+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Manager options

New Manager options

With transfer window open need to give incoming manager a chance to change things a bit so thanks NH but now is time.
    See 3 options
    1. Short term fix and possible run at play-offs with proven unsophisticated manager - Pearson, Bilic, Pulis type - best chance of play offs but what then ?
    2. Medium term - forget play offs and give upcoming young candidate a half season to prove themselves- Bellamy, Bamba, ? Hudson- could be popular with fans and could be brilliant or could end in tears.
    3. Long term - forget play offs but opt to change style of play and whole structure/ ethos. Will need more financial backing and patience if initial results poor - Howe, foreign coach, ? Ainsworth

What would people prefer ?

Re: New Manager options

3. It'll need someone who can also get the board to see what is wrong and get the board to bring in someone at that level with significant football experience.

Edit: I'd also say the club need to spell out to fans that there is going to be a change of direction and patience is needed. The new man should have some experience at a top level club, not necessarily as a manager but as an assistant, a coach etc and knows how things operate at that level.

3 With Harris getting the chance of doing it.

The financial backing will be making the club secure though not on players. New players will be wheeling and dealing.

We have just spent a decade spending a lot of money going from one manager to the next each a polar opposite to their predecessor and only have a house of sport (or three) and increased ground capacity to show for it today.

3 B: Longer term thinking but based on further developing the plan set out over the past 12 months.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Looks like Chris Wilder will be available soon

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Looks like Chris Wilder will be available soon
    Wilder if he goes will wait until he gets a job with a decent financial budget.

If Harris goes our job will be a really difficult one. Big clearout needed of players it will be difficult to move on frees until their contract expires.

Certain managers are well off the radar for us. Ie Wilder , Howe , Bilic.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

If Harris goes our job will be a really difficult one. Big clearout needed of players it will be difficult to move on frees until their contract expires.

He did a cracking job at Sheffield with a limited budget but it’s fkd him in the end. That added to the attitude of some of his players on the pitch. He’s probably had enough of boardroom half promises

Why? He didn’t spend much at SUFC getting them up the leagues, in fact it seems the spending this season has gone pear shaped as it often does

That's why I think we should be looking elsewhere. Dare I say it, but a team 40 miles down west took a punt on someone with no managerial experience of anything older than under 17s. To those on the outside it looked like a cheap, random option, but it's been a masterstroke so far. Their previous boss, Potter, had built up an unknown Swedish team in the 4th tier and took them into Europe.

Look at our managers over the last few years. Malky was the only one who seemed to have any long term plan, dossiers on recruitment. The club ripped all that up in favour of a hurried promotion. Solskjaer might have built something hadn't he been so shit. Slade was brought in to lower the wage bill. Trollope was the next plan, the Cardiff way, but tried it with players totally unsuitable. Could it have worked? Over time, possibly. Trollope is highly regarded as a coach. Warnock was brought in to keep the club up. Promotion was unexpected but nothing was built. Now we're expecting someone whose managerial experience is as a wheeler and dealer at Millwall, someone who hasn't been radical at all and has kept the Warnock playing blueprint. I'll be controversial here and suggest Harris wouldn't be here had he not resigned at Millwall. We'd have looked at another free agent to keep costs down.

I dont think theres any doubt Harris wouldn't have been appointed if he wasnt available and out of a job.

The next manager will be the same. I dont see that changing.

Saying that the board are clearly sticking with Harris. The club needs to build from now with the manager in post.

I dont think theres any doubt Harris wouldn't have been appointed if he wasnt available and out of a job.

The next manager will be the same. I dont see that changing.

Saying that the board are clearly sticking with Harris. The club needs to build from now with the manager in post.
    I think all of this sums up our basket case of a club.

A few days ago, buried in another thread, I asked what the board's criteria were when appointing Harris. It wasn't meant as an appraisal or the opposite of Harris, but solely looking at it from the angle of what the club was after. I did suggest the overriding decision to appoint was financial above anything else; what the club was looking for (if they had a list of requirements) was less important than what it would cost. I hope I'm wrong here, but the appointments of Slade and Harris and setting them targets is akin to putting someone in charge of one of Tan's burger outlets and telling them they need to make so and so targets and expecting them to do it, hence Dalman's top 6 expecations. Again, I'll reiterate that I'm looking at it from the angle of the board, nothing else.

Harris's recent comments suggest he's under great pressure from above and I'm not sure at all the club are going to stick with Harris regardless.

Ive read Vincent Company suggested this morning. FFS!!! Hes really going to leave Anderlecht isnt he and we are going to splash out a compensation package.

I just dont think some of our fans realise we are skint.

We currently have a manager who got us moving up the table last season into the play offs.

