+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Manager options

Re: New Manager options

David Wagner did remarkable things with limited resources at Huddersfield.

Cheaper perhaps than Pearson, Bilic and Howe.

Personally , I'd be brave and offer it to Bellers or Bamba or both togther like a Little and Large type axis

One thing that’s clear on here is that no- one is keen on the quick fix Pulis/Pearson type manager. Surely with no crowds it’s time forthe club to change tack and make bold long term changes- we don’t have to sit through some dodgy performances- it’s easier on TV and also the players won’t have the crowd on their backs with a few errors which are inevitable. I would definitely be more forgiving if changes were backed up club announcing what they are doing and we would all give both players and management more slack

I think Harris was a Warnock appointment a parting gift so to speak, Warnock charmed the boardroom they loved him. I think he should stay give him a few more transfer windows and see if he can change things up.

If we dont hear anything to the contrary in the next 48hrs, Harris will be our manager at least till the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by aclem View Post
    One thing that’s clear on here is that no- one is keen on the quick fix Pulis/Pearson type manager. Surely with no crowds it’s time forthe club to change tack and make bold long term changes- we don’t have to sit through some dodgy performances- it’s easier on TV and also the players won’t have the crowd on their backs with a few errors which are inevitable. I would definitely be more forgiving if changes were backed up club announcing what they are doing and we would all give both players and management more slack
    I’d have no objection at all to Pearson and his style of play

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    If we dont hear anything to the contrary in the next 48hrs, Harris will be our manager at least till the end of the season.
    Or the end of time

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ian Holloway. It would be a good laugh if nothing else!
    He was hilarious on Soccer AM yesterday!

I don't get this. Harris has been here what, 13 months? And has had no money to spend. Outside of the Moore signing which was covered by other outgoings (Etheridge, Paterson) most of his signings have been loans, he's given chances to Harris and Bagan which is something we've all wanted and yet people want rid. A new manager won't magically have money to spend to give this squad the shakeup it needs, nor will Tan decide to implement a technical director to help with recruitment.

The football is terrible but a product of how the club has ran itself for years now, can anyone look at players like Vaulks and think they are capable of playing in a progressive system? But then again, this is the fanbase who mourned for the sale of Paterson cause he's got pashun yet criticise Harris for playing boring hoofball.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I don't get this. Harris has been here what, 13 months? And has had no money to spend. Outside of the Moore signing which was covered by other outgoings (Etheridge, Paterson) most of his signings have been loans, he's given chances to Harris and Bagan which is something we've all wanted and yet people want rid. A new manager won't magically have money to spend to give this squad the shakeup it needs, nor will Tan decide to implement a technical director to help with recruitment.

The football is terrible but a product of how the club has ran itself for years now, can anyone look at players like Vaulks and think they are capable of playing in a progressive system? But then again, this is the fanbase who mourned for the sale of Paterson cause he's got pashun yet criticise Harris for playing boring hoofball.
    Question for you - what are we actually doing on the pitch? Are we playing a progressive game or long ball? If Harris wants to play a long ball, set piece game then Paterson would be ideal. Surely it would be silly to sell someone who would be beneficial for the tactics we use? Have a plan and stick to it. I actually think Paterson would be a decent foil at 10 to Moore, like he was when we were promoted, making those late runs etc.

I'm in favour of a change of tactics, moving towards a possession and movement type game that might have more chance of survival in the PL. More and more top teams in the division are doing it. Warnock seems to be about the exception in recent seasons. If that's the plan, stick to it, not change it because it isn't getting results. I'm not blaming Harris as I think his arm has been bent backwards by the board.

The players aren't THAT limited. They're Championship professionals in 2021, not 4th division cloggers from the 1980s. There has to be a better way. Marlon Pack can pass the ball. Wilson and Ojo are Liverpool players. Moore has got a brain and good feet. Glatzel can finish when gets the right sort of service. Harris needs to get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Question for you - what are we actually doing on the pitch? Are we playing a progressive game or long ball? If Harris wants to play a long ball, set piece game then Paterson would be ideal. Surely it would be silly to sell someone who would be beneficial for the tactics we use? Have a plan and stick to it. I actually think Paterson would be a decent foil at 10 to Moore, like he was when we were promoted, making those late runs etc.

I'm in favour of a change of tactics, moving towards a possession and movement type game that might have more chance of survival in the PL. More and more top teams in the division are doing it. Warnock seems to be about the exception in recent seasons. If that's the plan, stick to it, not change it because it isn't getting results. I'm not blaming Harris as I think his arm has been bent backwards by the board.
    If we're talking about recent/current premier league managers on a scale of "pragmatic" to "progressive" I would say:

Tony Pulis: the most long ball, risk free manager
    Steve Bruce
    Neil Warnock (where we were)
    Sam Allardyce
    Sean Dyce
    (where I think we're aiming to be)
    Nuno Espírito Santo
    Jose Mourinho/David Moyes
    Scott Parker/Roy Hodgson (where I'd aim for)
    Graham Potter: least Pulis like but still on scale of "pragmatic managers"

We're aiming to have more balanced approach on the pitch while focusing on younger players who are more skillful. Patterson is perfect for a Tony Pulis team but barely suited Warnock's chosen style and not good at all for where we're aiming to go.

