+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lazy Bastards, Wrong Players, Injuries, Lack of Ability - and One Bright Note. Harris's Dilemma.

Lazy Bastards, Wrong Players, Injuries, Lack of Ability - and One Bright Note. Harris's Dilemma.

I'm probably the only one here who came away from watching last night's game and thought Benkovic looked a decent centre back, the 1st one [for ever?] that could actually spray passes about and come of defence with the ball at his fee. If he is making the same defensive errors as he did last night after another couple of games that would be a concern, but his 1st game for a year alongside a bang-average Nelson, was always going to be difficult.

Did Harris bring in Wilson, or did the directors think they were pulling off some sort of coup. Whatever, he's totally unsuited to the squad. A fine player, but without decent players around him he's an island, making little or no impact on the game.

Josh Murphy. Wouldn't it be easier if he just put 'I don't give a *' on his shirt to save us all the trouble. He came on trundled about, and sent two crosses miles behind the goal line. An absolute waste and a manager's nightmare.

Tomlin is a better player that Wilson - considerably in my opinion. Unfortunately he's not exactly the fittest, and with Moore injured, City's attacking options are limited, practically non-exisitent. Neither Hoilett, Murphy, Ojo or Wilson could get behind fullbacks, and we really don't have the footballers to get through defences. Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks, Pack, Whyte, etc., they're all there to do one main job, stop the opposition.

Harris isn't doing any worse than anybody would in his position, though I doubt he's the man to come here and spend 2/3 seasons dismantling the squad player-by-player, and build from the bottom - which I think is the only option now open to the City..

Re: Lazy Bastards, Wrong Players, Injuries, Lack of Ability - and One Bright Note. Harris's Dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'm probably the only one here who came away from watching last night's game and thought Benkovic looked a decent centre back, the 1st one [for ever?] that could actually spray passes about and come of defence with the ball at his fee. If he is making the same defensive errors as he did last night after another couple of games that would be a concern, but his 1st game for a year alongside a bang-average Nelson, was always going to be difficult.

Did Harris bring in Wilson, or did the directors think they were pulling off some sort of coup. Whatever, he's totally unsuited to the squad. A fine player, but without decent players around him he's an island, making little or no impact on the game.

Josh Murphy. Wouldn't it be easier if he just put 'I don't give a *' on his shirt to save us all the trouble. He came on trundled about, and sent two crosses miles behind the goal line. An absolute waste and a manager's nightmare.

Tomlin is a better player that Wilson - considerably in my opinion. Unfortunately he's not exactly the fittest, and with Moore injured, City's attacking options are limited, practically non-exisitent. Neither Hoilett, Murphy, Ojo or Wilson could get behind fullbacks, and we really don't have the footballers to get through defences. Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks, Pack, Whyte, etc., they're all there to do one main job, stop the opposition.

Harris isn't doing any worse than anybody would in his position, though I doubt he's the man to come here and spend 2/3 seasons dismantling the squad player-by-player, and build from the bottom - which I think is the only option now open to the City..
    Id say Morrison missing and Benkovic replacing him is a disaster and just about the worst thing that could happen.

If we didnt have 29 points id be seriously worried.

Re: Lazy Bastards, Wrong Players, Injuries, Lack of Ability - and One Bright Note. Harris's Dilemma.

The only reason we got anywhere near the playoffs last season was Tomlin, Harris is another Trollope,clueless with lower league mentality and Is with us ,unfortunately.
    The whole club is rank from top to bottom, has there ever been a successful “ Foreign “ owner and I don’t count two missed Premeir opportunities as sucess.

I was hoping Benkovic could come in for the Rotherham game to allow players to rest. Also felt that he'd have a better chance against Rotherham strikers than Wycombe's, especially as he'd be starting as a plan rather than emergency sub.

Can't right him off as an option after one game as we have heard that there is a good player in there.

I would agree with those comments.i posted on here a number of times when Warnock was sacked, that we needed someone with the ability to come in over a 2-3 year period and change us into a footballing team.
    I further stated, when Harris was announced, that this was a disaster appointment made by a clueless board.
    Your final paragraph is exactly how we should be thinking.

