+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any nice Ales you drank over Christmas and New year?

Any nice Ales you drank over Christmas and New year?

I Found a can of Brewdog Layer Cake in tesco for £3 a can which I really enjoyed so I went online and ordered 24 cans of the buggers.
    Like drinking actual cake. Marshmallowy stout I think it tastes like and 7%

Layer Cake, a rich and decadent stout that has to be tried to be believed. Layering marshmallow, chocolate brownie, vanilla and cocoa nibs, this is a dessert in a can.

Re: Any nice Ales you drank over Christmas and New year?

Sounds very interesting, I shall have to try a can, and will pick one up the next time I am shopping in Tesco's. I just stuck to a tried and tested and thoroughly recommended ale over Xmas, Hobgoblin, Ruby Ale 5.2%

Carling.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Before Christmas 2019 I was in York, walking through the old shambles, saw a board outside a pub advertising Christmas cake ale and I thought Why not
    So I went in and it was bloody lovely
    5 pints later I came out and was bolloxed for the rest of the day

Should have come with a warning

The next time I walked past it was off the menu. Unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Before Christmas 2019 I was in York, walking through the old shambles, saw a board outside a pub advertising Christmas cake ale and I thought Why not
    So I went in and it was bloody lovely
    5 pints later I came out and was bolloxed for the rest of the day

Should have come with a warning

The next time I walked past it was off the menu. Unfortunately
    Cake is a made-up beer....

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Carling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Carling.
    That's a 'No' then.

Pirate Bay IPA from Cold Black Label brewery Brynmenyn Ind. Est. Bridgend. Superb.

Blizzard from Enville Ales brewery. 6.4% ish. A very pleasant winter ale, strong and flavoursome. Their White, American Pale Ale and Ginger go down a treat, too.

Someone bought me a couple of bottles of Duvel Triple Hop Citra for Christmas. Best beer I've had in ages but it will blow your head off at a walloping 9.5%. You can get it in Tesco round here but not sure if it is available in Cardiff. If you see it then grab a bottle - it is amazing.

https://www.duvel.com/en-gb/the-beer/duvel-citra

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I Found a can of Brewdog Layer Cake in tesco for £3 a can which I really enjoyed so I went online and ordered 24 cans of the buggers.
    Like drinking actual cake. Marshmallowy stout I think it tastes like and 7%

Layer Cake, a rich and decadent stout that has to be tried to be believed. Layering marshmallow, chocolate brownie, vanilla and cocoa nibs, this is a dessert in a can.
    I drink Golden ale quite a bit but got given a few cans of some of the Tiny Rebel beers. I'm been quite sceptical of it because of the way its packaged but got to admit I enjoyed the Electric Boogaloo and Dutty Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Someone bought me a couple of bottles of Duvel Triple Hop Citra for Christmas. Best beer I've had in ages but it will blow your head off at a walloping 9.5%. You can get it in Tesco round here but not sure if it is available in Cardiff. If you see it then grab a bottle - it is amazing.

https://www.duvel.com/en-gb/the-beer/duvel-citra
    Jesus! Sounds lovely but shouldn’t it be on the optics shelf? Not a ‘session’ beer.

Proper Job is the best

I drank some Alchemist Heady Topper. American IPAs are not really my thing but it was good. I wouldn't want to drink more than a couple of glasses though. It's designed to be drunk straight from the can which also doesn't seem right for such a big tasting beer. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a beer, I'd rather drink Duvel. From a glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sounds very interesting, I shall have to try a can, and will pick one up the next time I am shopping in Tesco's. I just stuck to a tried and tested and thoroughly recommended ale over Xmas, Hobgoblin, Ruby Ale 5.2%
    One of my faves, the Gold version is good, too (great for summer)

Old Tom by Robinson’s. Dark winter ale at 8% ish. Lovely stuff. Morrison’s sell it up here in Mcr, not sure if it is sold nationally but a good alternative to the Belgians and the endless IPA, DIPA etc

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Old Tom by Robinson’s. Dark winter ale at 8% ish. Lovely stuff. Morrison’s sell it up here in Mcr, not sure if it is sold nationally but a good alternative to the Belgians and the endless IPA, DIPA etc
    Old Tom is great stuff. You used to be able to get it on draught in a few select pubs around the north west. I remember going watching Hyde United one boxing day and having a half of it afterwards in a Robinson's pub afterwards. It was fantastic draught.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    One of my faves, the Gold version is good, too (great for summer)
    I just cant get on with the Gold - bit too sharp for me. The Ruby is good though (I'm enjoying one now as it happens 🙂)

brooklyn lager - very tasty. have been trying a few for a while now since i had it in brooklyn funny enough (on sale in tesco and asda)

this weekend tried some sam adams (boston) and shipyard ipa (portland, maine) - bottles from tesco and liked both.

normally i was a heineken/san miguel drinker but find i need some flavour now, so staropramen is my go to regular beer with the slightly more flavoured / hoppy IPA's as an occasional drink

tried hobgoblin gold last week - when it was delivered as a replacement - and that was nice.

I love the King Goblin.
    Like the Tiny rebel Marshmallow Stay Puft porter stout. Now that is nice.

If you haven't been up there yet, then when everything reopens once again I recommend a visit to the Tiny rebel brewery up in Rogerstone.
    Much much better than the cardiff one.
    Its built on an old industrial estate warehouse and it is a cracking little venue if you've not been. Worth popping up for a meal and a pint with your Mrs or your mates.
    Beers cheaper than the cardiff and Newport venues as they brew it on site and no extra charges for transportation Etc.

Butty Bach, Wye Valley brewery, you can get it in Asda, also had a selection from Cheddar Ales
    Good stuff

My home brewed version of Chimay Red

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    My home brewed version of Chimay Red
    From a kit or made yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    From a kit or made yourself?
    Made myself from malt, hops, water and yeast

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I just cant get on with the Gold - bit too sharp for me. The Ruby is good though (I'm enjoying one now as it happens ��)
    I been drinking Hobgoblin Gold for a few years now ,my favourite and at £1.19 a bottle in Lidl its a no brainer