+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouldn’t have sold Paterson

Shouldn’t have sold Paterson

Could have filled in at numerous places. Dare I even say fullback? Potentially could have worked with him alongside Glatzel.

I know we have financial constraints too but letting him go for £500k was just ludicrous

Re: Shouldn’t have sold Paterson

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Could have filled in at numerous places. Dare I even say fullback? Potentially could have worked with him alongside Glatzel.

I know we have financial constraints too but letting him go for £500k was just ludicrous
    We needed the money.

I think the time has come to realise that sadly Glatzel is also part of our problems. Hes just not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We needed the money.

I think the time has come to realise that sadly Glatzel is also part of our problems. Hes just not good enough.
    I think Glatzel would be better if the ball to him was passed from the byline.
    Look at the 2nd goal last night,the player just run between the defenders faceing the goal job done.
    Glatzel is not a targetman he needs to be played differently.

I think Paterson was offloaded because of his wages, probably agreed by Warnock, and he wasn't;t getting much game time. But apparently he can play right back for Scotland but not for us. And what do we need? A right back. Same for Etheridge, sat on the bench on big wages. The wages we saved on those paid for the incoming loan players probably.

Having said that Paterson would at least look as though he cared about winning if he was on the pitch, and is far better than Glatzel or Harris up front too. But players come and players go, I just wish some of ours would go! Non elf them are covering themselves in glory at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I think Paterson was offloaded because of his wages, probably agreed by Warnock, and he wasn't;t getting much game time. But apparently he can play right back for Scotland but not for us. And what do we need? A right back. Same for Etheridge, sat on the bench on big wages. The wages we saved on those paid for the incoming loan players probably.

Having said that Paterson would at least look as though he cared about winning if he was on the pitch, and is far better than Glatzel or Harris up front too. But players come and players go, I just wish some of ours would go! Non elf them are covering themselves in glory at the moment.
    Think your right however I'd rather him in the squad than Flint, Whyte, Murphy , and as you point out more dangerous and influential than Glatzel and Harris .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think your right however I'd rather him in the squad than Flint, Whyte, Murphy , and as you point out more dangerous and influential than Glatzel and Harris .
    It appears that buying clubs would rather Patterson too.

Harris has come into the side this year as a young player. Unfair to see him in same bracket as the others, apart from maybe Patterson who would be competing with him for young player of the year.

Paterson offered something that we are lacking................ heart, guts & spirit.

Not much quality to his game but effort goes a long way with supporters.

L
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

Having said that Paterson would at least look as though he cared about winning if he was on the pitch, and is far better than Glatzel or Harris up front too. But players come and players go, I just wish some of ours would go! Non ELF. them are covering themselves in glory at the moment.
    The last thing we need, is a 2ft 6inches fella, dressed in green, then again, can’t be any worse than what we got now

I love how one of the main criticisms of our squad and in particular Harris' football is that it's limited and yet we seem to have a decent amount of fans who think Paterson being sold was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

If Paterson is the answer, I don't like the question. Patto was great for us but let's be honest, he's shit.

I liked Paterson. He was the epitome of a trier. I still don’t know what his best position was and I don’t think I ever will. He certainly wasn’t a right back. He would have been terrible there for us and got slaughtered by the fans. I believe the majority of his appreqmves for Scotland have been at wing back or up front.

The right back we should have signed was Chris Gunter or Adam Matthews. Both playing regular for Charlton.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I love how one of the main criticisms of our squad and in particular Harris' football is that it's limited and yet we seem to have a decent amount of fans who think Paterson being sold was a mistake.
    It's hilarious.

