+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harris: "It’s about the result, not the performance on Saturday"

Harris: "It’s about the result, not the performance on Saturday"

Re: Harris: "It’s about the result, not the performance on Saturday"

He's got to win.

Interesting stuff.

So Joe Day out on loan if possible, Tom Sang may come back into the squad, Josh Murphy needs to pull his finger out!

And if the transcript is right Harris seems to be saying we will play 3 - 5 - 2 at Rotherham! Unless Cunningham comes in on the left of the back three, that will mean Nelson, Benkovic and Sol at the back. Sol is a leader but has hardly played this season. Benkovic has played even less and had a defensive nightmare at Wycombe. Nelson is out of form. The previous attempts to play with 3/5 at the back have been goal-fests, and not in a good way!

Could be a long 90 minutes.

I'm more concerned with the performance to be honest. Things need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm more concerned with the performance to be honest. Things need to change.
    As we all are but Harris needs a win. That's why we went back to basics and won 4 in a row. Our squad is built to do one particular way and we aren't good enough to play another.

Style of football not worked, what is the plan now?
    "It’s always a bit of both. I’ve tried to explain philosophies. It’s about utilsiing players available, working against the team you’re playing against and what is effective to win games of football.

"I think we can use Norwich and Brentford in particular who have a clear structure. Norwich has been in place for three and a half years, Brentford five years upwards.

"When you don’t have that time, it’s about finding away, without veering too far away from what you want to do.

"If we are aggressive, direct and effective, fine. If we are trying to play the ball between the lines and into space, fine, happy with that. We show the players what we want.

"A lot of the time it’s about using the players at your disposal.

"I don’t think it’s just about possession to win games of football, we have done it both ways.

"The club has had a lot of success in the last three years by being a little more direct and having less possession of the ball.

"Longer term for the club, to build a philosophy through the club from the academy upwards, it’s about having a little bit more possession and setting a structured shape of a formation, tinkering, yes, but having that idea set in stone.

"That’s what we are trying to do and implement within the club.

"We might not get the fruition today.

"When I talk about getting a team of Cardiff City graduates, from 8s to 12s, to 15s, then they have had that time and it takes time to build.

"Swansea are slowly getting into nice patterns because it’s taken them years to get there. Brentford have done the same.

"Norwich took time and invested and brought in different people to do it behind the scenes.

"That’s where we need to get to. We have implemented a lot in the last 12 months but we have not always seen the fruition on the pitch at the moment."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-live-19544506
    Didn't think it was his best conference (maybe the write-up is worse than usual?) but we can gather something about longer term plans off the back of that answer.

It's now all about making the right decisions and getting the timing of those decisions right so we can build for 2022-2023 onwards. That will give us just short of 3 years of longer term planning (Warnock was great in many ways but looks like he's saved his ambitions for longer term planning for the Boro job) when we could be roughly as settled and prepared as Norwich or Swansea are now, if things go to plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    As we all are but Harris needs a win. That's why we went back to basics and won 4 in a row. Our squad is built to do one particular way and we aren't good enough to play another.
    I refuse to believe that there isn't a manager out there that could get them to play a bit of football. It's not like we have a squad full of cloggers. They're older than I'd like, there's not much pace, but it's not like we have a squad of LFWs. With the right coaching, they can all play.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting stuff.

So Joe Day out on loan if possible, Tom Sang may come back into the squad, Josh Murphy needs to pull his finger out!

And if the transcript is right Harris seems to be saying we will play 3 - 5 - 2 at Rotherham! Unless Cunningham comes in on the left of the back three, that will mean Nelson, Benkovic and Sol at the back. Sol is a leader but has hardly played this season. Benkovic has played even less and had a defensive nightmare at Wycombe. Nelson is out of form. The previous attempts to play with 3/5 at the back have been goal-fests, and not in a good way!

Could be a long 90 minutes.
    Am I the only one who didn’t see this supposed defensive nightmare that Benkovic had? Yes he was rusty and got caught flat footed for their first goal but I didn’t think their 2nd was down to him. He also showed a range of passing and a willingness to take the ball from Smithies and pass it forward. Not a great night and not how he’d have wanted his debut to go but I certainly wouldn’t class it as a nightmare.

I refuse to believe that there isn't a manager out there that could get them to play a bit of football. It's not like we have a squad full of cloggers. They're older than I'd like, there's not much pace, but it's not like we have a squad of LFWs. With the right coaching, they can all play.
    The spine of our team is almost exclusively cloggers. We tried to play a bit more of a passing game earlier in the season and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Am I the only one who didn’t see this supposed defensive nightmare that Benkovic had? Yes he was rusty and got caught flat footed for their first goal but I didn’t think their 2nd was down to him. He also showed a range of passing and a willingness to take the ball from Smithies and pass it forward. Not a great night and not how he’d have wanted his debut to go but I certainly wouldn’t class it as a nightmare.
    That's how I saw it. In fairness to him its likely to be several games before we can pass judgement, but he can certainly pass a ball better than our other centre backs.

Sorry mate winning when playing bad can be a positive, sadly we ain't got either.

3 nil to Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    That's how I saw it. In fairness to him its likely to be several games before we can pass judgement, but he can certainly pass a ball better than our other centre backs.
    And isn't giving Benko an opportunity what it's all about? We know about the others who play in that position. We've got him on loan, he must have something in terms of natural ability, it may well be his work ethic, attitude that's questionable. I'd like to find out though.

Chuck anyone in, its all gone to shite it's all Warnock's fault, letting us smell success and a will to win , barstard.

Thinly veiled "lose and I'm sacked"?

Let’s be fair he can’t win. If he said **** the result just looking for a good performance people would lose their shit. Good luck Neil whatever the plan is on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I don’t think that he changed things much for for defeats against Norwich, Brentford and Wycombe. It is hardly like he has this great winning formula that he wheels out and we win 4 games on the trot.

We have been rubbish for months and he needs a to find a solution. And quickly.

He will tinker with the wingers and hope for the best.

A win will paper over the performance but a defeat will not be made any brighter if we have 88% possession and play like Barcelona.

As it's only one game, I don't there's much to see hrere. A big problem for me is that we have played well and won in the past but have now regressed. I thought we had turned a corner after lockdown. But now it's all gone to shit. Neil Harris doesn't even talk a good game.

As it's only one game, I don't there's much to see hrere. A big problem for me is that we have played well and won in the past but have now regressed. I thought we had turned a corner after lockdown. But now it's all gone to shit. Neil Harris doesn't even talk a good game.
    I haven’t seen us play well for months. Many months.

That is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I haven’t seen us play well for months. Many months.

That is the problem.
    We absolutely murdered Huddersfield and Luton, and we deservedly beat Watford.