Its difficult to argue with anything the OP says.
    I would add we would not have lost if Morrison had stayed on but we are where we are. Benkovic clearly off the pace, hardly unexpected, but he can pass a ball. If he can get up to speed quickly he might prove an adequate replacement if Morrison out any length of time.
    Wilson is wasted here and the sooner he goes back to Liverpool the better. He needs better players around him.
    Hopefully we have enough points already to see us safe from relegation while a new man comes in, with the backing of the board to transform the whole ethos of the football club.

It’s a funny old world. A defender who lost his man twice to concede two goals is praised for spraying the ball about.

Surely now is the time to take Bacuna out of the side? Very poor for both goals last night

Surely there's a right back somewhere at the club?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Surely now is the time to take Bacuna out of the side? Very poor for both goals last night

Surely there's a right back somewhere at the club?
    He can't play there, notably, he looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That is why he goes missing,he should be in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He goes AWOL constantly, could hear Harris screaming at him when he wandered into the midfield, their winger couldn't believe his luck

I know he's not really a full back, but is staying in position too much to ask of a professional footballer?

He goes AWOL constantly, could hear Harris screaming at him when he wandered into the midfield, their winger couldn't believe his luck

I know he's not really a full back, but is staying in position too much to ask of a professional footballer?
    He’s played at right back in the Premier League for Villa and Reading so has the experience but he obviously doesn’t want to play there and just seems to go on walk about! Another terrible signing by Warnock!

No manager is going to be given 2/3 seasons. The board (and presumably the owner) believe we're a top 6 side and have only one ambition of PL regardless of how it is done.

On the subject of Bacuna's wandering, the club commentary on the Brentford match contained a section where they said he was being encouraged to reinforce the midfield at times, so,, in a way, he's been obeying instructions it seems. My attitude towards full back play might be old fashioned then, but I would want my right back to be a right back - doesn't having him trotting off to help in central midfield rather confirm the view about us in that part of the pitch that we hear and read so much from supporters? We're not good enough or strong enough in the middle of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    On the subject of Bacuna's wandering, the club commentary on the Brentford match contained a section where they said he was being encouraged to reinforce the midfield at times, so,, in a way, he's been obeying instructions it seems. My attitude towards full back play might be old fashioned then, but I would want my right back to be a right back - doesn't having him trotting off to help in central midfield rather confirm the view about us in that part of the pitch that we hear and read so much from supporters? We're not good enough or strong enough in the middle of the park.
    Evidence of more progressive football.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Evidence of more progressive football.
    Or evidence of poor squad planning as we have to play a midfielder at right back?

Why not play Nelson-Morrison-Benkovic-Bennett across the back?
    If we want Wilson to play in Tomlin's role, then why is he out on the wing?
    How come Morrison is the only player (apart from the injured Moore) who can head the ball?

Agree with everything apart from 'Harris isn't doing any worse...' I lost complete confidence in his ability after his two injury time substitutions (can't remember which games but it was twice) of Mark Harris several games ago (not a criticism of Mark Harris). I think they were something like the 95th minute. That finished it for me.

I really miss Tomlin, or rather I miss last season's Tomlin. He's been our best player by far since he got his fitness sorted out and I loved watching him live and think he is the only player we have with natural skill and vision. One of his talents is he adapts to his teammates deficiencies and is able to bring the best out of mediocre players. Sadly, I think after the season break he seemed to have gained some weight again and his sending off made me concerned about his head space. A fit and firing Tomlin, to me, is the best player in the Championship. I just hope we get to see that version again.

I'd add we need a new captain. Morrison is stale and too comfortable. Unfortunately, we're a squad with way too many positions where there's no proper competition (not helped by a Manager who doesn't rest and rotate his starting 11).

Or evidence of poor squad planning as we have to play a midfielder at right back?
    Osei-tutu played RWB last season so full-backs high up the pitch seems to be desired.