+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Harris be the man who rebuilds the squad?

Should Harris be the man who rebuilds the squad?

Whether he is given until the end of the season or not would Neil Harris be the man that you would give the money to rebuild this squad?

Re: Should Harris be the man who rebuilds the squad?

My instinct is no but it's difficult to answer without knowing what the alternative would be. On paper he's made some decent signings - Moore, Wilson, and Osei Tutu looked decent before he got injured. What I'm not sure about with Harris is his ability to build a team that plays a certain way, it all seems a bit throw shit at a wall and see what sticks

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    My instinct is no but it's difficult to answer without knowing what the alternative would be. On paper he's made some decent signings - Moore, Wilson, and Osei Tutu looked decent before he got injured. What I'm not sure about with Harris is his ability to build a team that plays a certain way, it all seems a bit throw shit at a wall and see what sticks
    Nothing suggests to me that he is going to play anything other than the style he played at Millwall and has so far at City so for me it is a no.

It is also a question of what fans and the club want I suppose. A few on here seem to see things within performances that I simply do not. There is being positive and then being very blinkered and ignoring the obvious in front of them. We are a set piece team who bully the opposition, as were Millwall. The hustle bustle team is what Millwall fans wanted. Harris told them this early on. Harris told us what we wanted from our team when he came through the door. It funnily enough sounded a lot like what the Millwall fans wanted which fits in exactly with how he sets up his teams (and ultimately saw him out of favour with those Millwall fans).

There are those that say this team cannot play more football but most of the players we bring in have played more football at their previous clubs so for me it rubbishes the myth. Then we get teams like Wycombe who play us off the park. Wycombe are able to play a bit of football but Cardiff City players cannot? Come off it.

For me the markers for if he stays long term and is backed should be results and how much he is changing the style and building something. For me he isn't doing enough in either aspect and at the end of the season a lot of his better signings will go back to parent clubs and we will be back to square one. Stopping other teams playing and it being viewed as excellent might have been enough at Millwall but sorry it doesn't cut it for a lot of fans at Cardiff City.

A simple no from me though we haven't had the chance to see what he would do with money as I think he's made eight signings, 7 of which are loans on which we seem to be increasingly reliant.

He has no money hes confirmed that.

The answer is yes. Limited resources or no money. We stick. Which we will anyway. Hes staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    He has no money hes confirmed that.

The answer is yes. Limited resources or no money. We stick. Which we will anyway. Hes staying.
    What to you suggests Harris is the way forward?

Money or no money, I think there are much better managers out there if we are going to keep on with our change just the manager and aim for promotion method. People shuddered at the thought of Pulis. Pulis has achieved a lot more than Harris has or ever will in the managerial game.

This is one of the questions I was going to ask at the end of the year. I don't see us challenging until 2022-2023 given how much of the squad needs rebuilding over this summer and next so, at some point, we need to work out whether we think Harris is the man for that season starting September 2022 and if not when we make the change.

I still want to wait til end of the year for full season of evidence and for him to outline what he wants to do next year though.

No, absolutely not in my opinion. All Harris has essentially changed is fullbacks allowed to get forward. Our midfield have the ball a bit more but with no movement, it's all straight lines played in front of the opposition. When nothing comes of that the ball is knocked into a channel for someone to chase, basically giving up possession due to a severe lack of creativity on the pitch and on the touchline. Those are his tactics, he's implemented them, nobody else.

When results aren't going our way then i look for positives, that's the best way to get some balance in my opinion. By positives i mean players and coaching staff attempting to implement good practice. Players making runs, attempting to play through the middle of the pitch, urgency in possession and off the ball. Those traits would be enough for me to think that Harris is attempting something creative and positive, i don't see that, all i can see is the play breaking down in midfield very quickly followed by a knock down a channel which gives the opposition as much chance as us in retaining the ball and building something. It's draconian, it's a style of play that is designed in the hope that the opposition make a mistake and give us back the ball in the final third, or we get a set piece. If Harris was true to a more authentic style then he wouldn't implement that way of playing for 90 minutes. He does it because that's what he's about i'm afraid.

As for the players at his disposal. We all know that most of them aren't versed on quick play with good movement, 1 or 2 touch etc, but i don't believe that they're as bad as their recent showings where they've had no answer to teams that can play. Some people say that Harris has his hands tied due to the recruitment of Warnock, i agree, but only to a certain extent. If, like some on here say, Harris is attempting to slowly roll out a new dimension to our game, then what the hell is it? If he had anything about him and he understood that what we have is woefully short then he'd implement a style that suits the 'dross' brought in by Warnock and he'd communicate that to the fans. As it stands he's got us in a playing style with zero identity. Anyone who thinks that it's not his doing maybe needs to have a bit of a re think, or stop making excuses up for him. Look for the positives in defeat, that's the fairest way to judge a manager, just let me know when you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No, absolutely not in my opinion. All Harris has essentially changed is fullbacks allowed to get forward. Our midfield have the ball a bit more but with no movement, it's all straight lines played in front of the opposition. When nothing comes of that the ball is knocked into a channel for someone to chase, basically giving up possession due to a severe lack of creativity on the pitch and on the touchline. Those are his tactics, he's implemented them, nobody else.

