, although there was method and thought and in my opinion it could've evolved under him. He was about hard working midfield players, but not just in the defensive mode, they were expected to support and create under the right circumstances.

Every other manager since Mackay has set up in a way that shows their inadequacies both on the training pitch and the development side. When was the last time that we picked up a young player with promise and developed him into a quality operator? Our transfer policy is akin to shopping for ready meals, there's not much that can be added in terms of quality and taste, and in some instances, very close to the sell by date. In short, we don't develop players, we don't have a plan in mind, we have no foresight.

If we lose our style of play comes into question and thats fair enough. Even if we play direct our players should be far more comfortable on the ball.

Our squad is so thin and lacking in depth I dont think Harris had any other option than to go more direct.

We miss last years Tomlin massively and the loss of Kiefer Moore is huge.

Harris needs to know what the plan is next summer and look to build. Can we keep Moore and Morrison unless really big offers come in.

We need to start rebuilding now theres a lot of players who really need moving on.

Sadly some are big money Warnock signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The only manager that has had a plan over the past 20 years is Mackay. He played a very organised style of football, a little conservative at times, although there was method and thought and in my opinion it could've evolved under him. He was about hard working midfield players, but not just in the defensive mode, they were expected to support and create under the right circumstances.

Every other manager since Mackay has set up in a way that shows their inadequacies both on the training pitch and the development side. When was the last time that we picked up a young player with promise and developed him into a quality operator? Our transfer policy is akin to shopping for ready meals, there's not much that can be added in terms of quality and taste, and in some instances, very close to the sell by date. In short, we don't develop players, we don't have a plan in mind, we have no foresight.
    The transfer window when we were relegated was a big opportunity.

We signed Glatzel Flint Vasell an Whyte.

An absolute disaster.

Has there been a worse window.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The transfer window when we were relegated was a big opportunity.

We signed Glatzel Flint Vasell an Whyte.

An absolute disaster.

Has there been a worse window.?
    That's the best part of fifteen million quid.

In truth, there already was a Cardiff way = it was bought here by Sam Hammam and was based on the antiquated Wimbledon style of the eighties and nineties.
    What an odd claim. You reckon City played like Wimbledon after Hammam arrived?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What an odd claim. You reckon City played like Wimbledon after Hammam arrived?
    There's a preconception about Wimbledon and how they played, usually stirred up by the media, probably Hammam and some of the players. They were direct and physical at times although they had some very good players during that period, they wouldn't have survived for so long if they didn't. To answer your question, i don't think that we played like Wimbledon, the closest we got to them was the culture at the club.

To answer your question, i don't think that we played like Wimbledon, the closest we got to them was the culture at the club.
    Neither do I. As you say, rightly or wrongly, Wimbledon were regarded as a physical side who played a direct, no frills style of football. I don't think City fitted into that category at all during the Hammam era.

Once Billy Ayre had been dispensed with, we brought in a long ball, former Wimbledon boss, in Bobby Gould and then a stalwart of typical Wimbledon sides came in to take over. Within a few games of the Hammam era starting, we signed a battering ram, giant centre forward of limited ability and teamed him up with a prolific striker who was happy to chase long balls into the channels - we also had a centre back who scored more than ten times to emphasise the importance of set pieces.

We also had the money to bring in players who were too good really for the Fourth Division and we scored a lot of goals which meant we were better to watch than most Wimbledon teams and, unlike now, we were like Wimbledon in that we were able to develop our own players and sell them for big sums - we were also like Wimbledon in that we were able to sell on some of the better players we. brought in for fairly modest sums at a tidy profit.

I think the main problem is with the ownership and the directors. To put it plainly, they don't know what they're doing. Tan spent a lot of money to get us to the Pemier League and obviously had no idea how difficult it was going to be to stay there. He misguidedly thought that a former Man U player would save the day and obviously that didn't work out. Then it was "steady the ship" with Slade and since then besides a very brief flirtation with non-existent "the Cardiff Way", it's been all about the short term. The only thing long term, is the unintended consequences of the Warnock era. A hole that will take a lot of planning and money to get out of. Unless something drastic happens, I think we're stuck in this pattern for some time to come. With the expectations and budget slipping lower each season.

just watched hudson and vaulks goals...have a look again bob..they were at the best from the same distance..with vaulks maybe being a tad longer

That's the best part of fifteen million quid.
    Eeeek

There's a preconception about Wimbledon and how they played, usually stirred up by the media, probably Hammam and some of the players. They were direct and physical at times although they had some very good players during that period, they wouldn't have survived for so long if they didn't. To answer your question, i don't think that we played like Wimbledon, the closest we got to them was the culture at the club.
    Think your bang on ,remember when he arrived there was a suggestion of a Wimbledon type team , however it didn't materialise

we were also like Wimbledon in that we were able to sell on some of the better players we. brought in for fairly modest sums at a tidy profit.
    Something I’ve been thinking of recently. For periods in the 00s it felt like we were bringing in and selling on players at decent sums at what felt like a regular clip. This pattern has totally evaporated recently.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I won't also bump the thread where I said we'd get 1-4 points from the December games after Swansea. (if Eric can bump his threads to show his "predictions" so can I).

The good news is that I can see much better results after the 16th January. The bad news is that we haven't got an easy month of fixtures at any point so there will be more bumps in the road.