+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Passovotchka- Moscow Dynamo tour of Britain 1945, the book

Passovotchka- Moscow Dynamo tour of Britain 1945, the book

Just had this book from Father Xmas. It relates to this famous Russian teams 5 match tour in this country in 1945. My father went to the game at Ninian Park, watching the Russians score 10 against their Welsh hosts. As I was growing up, he told me they were the greatest , skilful footballers he had ever seen.It looks an interesting read, something a bit different from the normal publication. Anyone else read it, or knew anyone who went to the game itself ? I’d like to know.

Re: Passovotchka- Moscow Dynamo tour of Britain 1945, the book

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Just had this book from Father Xmas. It relates to this famous Russian teams 5 match tour in this country in 1945. My father went to the game at Ninian Park, watching the Russians score 10 against their Welsh hosts. As I was growing up, he told me they were the greatest , skilful footballers he had ever seen.It looks an interesting read, something a bit different from the normal publication. Anyone else read it, or knew anyone who went to the game itself ? I’d like to know.
    I don’t know if my Dad actually went to the game (he was born in 1930 - but died in 1999 :-( ) but I remember him telling me about what a great side they were especially the keeper Tiger Khomich.

I read an article about their tour recently and didn’t realise that we were the lowest ranked team that they played, hence the fearful beating :-/

My step-father went to 2 of the Moscow Dynamo games. Having returned to Cardiff having been a POW in Silesia for the last year or so of the war the 10-1 home defeat was his first City game since 1939. He said that before the game there was a lot of ceremonial with bouquets of flowers being exchanged by the players but after that it was quite embarrassing with the gulf in class between the 2 sides being immense. He had to go to London after that having got an interview for a job with Shell and while he was there he went to the game against Arsenal. He said that it was so foggy you couldn’t see the other end of the pitch. I remember him saying that it was a Goodwill tour. Having been a POW in Silesia he was marched back towards Germany in the hard winter of early 1945 by the Germans in front of the advancing Russians who eventually caught up with them and captured him and what was left of his fellow prisoners. He was not treated particularly well and was eventually part of a prisoner exchange for German prisoners (he told me he was swapped for Max Schmeling who he spoke to). The short time he was a prisoner of the Russians left him not feeling much goodwill towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    My step-father went to 2 of the Moscow Dynamo games. Having returned to Cardiff having been a POW in Silesia for the last year or so of the war the 10-1 home defeat was his first City game since 1939. He said that before the game there was a lot of ceremonial with bouquets of flowers being exchanged by the players but after that it was quite embarrassing with the gulf in class between the 2 sides being immense. He had to go to London after that having got an interview for a job with Shell and while he was there he went to the game against Arsenal. He said that it was so foggy you couldn’t see the other end of the pitch. I remember him saying that it was a Goodwill tour. Having been a POW in Silesia he was marched back towards Germany in the hard winter of early 1945 by the Germans in front of the advancing Russians who eventually caught up with them and captured him and what was left of his fellow prisoners. He was not treated particularly well and was eventually part of a prisoner exchange for German prisoners (he told me he was swapped for Max Schmeling who he spoke to). The short time he was a prisoner of the Russians left him not feeling much goodwill towards them.
    What lives people led back then :-/

I didn't know that the Russians took allied prisoners. Who was the prisoner exchange with?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I didn't know that the Russians took allied prisoners. Who was the prisoner exchange with?

The Americans. He and his fellow prisoners were marched back from Eastern Europe by their German captors who surrendered to the advancing Russians. They were then held ss bargaining chips for a short time to exchange fir German prisoners held by the Allies. He told me that the look of dread on the faces of the German POWs going in the other direction always stayed with him.

The Americans. He and his fellow prisoners were marched back from Eastern Europe by their German captors who surrendered to the advancing Russians. They were then held ss bargaining chips for a short time to exchange fir German prisoners held by the Allies. He told me that the look of dread on the faces of the German POWs going in the other direction always stayed with him.
    I bet. A lot of them never came back. And some of those that did weren't released until the mid 50s.