+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New Year's Eve, the most unfairly maligned date on the calendar?

New Year's Eve, the most unfairly maligned date on the calendar?

Always loved Christmas, but I used to have force myself to go out on New Year's Eve even when I was when I was in my teens and twenties - going along to my usual pub only to see it packed out with people I'd never see for the rest of the year amid an atmosphere of forced jollity was never for me. Once you had to start getting s ticket for pubs you would be in most weeks, it didn't take long before I knocked the whole thing on the head even when I was still a regular drinker.

Here's something from a completely different viewpoint, but he's not convincing me ;-

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-maligned-nye

Re: New Year's Eve, the most unfairly maligned date on the calendar?

So he misses throwing up on his mates on NYE because he's not a maladjusted introvert? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Always loved Christmas, but I used to have force myself to go out on New Year's Eve even when I was when I was in my teens and twenties - going along to my usual pub only to see it packed out with people I'd never see for the rest of the year amid an atmosphere of forced jollity was never for me. Once you had to start getting s ticket for pubs you would be in most weeks, it didn't take long before I knocked the whole thing on the head even when I was still a regular drinker.

Here's something from a completely different viewpoint, but he's not convincing me ;-

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-maligned-nye
    I agree entirely with you. I think it was the 'forced jollity' that you mentioned. It was like.. "Well, this evening has to be good fun, I mean, it's New Year's Eve after all, right?"
    Whereas some of the best evenings you'd usually have in a pub were those when you were least expecting it.
    Yeah, the having to buy tickets for a pub that you've supported throughout the year was the final nail for me.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I agree entirely with you. I think it was the 'forced jollity' that you mentioned. It was like.. "Well, this evening has to be good fun, I mean, it's New Year's Eve after all, right?"
    Whereas some of the best evenings you'd usually have in a pub were those when you were least expecting it.
    Yeah, the having to buy tickets for a pub that you've supported throughout the year was the final nail for me.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that it is actually unlawful to charge someone to enter a public house, something to do with the licence, but they can issue tickets so that only those they want in the pub get in.
    Things that reminded me of this is were The Old Arcade on international days didn't "charge" to get in but the bouncers at the door had buckets for would be entrants to donate to 'charity' and Sam's Bar (The old Terminus) officially changed at 11.30 from being a pub to a nightclub so if you were in there before 11.30 it was free but if you wanted in later you had to pay.

I loved NYE as a 13/14 year old kid, the landlords would drop their guard and you could get served, Hoovers bar was a place I had a few NYE, then singing and spewing all the way home. Since then I never liked it that much, only one good NYE I remember was when I ended up in a party with the Waterboys in a flat in Baker Street. (Tripping on pink panthers).

It did seem more popular 20 years back and more, loads of parties where i grew up, neighbours pissed up and snogging each other. I'd say that the 70's, 80's and early 90's were the heyday for NYE, it seems to have tailed off a fair bit, which is fine by me as i never could understand the fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I loved NYE as a 13/14 year old kid, the landlords would drop their guard and you could get served, Hoovers bar was a place I had a few NYE, then singing and spewing all the way home. Since then I never liked it that much, only one good NYE I remember was when I ended up in a party with the Waterboys in a flat in Baker Street. (Tripping on pink panthers).
    On New Year's Eve there are always plenty of Waterboys floating around in the pubs.

I don't know about forced jollity - because it was supposedly a big night (and a rare night out for some) the non-regulars would sit there expecting something special without realising they had to contribute to the atmosphere, so it all became quite subdued. At least that's how I remember it, it's been a while since I went out for NYE.

Hate the day its so false in so many ways .

load of old bollocks , pissed people are such arseholes