When results aren't going our way then i look for positives, that's the best way to get some balance in my opinion. By positives i mean players and coaching staff attempting to implement good practice. Players making runs, attempting to play through the middle of the pitch, urgency in possession and off the ball. Those traits would be enough for me to think that Harris is attempting something creative and positive, i don't see that, all i can see is the play breaking down in midfield very quickly followed by a knock down a channel which gives the opposition as much chance as us in retaining the ball and building something. It's draconian, it's a style of play that is designed in the hope that the opposition make a mistake and give us back the ball in the final third, or we get a set piece. If Harris was true to a more authentic style then he wouldn't implement that way of playing for 90 minutes. He does it because that's what he's about i'm afraid.

As for the players at his disposal. We all know that most of them aren't versed on quick play with good movement, 1 or 2 touch etc, but i don't believe that they're as bad as their recent showings where they've had no answer to teams that can play. Some people say that Harris has his hands tied due to the recruitment of Warnock, i agree, but only to a certain extent. If, like some on here say, Harris is attempting to slowly roll out a new dimension to our game, then what the hell is it? If he had anything about him and he understood that what we have is woefully short then he'd implement a style that suits the 'dross' brought in by Warnock and he'd communicate that to the fans. As it stands he's got us in a playing style with zero identity. Anyone who thinks that it's not his doing maybe needs to have a bit of a re think, or stop making excuses up for him. Look for the positives in defeat, that's the fairest way to judge a manager, just let me know when you find them.
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

If he was genuinely taking us in another direction then I would say stick but he will just plug players into the Harris way. Footballers do not thrive in this style, Wilson being a prime example of this currently.

The follow up to this has to be whether fans think this bargain basement Warnock style is good enough to get us success if Harris is given time. I don't think Neil Harris teams are good enough defensively to get us near the top with any meaningful form to threaten other teams in the play offs and ultimately go up. Automatic places while playing this style is pie in the sky.

When we look back on Harris' time here I think that the run post lockdown and losing to Fulham in the play offs will be easily the most successful period he had here.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

If he was genuinely taking us in another direction then I would say stick but he will just plug players into the Harris way. Footballers do not thrive in this style, Wilson being a prime example of this currently.

The follow up to this has to be whether fans think this bargain basement Warnock style is good enough to get us success if Harris is giving time. I don't think Neil Harris teams are good enough defensively to get us bear the top with any meaningful form to threaten other teams in the play offs and ultimately go up. Automatic places while playing this style is pie in the sky.
    It's not difficult. His teams seem based on hard work, discipline and work ethic. I'll ask anyone on here, what are the positives, bollocks to the excuses, what are any of seeing that makes us believe that things can change. I'd be interested to know.

It's not difficult. His teams seem based on hard work, discipline and work ethic. I'll ask anyone on here, what are the positives, bollocks to the excuses, what are any of seeing that makes us believe that things can change. I'd be interested to know.
    I can't see what he is looking to do or what he has done at other clubs that tells me he is nothing more than a long ball manager whose main tactic is to stop other teams playing.

Win a free kick/corner/throw in in final third and send forward the cavalry while stopping the other team playing seems to be Harris' idea of excellent. Worrying.

Yes

It was always going to be this way on a transition of style. What’s the point of sacking a manager if we’re not going to spend anyway.

Personally, being a team of bully boys I thought was a bit of a good niche in this division at times. Don’t think Warnockball was ALWAYS dire

I'd say no don't spend or change now we are not likely to now get top 6 or go down.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Yes

It was always going to be this way on a transition of style. What’s the point of sacking a manager if we’re not going to spend anyway.

Personally, being a team of bully boys I thought was a bit of a good niche in this division at times. Don’t think Warnockball was ALWAYS dire
    It wasn't. My bigger concern was the Walesonline article where Pochettino told Bamba how premier league attackers could waltz through our defensive shape and Warnock laughed away the feedback on basis of not being able to coach a different defence.

Build with what exactly? There is no money to spend.

Are you going to just keep burying your head in the sand on this matter?

I thought he had us playing a bit of football last season and was hoping for further improvement in that department this. But what we're getting is Warnockball with wingbacks. We play for yardage and set plays. I thought getting rid of Paterson was a step in the right direction, but if we're going to play like this, we should have kept him. As I understand, the hierarchy at the club had their sights on the playoffs this season. Well, that's obviously not going to plan and it doesn't look as if it can be fixed in January. So what now?

Time to go for me and whoever comes in urgently needs to sign a right back as it has weakened two positions.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Build with what exactly? There is no money to spend.

Are you going to just keep burying your head in the sand on this matter?
    So are you saying that there's nothing that can be done, we should just accept our current situation as there's nothing the players, management or owner can do about it. It doesn't really matter who is in charge or what the playing staff do? Harris doesn't have a chance?

So are you saying that there's nothing that can be done, we should just accept our current situation as there's nothing the players, management or owner can do about it. It doesn't really matter who is in charge or what the playing staff do? Harris doesn't have a chance?
    Yes

Yes
    You are honestly saying that nobody else could have us playing football in a better position than 15th?

Sorry but I think you are wrong in a big way.

You are honestly saying that nobody else could have us playing football in a better position than 15th?

Give Paul Daniels a call perhaps he can work some magic and give the players more ability

Yes
    Fair play to you if you think it's that bad. Suppose there's no point in debating the current situation. In fact, we don't even need a manager. Sol can pick the team.

Yes.

Who is going to come in with no money to spend and under pressure to slash the budget not add to it and get average players all of a sudden playing champagne football? When 3 of our best and most important players are injured?

You keep talking about rebuilding. Rebuild with what?

Give Paul Daniels a call perhaps he can work some magic and give the players more ability
    It would be even more magical if he answered...