+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans for the reopening of the cardiff canal ?

Plans for the reopening of the cardiff canal ?

I know there used to be a canal , some of which remains , up at forest farm nature reserve

And I fish the dock feeder canal which runs off the taff at blackweir, through bute park , under the city centre and into the east Dock by Atlantic wharf

But where is this old canal they are opening up ? Is it the one that used to run past the Hayes and down to rat Island in the docks ?

Hope they put some big pike in it

Re: Plans for the reopening of the cardiff canal ?

Plenty of tables with parasols and waitresses in mini skirts serving panini’s and expensive coffee, will be made available

Runs under kingsway toward the new theatre, then goes under queen street and down Churchill way which is what they want to open back up. Shame the council let the developers ruin Guildford crescent, there was some nice bars and restaurants there......

Can’t see it happening especially with financial constraints.

It adds no value apart from a social one

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Runs under kingsway toward the new theatre, then goes under queen street and down Churchill way which is what they want to open back up. Shame the council let the developers ruin Guildford crescent, there was some nice bars and restaurants there......
    Which, Sludge, is what you I and almost everyone else in Cardiff who knows of its existence call the feeder. Despit a long and protracted debate on hereabout canals versus feeders

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Can’t see it happening especially with financial constraints.

It adds no value apart from a social one
    And it will probably require unavoidable and prolonged closure of Castle Street during the works!!!!

Mike can we have a 'seriously angry' or 'Mr Grumpy ' smiley please? (If that's not a contradiction )

I'm sure that with Brexit, coronavirus, Cardiff Council, Boris, Drakeford etc. it will get well used

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Plenty of tables with parasols and waitresses in mini skirts serving panini’s and expensive coffee, will be made available
    As a fellow pedant, did you know that the word 'panini' is the plural and that 'panino' is the singular?

The same goes for 'spaghetto/spaghetti', 'graffito/graffiti' and the like

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As a fellow pedant, did you know that the word 'panini' is the plural and that 'panino' is the singular?

You didn’t mention the ‘belonging to’ apostrophe TBG, you’re too kind

International

And datum. Whilst similar errors are oft made when words are used in the plural such as referendum, stadium and others.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    You didn’t mention the ‘belonging to’ apostrophe TBG, you’re too kind
    He was saving that for later

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    And it will probably require unavoidable and prolonged closure of Castle Street during the works!!!!

Mike can we have a 'seriously angry' or 'Mr Grumpy ' smiley please? (If that's not a contradiction )

I'm sure that with Brexit, coronavirus, Cardiff Council, Boris, Drakeford etc. it will get well used
    Don’t be daft, they will fill it with lovely bars and established eateries, but most have been turfed out already, then more will come back, then the nearby flats will moan and shut them all down again....it will look nice though

International

Don’t be daft, they will fill it with lovely bars and established eateries, but most have been turfed out already, then more will come back, then the nearby flats will moan and shut them all down again....it will look nice though
    Until the bad weather. And if you are walking down one side o it you can't cross over to avoid the aggressive beggars and no one will want to walk down there late at night (Don't go near the canal!!! - -Goons c 1956) and the water will stagnate and smell in the summer and people will throw their rubbish in it and people will be knocked over by people recklessly riding bikes and skateboarding and.... and they will undoubtedly have to close Castle St for the works and..... grrrr (where's that My Grumpy smiley?)

did I leave anything out. Oh yes, Cardiff public transport is so bad people won't be able to get there to enjoy it!!!!

The nearby flats will be outpriced by £1m house barges.

Talking of plurals, did you know that toothpaste and the toothbrush was invented in Swansea?........ anywhere else and we’d have been calling it teethpaste and teethbrush.

I don't care about traffic delays and congestion , if a canal is being opened up in cardiff and they fill it full of pike and perch I will be going fishing

Its as simple as that

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Talking of plurals, did you know that toothpaste and the toothbrush was invented in Swansea?........ anywhere else and we’d have been calling it teethpaste and teethbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't care about traffic delays and congestion , if a canal is being opened up in cardiff and they fill it full of pike and perch I will be going fishing

Its as simple as that
    Coracle fishing in Churchill Way planned next.

I know there used to be a canal , some of which remains , up at forest farm nature reserve

And I fish the dock feeder canal which runs off the taff at blackweir, through bute park , under the city centre and into the east Dock by Atlantic wharf

But where is this old canal they are opening up ? Is it the one that used to run past the Hayes and down to rat Island in the docks ?

Hope they put some big pike in it
    cant see the bottom end opening ,theres a bloody big tunnel and link road going through where it was splitting rat island and the esplanade

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    cant see the bottom end opening ,theres a bloody big tunnel and link road going through where it was splitting rat island and the esplanade
    Rat island? Are there any photos of this

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    there are a few online somewhere i always knew it where i was born the area between the canal and the taff south of james street where the hamadryad hospital was situated but some reports suggest it was a little further up the river near where it bends going into grangetown where currans used to be on the docks side

Its as simple as that
    Not if you don’t live here you can’t, only reasonable journeys remember, surely there’s fish in Bridgend?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Pomeroy St, Hunter St, Docks Cons, The New Sea Lock pub (gone now) area isn’t it?

Not if you don’t live here you can’t, only reasonable journeys remember, surely there’s fish in Bridgend?
    no pike and perch

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    could you fish in the canal by rat Island?

Saw an old photo of some kids fishing there many years ago but it was in the 50s when the pollution would have been very bad