Hes made some decent signings and a very good one in Moore.

The Tomlin loss has shown how much we relied on him. At least Harris used him and got the best of him.

Just let him carry on. He didnt sign Flint Glatzel Whyte Cunningham etc. But until he can move them on he cant build.

The problem is the board and not the manager. No knowledge, no willingness to learn, no ambition, no real interest.

Ive read Vincent Company suggested this morning. FFS!!! Hes really going to leave Anderlecht isnt he and we are going to splash out a compensation package.
    I reckon he'd be the business.

I reckon Harris will still be the manager going into next season.

However if we did change then the no.1 target and choice I believe would be Paul Cook.

He maybe would come.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yeah but theres no chance of him having any interest in a lower half Championship club with no money.

Ian Holloway. It would be a good laugh if nothing else!

Yeah but theres no chance of him having any interest in a lower half Championship club with no money.
    Maybe, but a brand name like his will be good for increasing customers. Hopefully we could make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Ian Holloway. It would be a good laugh if nothing else!
    That would be another realistic option.

The board wouldn't risk the backlash but if Monk hadnt been at Swansea hed be another.

This is why im glad we are sticking.

Taking everything into consideration I believe we will and should stick with Harris until the end of the season at least.

The players he brought in pre-season were good and only injuries to them and Tomlin have hindered our progress so far. Yes he should have addressed the glaring weakness in our midfield but with the finances available to him at the time, he may not have not have been able to do this.

As has been previously mentioned, he did not sign Flint, Glatzel, Whyte, Cunningham or indeed Murphy and given the money they cost, it would be interesting to see what kind of side Harris could put together given that kind of outlay.

My only misgiving (and it's a big one), is can he avoid the inept displays that have punctuated the season so far if he is giving financial backing by the board ? It's a tough call given the need to maintain stability at the club and I for one do not envy those having to make that decision.

That would be another realistic option.

The board wouldn't risk the backlash but if Monk hadnt been at Swansea hed be another.

This is why im glad we are sticking.
    Having had to watch the utter garbage that the team has played these last few months I find it very hard to understand how anyone can be ‘glad’ to be sticking with what we have.

I have been bored to tears and the thought that Harris is somehow going to change this is absolutely mystifying.

Quote Originally Posted by aclem View Post
    With transfer window open need to give incoming manager a chance to change things a bit so thanks NH but now is time.
    See 3 options
    1. Short term fix and possible run at play-offs with proven unsophisticated manager - Pearson, Bilic, Pulis type - best chance of play offs but what then ?
    2. Medium term - forget play offs and give upcoming young candidate a half season to prove themselves- Bellamy, Bamba, ? Hudson- could be popular with fans and could be brilliant or could end in tears.
    3. Long term - forget play offs but opt to change style of play and whole structure/ ethos. Will need more financial backing and patience if initial results poor - Howe, foreign coach, ? Ainsworth

What would people prefer ?
    I don’t see a fundamental difference between your options 2 & 3. My dilemma is how bad would I be prepared for us to get to bring in the change of style? Relegation and 2 or 3 seasons in League 1? 3 or more seasons battling at the wrong end of the Championship? How long would the ownership and even the fans give anyone. Harris has had a year... the style is different but not dramatically enough for many, and there are multiple threads on here saying it’s time to go.... If success doesn’t come relatively quickly the knives will soon be out

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    3. It'll need someone who can also get the board to see what is wrong and get the board to bring in someone at that level with significant football experience.

Edit: I'd also say the club need to spell out to fans that there is going to be a change of direction and patience is needed. The new man should have some experience at a top level club, not necessarily as a manager but as an assistant, a coach etc and knows how things operate at that level.
    Patience isn’t a virtue I’d associate with you and many others...

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Patience isn’t a virtue I’d associate with you and many others...
    You can check if you like, but I've never wanted Harris gone. I feel things are a mess from the top down. We showed Dave Jones lots of patience and he still couldn't get what was the best side I've seen at Cardiff promoted.

If Harris was going about with some radical changes to the way we play, great. He keeps reverting back to this long ball rubbish, in part due to pressure from above for results. Apart from a few extra passes a game, the centre backs taking the ball from the keeper slightly more often and full backs pushing forward more, we've not moved on a great deal from Warnock in how we play. I don't see a great deal of evolution, some of that is down to Harris, some down to the board expecting a top 6 place.

I was disappointed that Trollope was sacked. He wasn't a manager unfortunately but a very good coach who, with Slade, did ok with an average group of players.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Apparently one of the Anderlecht directors was concerned at his lack of management experience before they employed him

When asked to comment he said 'Limited,Company'