+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rabbi Matondo to Stoke

Re: Rabbi Matondo to Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    Really hope he comes good but at the moment Rabbi strikes me as someone who is all fart and no poo
    players are often a bit like that when they are young. I think from the Wales games I've seen there is enough there to think he can progress

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    £2.5m is certainly not low cost.
    It was at the time for a player that Rotherham relied on. We paid more for Pack where Vaulks had more long term potential.

Transfer fees have plummeted because of COVID

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    players are often a bit like that when they are young. I think from the Wales games I've seen there is enough there to think he can progress
    He has the raw pace that you can't teach.

There is potential but i've seen loads in the same position that just haven't lived up to the potential

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Wait.... aren’t you the guy that just a few days ago was calling out Benkovic as being worse than useless...

You are a joke
    To be fair, Benkovic is 23 and has almost 100 league appearances under his belt, not really a similar case

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    He's just 20 years old. For my money, judging based on Wales games, his last game had seen him step up quite a bit when he was playing against players of a similar age but still development needed. The right club at Championship level is a good stepping stone.

When I say you don't have the patience to see a change in playing style at the club, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about.
    I've watched him for three seasons at Schalke.
    I have very little faith in him suddenly getting that aspect of the game. Do you think Man City, Schalke and Wales have not tried to coach this into his game?

As for the playing style, I see very little. Harris has always played direct at Millwall and has in his time here. He has been here a year plus and still plays direct. Harris has moved only slightly from his direct style and is so uncomfortable with it he always reverts to type. That will not change as with any change will be a period of discomfort.
    They are totally separate issues but I have more faith in Matondo making the grade than Harris changing something that he has always done. At least Matondo knows, or should know, what he has to do and is fully focused on doing it.

What I would ask is what faith you have in Stoke coaches achieving with Matondo that Man City, Schalke and Wales coaches have so far failed to achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    From Harry Wilson is nothing other than set pieces to this ffs
    Yeah. He's been absolutely murdering opponents of late hasn't he.

I actually said take his set pieces out of his game and he isnt as great as people make out. I added that he is not consistent enough. You and a few others said he was one of the best in the Championship.

I think his season to date supports my argument more than yours if I'm honest.

Ask any City fan if they would prefer a fit Tomlin in this team or a fit Wilson and if they are being truthful they would pick Tomlin every time.

Tomlin produces with consistency when he has a run of games. That is what the best players in the Championship do. Actively get involved, look for the ball and when they get it produce moments that change games. Tomlin's issue is getting that run of games. Wilson's is that he produces too few of those moments despite getting the games. The fact he plays in a Harris team also hampers him but it is what it is.

That is the reason that if fit Tomlin is one of the best in the Championship and even Premier League standard and Wilson while being fit is kicking along on loan to a Championship club having produced that top quality in a handful of games to date.

Wait.... aren’t you the guy that just a few days ago was calling out Benkovic as being worse than useless...

You are a joke
    Matondo isn't awful. He's raw but talented. We aren't awful, we're underperforming. Matondo looks average against Bayern Munich, Benkovic looked horrendous against Wycombe.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It was at the time for a player that Rotherham relied on. We paid more for Pack where Vaulks had more long term potential.

Transfer fees have plummeted because of COVID
    £2.5m for Vaulks is dreadful business. He tries hard but is so limited. He's 27 and can't pass. Spending more on Pack is also bad business, although I thought Pack cost 750k.

£2.5m for Vaulks is dreadful business. He tries hard but is so limited. He's 27 and can't pass. Spending more on Pack is also bad business, although I thought Pack cost 750k.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...f-city-3191973

It was £750k up front in a deal worth £4m - but I don't know if the rest of the amount was performance related

You are a joke
    Further to this, I'm allowed to rate one player and not rate another. Matondo is a young player with talent. I like him, I think he needs to polish his decision making and he's very raw but he's absolutely rapid for a start. He reminds me of Sterling, obviously not as good but I think he could be a player. I hope he plays at Stoke, as O'Neill is clearly a good manager and could get the best out of him. Matondo looks for the ball too, he doesn't shy away and he's got confidence in his ability.

Benkovic is 23 and hasn't played at Leicester despite Rodgers playing other youngsters during a centre half crisis, he's even playing a left back there. He was beyond awful in his first game. I hope it's his only game for us. He might be a good player somewhere else but there's a reason he wasn't starting for us. Rodgers clearly thinks he's absolutely awful, there's no way he would be digging him out in the press if he thought he had a future at Leicester. I was excited when he signed as I thought he was talented, and there's probably me somewhere saying he's a good player but his complete lack of game time was a concern and I was shocked how bad he was. Both goals were his fault, he got bullied and made 3 or 4 other absolute howlers.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...f-city-3191973

It was £750k up front in a deal worth £4m - but I don't know if the rest of the amount was performance related
    Both are dreadful business then. Both look value compared to Vassell, however.

From Harry Wilson is nothing other than set pieces to this ffs
    What are you actually arguing with anyway Croesy?

Are you suggesting that 2 goals and 0 assists in 32 games is a good return? Murphy's stats for us are better than these and we know how his performances have been.

Are you also arguing that Wilson's performances this term for Cardiff City mark him out as one of the best players in the Championship? Not best player on his day, consistently best player.

