+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2 Games to save his bacon,?

2 Games to save his bacon,?

I can't imagine Harris hanging on unless we get a minimum of 4pts from the next 2. Even that may not be enough.

Re: 2 Games to save his bacon,?

I will laugh if we sack Harris and bring back Russell Slade

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I can't imagine Harris hanging on unless we get a minimum of 4pts from the next 2. Even that may not be enough.
    I think he'll last the season. Absolutely no point in bringing in a new manager halfway through January, not allowing him the transfer window to wheel and deal and telling him the club expects his side to finish in the top 6. Our board isn't that loopy, or is it?

After Coventry I said out like 90% of posters on here, but they bounced back with a run of wins which I now think gives Harris a chance to prove himself, I would give him until this time next year unless we fall into a relegation battle but I think we’ll end up about 12-15th this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think he'll last the season. Absolutely no point in bringing in a new manager halfway through January, not allowing him the transfer window to wheel and deal and telling him the club expects his side to finish in the top 6. Our board isn't that loopy, or is it?
    Surely now is the best time though? This season written off and go at it next year if they decide to spend, spend, spend. To quote that old dear that won the pools.

No one signs anyone decent in January, a new manager then gets half a season to see what he's got and then brings his own players in during the summer.

If the new manager gets no backing may as well stick with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Surely now is the best time though? This season written off and go at it next year if they decide to spend, spend, spend. To quote that old dear that won the pools.

No one signs anyone decent in January, a new manager then gets half a season to see what he's got and then brings his own players in during the summer.

If the new manager gets no backing may as well stick with what you have.
    3 weeks ago would have been the best time, so he could evaluate the squad and look at January. I don't think the board would write off this season if they changed manager now. Better for the new man if it capitulates over the next month or so, then is given free run with the team. That's why I think Harris will stay for the season, or be moved on just before if the right man is available (according to the board, so that could be anyone.....)

3 weeks ago would have been the best time, so he could evaluate the squad and look at January. I don't think the board would write off this season if they changed manager now. Better for the new man if it capitulates over the next month or so, then is given free run with the team. That's why I think Harris will stay for the season, or be moved on just before if the right man is available (according to the board, so that could be anyone.....)
    I can't see us spending like the other sides looking to go up anyway so makes no difference if he stays or goes now or in the summer.

Seasons of mid table mediocrity beckon at best.

It's not my money so I can't complain.

By “our Board” I assume you mean the absolute dictator of an owner who knows nothing about football and his 2 yes men who appear to know only a little more. I don’t think that particular triumvirate are capable of making a rational football decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    By “our Board” I assume you mean the absolute dictator of an owner who knows nothing about football and his 2 yes men who appear to know only a little more. I don’t think that particular triumvirate are capable of making a rational football decision.
    I know diplomacy....

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Harris won't be sacked unless we're in danger of going down. Surely, even Dalman and Tan can see this is not a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I’m starting to think that Tan is not actually such a great owner of the club.
    Yes, he’s funded managers over the years, but the amount of money that has been squandered on his watch is scandalous. In the absence of a Director of Football, the buck stops with him.
    Add this to the complete lack of any coherent plan going back years, with seemingly random managerial appointments and I’d argue that there’s more to be being a responsible owner than the money side.
    Looking back, I think that Warnock ruined the club. So he got us a promotion, but at what cost? We’re limping along in the Championship with a squad made up mostly of his donkey players and the club is financially challenged, which is not just because of Coronavirus, since they were talking about it a year ago.
    Getting rid of Harris only puts us at the mercy of the three man committee.
    The club needs change at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I’m starting to think that Tan is not actually such a great owner of the club.
    Yes, he’s funded managers over the years, but the amount of money that has been squandered on his watch is scandalous. In the absence of a Director of Football, the buck stops with him.
    Add this to the complete lack of any coherent plan going back years, with seemingly random managerial appointments and I’d argue that there’s more to be being a responsible owner than the money side.
    Looking back, I think that Warnock ruined the club. So he got us a promotion, but at what cost? We’re limping along in the Championship with a squad made up mostly of his donkey players and the club is financially challenged, which is not just because of Coronavirus, since they were talking about it a year ago.
    Getting rid of Harris only puts us at the mercy of the three man committee.
    The club needs change at the top.
    Wow, Tan has squandered money (his own by the way) and Warnock ruined the club. Rather extreme don't you think.