Perfectly happy for you to point out that only two of the above are currently in top half of the premier league and for people to disagree with my order of the managers. Hope you would agree that you're not really "in favour of a change of tactics, moving towards a possession and movement type game," rather you would like to take a much, much bigger jump in that direction than what we seem to be aiming for.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Hope you would agree that you're not really "in favour of a change of tactics, moving towards a possession and movement type game," rather you would like to take a much, much bigger jump in that direction than what we seem to be aiming for.
    I'm not in favour of a change of tactics, only to revert back to type because things don't work initially.

Warnock's tactics were so extreme that getting to average Championship tactics is some jump initially. Becoming a Norwich or Bournemouth is a bit like swimming the Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Apparently one of the Anderlecht directors was concerned at his lack of management experience before they employed him

When asked to comment he said 'Limited,Company'
    Thanks for playing along with my crap pun

Harris did attempt to play something a bit more progressive but it was miserable. I remember the Millwall and Bristol games in particular where we were seeing much more of the ball but not good enough to make it count. He did panic and revert back to the long ball stuff when his job appeared to be on the line and it resulted in the winning streak but unfortunately the results have dried up and now his head is on the chopping block again.

Maybe Harris isn't the right guy, but I don't trust the board to replace him properly

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The players aren't THAT limited. They're Championship professionals in 2021, not 4th division cloggers from the 1980s. There has to be a better way. Marlon Pack can pass the ball. Wilson and Ojo are Liverpool players. Moore has got a brain and good feet. Glatzel can finish when gets the right sort of service. Harris needs to get creative.
    I disagree, our midfield is very limited. Would any of our four midfielders get into Swansea or Brentford's side for example? No chance, none of them are good enough with the ball (although this is being very harsh on Pack) which is at the heart of our issues.

We have tried to pass more but we're too one paced with our passing. Pack can take it off the defenders and distribute it but who can take it up the pitch? Who can make good passes into the likes of Wilson/Ojo/Moore/Glatzel? Sure that should be Wilson's job but he's stuck on the wing, so someone has to get the ball to him, no-one is capable of it.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be upset if Harris is sacked, I just don't think it's the answer. Unless the club committed to a progressive coach and gave him the backing in the window I feel Harris replacement would serve up the same brand of football we've been accustomed to for the past 4/5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Ive read Vincent Company suggested this morning. FFS!!! Hes really going to leave Anderlecht isnt he and we are going to splash out a compensation package.

I just dont think some of our fans realise we are skint.

We currently have a manager who got us moving up the table last season into the play offs.

Hes made some decent signings and a very good one in Moore.

The Tomlin loss has shown how much we relied on him. At least Harris used him and got the best of him.

Just let him carry on. He didnt sign Flint Glatzel Whyte Cunningham etc. But until he can move them on he cant build.

Won’t that be confusing, having Vincent Company, in charge of Vincent’s companies !!!

Harris did attempt to play something a bit more progressive but it was miserable. I remember the Millwall and Bristol games in particular where we were seeing much more of the ball but not good enough to make it count. He did panic and revert back to the long ball stuff when his job appeared to be on the line and it resulted in the winning streak but unfortunately the results have dried up and now his head is on the chopping block again.
    Absolutely, and that's the catch 22 we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Taking everything into consideration I believe we will and should stick with Harris until the end of the season at least.

The players he brought in pre-season were good and only injuries to them and Tomlin have hindered our progress so far. Yes he should have addressed the glaring weakness in our midfield but with the finances available to him at the time, he may not have not have been able to do this.

As has been previously mentioned, he did not sign Flint, Glatzel, Whyte, Cunningham or indeed Murphy and given the money they cost, it would be interesting to see what kind of side Harris could put together given that kind of outlay.

My only misgiving (and it's a big one), is can he avoid the inept displays that have punctuated the season so far if he is giving financial backing by the board ? It's a tough call given the need to maintain stability at the club and I for one do not envy those having to make that decision.
    Our position at RB was a glaring problem which needed fixing. Gunter was available for free and we showed no interest ?

I'm not in favour of a change of tactics, only to revert back to type because things don't work initially.

Warnock's tactics were so extreme that getting to average Championship tactics is some jump initially. Becoming a Norwich or Bournemouth is a bit like swimming the Pacific.
    This is it for me too.

A change in tactics and then being uncomfortable with it that you change back tells me that Harris is the hustle bustle, direct football man at heart.

If that is the case then we will never move away from it as he does not have the conviction to back himself playing a more passing style.

This is the reason I want a manager that will move in a new direction. Yes, it might not be pretty to begin with but in time you will separate the players who can adopt that style from those that can't.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    This is it for me too.

A change in tactics and then being uncomfortable with it that you change back tells me that Harris is the hustle bustle, direct football man at heart.

If that is the case then we will never move away from it as he does not have the conviction to back himself playing a more passing style.

This is the reason I want a manager that will move in a new direction. Yes, it might not be pretty to begin with but in time you will separate the players who can adopt that style from those that can't.
    Think of Cooper down west. No real CV with experience but they knew what they were looking for and Cooper took it on with that knowledge. He then walked into a club which was skint and had sold its best players.
    Everything seemed against him but he followed his conviction.