Rather than just dismissing my points, what is your counter argument?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    What are you actually arguing with anyway Croesy?

Are you suggesting that 2 goals and 0 assists in 32 games is a good return? Murphy's stats for us are better than these and we know how his performances have been.

Are you also arguing that Wilson's performances this term for Cardiff City mark him out as one of the best players in the Championship? Not best player on his day, consistently best player.

Rather than just dismissing my points, what is your counter argument?
    Harry Wilson is a very good player but he isn't good enough to link us out of this malaise. He also isn't as good as Brooks, Sarr, Buendia, Cantwell, Olise, Mbuemo etc. There's an awful lot of good players in the Championship and we don't have many. Wilson is one, we have handful more but we don't have enough.

Harry Wilson is a very good player but he isn't good enough to link us out of this malaise. He also isn't as good as Brooks, Sarr, Buendia, Cantwell, Olise, Mbuemo etc. There's an awful lot of good players in the Championship and we don't have many. Wilson is one, we have handful more but we don't have enough.
    He is one of our better players without doubt and has potential to go on to greater things but he is a frustrating player for me. I would not put him up there with those players mentioned above due to him not producing the Birmingham City home type of displays with any regularity.

He is a very decent Championship player don't get me wrong but doesn't produce the best with any consistency to be considered among the best in this league for me. What does anybody consider best in the league though? Top 10, 20, 30 even? It is all about opinions.

If he was undoubted Premier League quality then that is where he would be plying his trade. He has dropped down to the Championship for game time on more than one occasion for a reason. If he was PL level without question then he would be playing there.

I've watched him for three seasons at Schalke.
    I have very little faith in him suddenly getting that aspect of the game. Do you think Man City, Schalke and Wales have not tried to coach this into his game?

As for the playing style, I see very little. Harris has always played direct at Millwall and has in his time here. He has been here a year plus and still plays direct. Harris has moved only slightly from his direct style and is so uncomfortable with it he always reverts to type. That will not change as with any change will be a period of discomfort.
    They are totally separate issues but I have more faith in Matondo making the grade than Harris changing something that he has always done. At least Matondo knows, or should know, what he has to do and is fully focused on doing it.

What I would ask is what faith you have in Stoke coaches achieving with Matondo that Man City, Schalke and Wales coaches have so far failed to achieve?
    Stoke may be able to give him one thing that man city, schalke and Wales haven't , which is competitive football week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Stoke may be able to give him one thing that man city, schalke and Wales haven't , which is competitive football week in week out.
    Schalke played him a fair bit.
    He did himself no favours with his performances when they did.

Hopefully he is a late flourisher and gets a fundamental part of wing play into his game. It will benefit Wales after all. I just don't think he will.

He's pretty average from what I've seen.

Yeah. He's been absolutely murdering opponents of late hasn't he.

I actually said take his set pieces out of his game and he isnt as great as people make out. I added that he is not consistent enough. You and a few others said he was one of the best in the Championship.

I think his season to date supports my argument more than yours if I'm honest.
    The problem isn’t him it’s how the rest of the side are set up and how bang average the midfield is.

Anyone can see he’s a quality player but it isn’t going to shine through when the rest of the team don’t have any quality.

Hopefully he is a late flourisher and gets a fundamental part of wing play into his game. It will benefit Wales after all. I just don't think he will.
    He’s a 20 year old winger ffs, people seem to write every young winger off as fast with no end product. When will people learn this takes time to develop.

The problem isn’t him it’s how the rest of the side are set up and how bang average the midfield is.

Anyone can see he’s a quality player but it isn’t going to shine through when the rest of the team don’t have any quality.
    And yet Tomlin still produced in a team set up in a very similar style to this.

One is genuinely one of the best players in the Championship, the other isn't consistent enough.

He’s a 20 year old winger ffs, people seem to write every young winger off as fast with no end product. When will people learn this takes time to develop.
    A 20 year old winger who has had some of the best coaching both here and in Germany and is now looking to go to Stoke on loan.

You think he will come good, I'm not so sure. Relax.
    We're not signing him anyway.

And yet Tomlin still produced in a team set up in a very similar style to this.

One is genuinely one of the best players in the Championship, the other isn't consistent enough.
    That seems a big step from he’d be nothing without set pieces.

I think Wilson is a better player than Tomlin even just on talent. If Tomlin could get in the shape Wilson is in maybe it would be closer.

he's only had 3 appearances this season, and last year he played about 13 games worth of minutes. that is the entirety of his senior club career isn't it?
    16 games in 18 months, many of them as a teenager.
    yes some players burst onto the scene at that age, but others don't and still go on to be good players.

That seems a big step from he’d be nothing without set pieces.

I think Wilson is a better player than Tomlin even just on talent. If Tomlin could get in the shape Wilson is in maybe it would be closer.
    Tomlin produced more in his little spell at the tail end of last season than Wilson has so far this season.

I disagree with you in that I do not think he is one of the best players in the championship. He does not produce that quality enough. For me he hasn't this year up to now either. Top players go looking for the ball, impose themselves on the game. Wilson hasn't done that anywhere near regularly enough.

You will probably say he has. It is all about opinions.