It’s like saying we never should have let Warnock go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If Paterson is the answer, I don't like the question. Patto was great for us but let's be honest, he's shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s like saying we never should have let Warnock go.
    Indeed he's never delivered 😒

There is a phenomenon that I refer to as 'Revolving Deck Chair Syndrome'. It's about players who were not really that good and not in the starting eleven but are remembered as being better than they actually are in times when those in the team aren't performing well.
    Some of them return to the first team only to perform poorly and eventually be churned back to the bench or out of the starting squad altogether or shipped out of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There is a phenomenon that I refer to as 'Revolving Deck Chair Syndrome'. It's about players who were not really that good and not in the starting eleven but are remembered as being better than they actually are in times when those in the team aren't performing well.
    Some of them return to the first team only to perform poorly and eventually be churned back to the bench or out of the starting squad altogether or shipped out of the club.
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiarity breeds contempt.

well when Paterson was put on the pitch to ruff up defenders and score goals 🙄

He tended to rough up defenders and score goals

Idiotic decision to let him go

Very versatile player and always put a shift in

So when he was upfront, scaring defenders and scoring goals , what exactly was your main problem with him ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So when he was upfront, scaring defenders and scoring goals , what exactly was your main problem with him ?
    Scaring defenders Countless times he'd go down at the slightest of contact, it was embarrassing, no-one was scared of him

Paterson did a good job coming from deep and getting on the end of crosses, but up front he was a pain to watch. 9 goals in 2 years is not the record of a striker I want anywhere near the starting line-up, especially someone as limited as Paterson. He couldn't pass or control a ball and most of his goals up front game from scrappy set pieces, in fact I'd be surprised if he ever had an assist for us in his time here which highlights the issues I had with him.

I remember Bristol away last season where Ward scored in the last minute, Paterson was dragged off after offering nothing all game and the first thing Ward does is make a run between the Bristol defenders, Tomlin slips him in and he scores. Paterson didn't offer that type of movement ever, he's just good at finding himself in the right place when the ball is bouncing around the box after a cross/set piece

But anyway, what does this have to do with my comment? Our fans complain our football is shit and our squad is limited yet mourn for the sale of a limited player who was a main reason for our dire football. Selling Paterson isn't part of our issues, anyone who says that is frankly deluded

Scaring defenders Countless times he'd go down at the slightest of contact, it was embarrassing, no-one was scared of him

Paterson did a good job coming from deep and getting on the end of crosses, but up front he was a pain to watch. 9 goals in 2 years is not the record of a striker I want anywhere near the starting line-up, especially someone as limited as Paterson. He couldn't pass or control a ball and most of his goals up front game from scrappy set pieces, in fact I'd be surprised if he ever had an assist for us in his time here which highlights the issues I had with him.

I remember Bristol away last season where Ward scored in the last minute, Paterson was dragged off after offering nothing all game and the first thing Ward does is make a run between the Bristol defenders, Tomlin slips him in and he scores. Paterson didn't offer that type of movement ever, he's just good at finding himself in the right place when the ball is bouncing around the box after a cross/set piece

But anyway, what does this have to do with my comment? Our fans complain our football is shit and our squad is limited yet mourn for the sale of a limited player who was a main reason for our dire football. Selling Paterson isn't part of our issues, anyone who says that is frankly deluded
    bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    bollocks
    ok

International

It amazes me that a team in Cardiff's position has not been able to either find or having found utilise a striker for years. After all when all is said and done we are an established Championship/sometimes borderline premier club, and if we had actually managed to achieve that we may still be in the premier league. How much as the lack potentially cost the club?
    And by the same token, how can so called professional scouts and managers consistently fail to find a right back? After all there must be at least 92 in League 1, one of them must be better than the one we have not got. There must be at least 3 times as many right back as left backs in the world, and we can't even find one.
    Just on the basis of those two things does the club really deserve to succeed, or even manage not to fail?

Harris did get a right back and hes injured. He also got a striker and hes injured.

The budget didnt stretch to back up and we are left with options nowhere near the standard.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Harris did get a right back and hes injured. He also got a striker and hes injured.

The budget didnt stretch to back up and we are left with options nowhere near the standard.
    This is true but these should have been addressed and filled years ago.