+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did she say anything that wasn’t true?

Re: Did she say anything that wasn’t true?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What Karen Carney said was stupid and the reaction from Leeds was stupid. However, this has highlighted one of the problems of having women acting as pundits in the men's game. Let's imagine Roy Keane or Rio Ferdinand or Alan Shearer had claimed Leeds got promoted because of Covid-19, and Leeds had reacted in the way they did. Would there have been the sort of outcry that we've witnessed in relation to Carney? I somehow doubt it.
    Are you talking about the outcry from Leeds fans?

She didn’t say anything wrong.
    I wonder if it was Roy Keane who said it whether the reaction would be the same?

A lot of the women commentating on the mens game talk far more sense than shearer , he's a clown

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Leeds did exactly what some pundits forecast they would do in 18/19, that is go off at a very quick pace and then blow up as their fast start caught up with them. Leeds were on a run of five wins in six going into their final nine regular season matches two years ago and then won three, drew one and lost five of their remaining games. They were on another very good run last season with nine matches left, but the evidence of 18/19 means that it seems reasonable to suggest it could still have gone wrong for them, but a break which lasted longer than a normal close season before they played always meant that there was no chance of tiredness being a factor - saying Leeds owed their promotion to COVID wasn’t the best way of putting it by any means, but there has to be room for an element of doubt if it wasn’t for that long break.
    It's just speculation though, isn't it? For starters, the Leeds team of 2019/20 were more experienced than the side of 2018/19. There's also evidence to suggest they were quite simply a better team in 2019/20, while their challengers for promotion were weaker than the previous year. But again, that's just speculation.

To me, suggesting that Leeds owed their promotion to Covid-19 is just daft. Carney apparently said: "I actually think they got promoted because of Covid in terms of it gave them a bit of respite. I don't know if they would have got up if they didn't have that break."

I might be completely wrong about this, but I doubt Carney watched too much Championship football last season if she genuinely believes what she said. I watched loads of it and, to me, Leeds looked consistently and comfortably the best side in a division that appeared far from outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    EDIT: And yes maybe it was nothing more than an error of judgement, but if so it was a pretty shocking one by a department that's meant to be social media savvy. So either they're incompetent or vindictive, and to be honest I find it incredibly hard to believe that a team running the Twitter account of a Premier League football club in 2020 were so naive as to not realise the abuse they were inviting onto her once they tweeted that
    And therein lies the problem. In a world where we are apparently striving for equality, they are nevertheless expected to be far more careful about their reaction to comments made by pundit Carney than they would if the comments had been made by pundits Keane, Neville or Shearer, simply because of the society we live in. If they're not careful, it's "Shame! Shame! Shame!" according to a woman who campaigns for equal pay for footballers of all sexes.

It's just speculation though, isn't it? For starters, the Leeds team of 2019/20 were more experienced than the side of 2018/19. There's also evidence to suggest they were quite simply a better team in 2019/20, while their challengers for promotion were weaker than the previous year. But again, that's just speculation.

To me, suggesting that Leeds owed their promotion to Covid-19 is just daft. Carney apparently said: "I actually think they got promoted because of Covid in terms of it gave them a bit of respite. I don't know if they would have got up if they didn't have that break."

I might be completely wrong about this, but I doubt Carney watched too much Championship football last season if she genuinely believes what she said. I watched loads of it and, to me, Leeds looked consistently and comfortably the best side in a division that appeared far from outstanding.
    Well, there’s no way it can be anything but speculation is there, but it’s speculation backed up by facts from the previous season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, there’s no way it can be anything but speculation is there, but it’s speculation backed up by facts from the previous season.
    The fact is City made a late run to nick a play-off place last season, so no worries this time round then?

What evidence do you have for that claim? For instance, don't people like Lineker and Shearer get loads of abuse on social media?
    Indeed I love abusing Lineker and Shearer, I leave the ladies alone as they are lovely and know everything 😍

Karen Carney thinks Jude Bellingham will be the next Patrick Vieira, so she's lazy at best and racist at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Karen Carney thinks Jude Bellingham will be the next Patrick Vieira, so she's lazy at best and racist at worst.
    Sounds like the ladies PR company have just found out that sensational statements make good TV , gain reaction and fame and certainly promote oneself profile quickly, both her Leeds and Bellingham statements are a bit off the wall.

Sorry Karen I don't agree with you on either matter , and stop watching Roy Keene , he's barmy ??

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think it's a leap to assume that female pundits get more abuse than male pundits, and also there's the nature of the abuse, I don't think Shearer gets too many tweets saying he's going to get raped
    Where does it say she was threatened with rape??

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Blue View Post
    It reports sexist abuse and cyber bullying , good job she doesn't post on here .

I haven't seen everything that was specifically said to her this time but it's something that does happen to women online. I was making more of a general point about how the type of abuse men and women get online is different - here's a specific example of that being said to her at a different time, and if she's deleted her Twitter account this time it's probably a fair assumption that she's had some pretty vile messages this time as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45903339

HERE!!! https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ndit-1.4447547

Right. So what's the answer? Outlaw female football pundits? Outlaw the right to respond to comments by female football pundits? Outlaw Twitter? I don't know, but what I do know is that the subject of equality is a very tricky one and social media is an utter cesspool.
    Remove the anonymity behind social media accounts would be a start. To delete an account it should be hidden from general view for x days since the last tweet before you can actually delete the account so the authorities, once granted suitable authorisation, can see what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    That was the last incident in 2018

This was more get back in the kitchen stuff and I was originally thinking she needed to get a thicker skin if shes a pundit on social media. Didnt know she had suffered it in the past tbh

Bit of a shitshow all round really