We're obviously not in with a serious chance of promotion this season but without the injuries to Moore, Tutu and Tomlin I would hazard a guess that we would be much higher up in the table. Are you seriously expecting a promotion challenge every season ? I'm sure fans of Forest and Derby would be more than satisfied to be where we are at present.

It's rarely plain sailing at any club of our stature but when you look at the comparative success that has been achieved in recent times surely you should be able to take the rough with the smooth.

I'm no fan of the style of football we play as it resembles that of a bygone age but we are mid-table in the Championship and that's as good as we have ever been in my lifetime apart from the occasional seasons in recent years when we got promoted and met the same fate as Icarus.

What I’m saying is that the club is drifting along due to poor decision making from the top.
    Tan does not seem to be willing to bring in someone with football knowledge and maybe that’s because they wouldn’t be part of his inner circle.
    I’m not expecting promotion every year, but I would expect to see some kind of long term planning being embedded and in that respect, Tan is failing the club.

Think we need more patience. We can't ask for a longer term plan then see the work being done over past 12 months with the academy, the type of player now being brought into the club, a manager who is (rather awkwardly) trying to improve playing style bit by bit and still talk about Tan not knowing how to run the club and manager having two games to save job. Wait until end of the year to review how it's gone and if any changes need to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I will laugh if we sack Harris and bring back Russell Slade
    Our next manager, wheneverit occurs, won't be Slade.

But it could be someone equally cheap.

I'm conflicted by this one. I dont think Harris is good enough to get us to the Prem, but good enough to keep us mid table.
    On the plus side he has inherited a Warnock team if limited technical ability that he will be unable to change significantly in the short term. He is also getting brownie points for starting to integrate academy players into the squad. That, again, will take time.
    On the debit side, a manager rarely has time and there is no doubt that Tan and Dalman were banking on a team that was challenging for auto. Without the injuries that might have been possible.
    I dont see Tan and Dalman giving Harris much more time. If he goes, I hope they bring in a young, forward looking manager who carries on the academy work Harris has started.

Even without injuries auto promotion looked ambitious (or unrealistic) to say the least. I don’t recall many predicting or expecting this, inside or outside the club. Just about PO position with some fortune is more realistic.

I’d say we’re about where we should be with, for the most part, the limited players and limited manager we have. Harris is a short term plaster, no offence to the man; he overachieved last season to his credit, but he’s not the solution if the club has actual ambitions for changing the style of play and having the structure in place to ensure the right kind of recruitment long term.

I don’t particularly think the hierarchy are really that serious about those vaulted ambitions though. Ship has been steadied for now and I don’t think there’s much to gain getting rid of the manager now or for the rest of the season really. Close season with a transfer window seems the most sensible time to get someone in that fits the “progressive” mould a bit more but the “shock” promotion and how it was handled has left the city with some work to do over the next few years to catch up with the better sides in the division.

Promotion may seem unrealistic, but Warnock has turned Middlesbrough from relegation candidates to play-off contenders. It can be done. But if we can't beat Rotherham and Wycombe, then there's something wrong somewhere.

If we lose at Wycombe, I do not want him in charge for our next game.

It's a pity as I really like Harris but am getting tired of his post match comments and his unwillingness to drop the players who are making these "individual errors"!

We may to Wycombe which won't shock me, as their body language looks bad , they looked well down , like a side knowing promotion is now far away and not in their grasp where sort of running on empty , he may not save his sausage , eggs or beans .