+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rabbi Matondo to Stoke

Re: Rabbi Matondo to Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's only had 3 appearances this season, and last year he played about 13 games worth of minutes. that is the entirety of his senior club career isn't it?
    16 games in 18 months, many of them as a teenager.
    yes some players burst onto the scene at that age, but others don't and still go on to be good players.
    He has had 3 appearances because every time he has played he has been nothing short of dire and produced nothing.

He could do well at Stoke. If he performs as he has done at Schalke then he will not. Pace without the ability to produce something of quality counts for very little.

He runs very fast. If they can coach into him a bit of composure once he gets there and a better head for decision making then he will be some player.

yes precisely.

he's only 20, think of players like adama Traore at that age, pace and dribbling but nothing else. some time in the championship should be good for him
    To be fair that's all Adama Traore is now, most overhyped player in the Premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That seems a big step from he’d be nothing without set pieces.

I think Wilson is a better player than Tomlin even just on talent. If Tomlin could get in the shape Wilson is in maybe it would be closer.
    Let's cut a long story short here.

Has he produced enough this season to be anywhere near the running for Championship player of the year? Yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    To be fair that's all Adama Traore is now, most overhyped player in the Premier League
    he's a really exciting player - is never going to be mr consistent but on his day he can be a match winner against anyone.
    He went to Wolves for about what we paid for Murphy I think - I know who I'd rather.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Let's cut a long story short here.

Has he produced enough this season to be anywhere near the running for Championship player of the year? Yes or no?
    No, that'll be Emi Buendia probably, unless someone buys him this month.

Wilson is in the running to be Cardiff player of the year though. Especially as the other two contenders are both out injured.

No, that'll be Emi Buendia probably, unless someone buys him this month.

Wilson is in the running to be Cardiff player of the year though. Especially as the other two contenders are both out injured.
    I didn't ask who would win it.

I asked if he would be in the running based on his performances this season in a City shirt?
    There is a difference between being the best players in the Championship and potentially the best players.

Being in contention to be the best player for the 15th placed team isn't that for me.

I asked if he would be in the running based on his performances this season in a City shirt?
    There is a difference between being the best players in the Championship and potentially the best players.

Being in contention to be the best player for the 15th placed team isn't that for me.
    He won't win it because we aren't very good.

He's also not as good as quite a few players in the relegated sides. There's an awful lot of talent in the division, and we are way off it.

on the other hand, if he ends up being our player of the season then that would also suggest that we have bigger problems elsewhere

on the other hand, if he ends up being our player of the season then that would also suggest that we have bigger problems elsewhere
    This isn't a slight on Wilson at all but if we could have spent the loan wages on somebody in the middle then I would have taken that all day.

As much as I'm not Wilson's biggest fan he is on a hiding to nothing here.

he's a really exciting player - is never going to be mr consistent but on his day he can be a match winner against anyone.
    He went to Wolves for about what we paid for Murphy I think - I know who I'd rather.
    Averaging his stats for the last 3 years, he gets 1.6 goals and 3.3 assists a year. None of either so far this year. He might occasionally look good but 90% of the time he's completely ineffective

This isn't a slight on Wilson at all but if we could have spent the loan wages on somebody in the middle then I would have taken that all day.

As much as I'm not Wilson's biggest fan he is on a hiding to nothing here.
    Who's going to play out wide then? Harris is unlucky with Tomlin being injured (or he is paying the price for rushing him back).

Tomlin produced more in his little spell at the tail end of last season than Wilson has so far this season.

I disagree with you in that I do not think he is one of the best players in the championship. He does not produce that quality enough. For me he hasn't this year up to now either. Top players go looking for the ball, impose themselves on the game. Wilson hasn't done that anywhere near regularly enough.

You will probably say he has. It is all about opinions.
    Wilson produced the same at Derby that Tomlin did last season from a wide position when he wasn't even the main man. He's also scored 7 goals in the Premier League, a level Tomlin has never played at

You complain that Wilson isn't consistent enough, is there a player more inconsistent than Tomlin? What's he done this year? Got himself sent off and injured. He's petulant and unreliable, that run at the end of the season was the first good run he'd produced in about 5 years and the only good one he's produced at Cardiff City.

Wilson works hard and is clearly talented, easily our best winger. He'd shine in a side like Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Who's going to play out wide then? Harris is unlucky with Tomlin being injured (or he is paying the price for rushing him back).
    I'm just saying our need in the middle was greater than bringing in another winger/wide midfielder.

He also came in when we still had NML on the books. So we still had NML, Hoilett, Murphy, Ojo and White as the wingers on the books.

Averaging his stats for the last 3 years, he gets 1.6 goals and 3.3 assists a year. None of either so far this year. He might occasionally look good but 90% of the time he's completely ineffective
    To be fair, he doesn't always start. And in 2019-20 he had 37 appearances (27 starts) with 4 goals and 9 assists. That's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    To be fair, he doesn't always start. And in 2019-20 he had 37 appearances (27 starts) with 4 goals and 9 assists. That's not bad.
    I just think he's hugely overhyped, the way he's spoken about by some you'd think he was the next coming of Ronaldo

And that's in a pretty pragmatic Wolves team.
    He's also a lot of fun to watch, and definitely makes space for others as teams often put two people on him.
    I can't see him playing for one of the big sides, but he is good entertainment value.

I'm just saying our need in the middle was greater than bringing in another winger/wide midfielder.

He also came in when we still had NML on the books. So we still had NML, Hoilett, Murphy, Ojo and White as the wingers on the books.
    NML was sacked before the season started. Wilson signed in on deadline day. So, that's absolute nonsense. Ojo was NML's replacement. They tried to shift Whyte and nobody wanted to know.

Gavin Whyte is awful, Murphy has done sod all for 2 seasons so that leaves us with Hoilett, whose legs are going, and Ojo.

Tomlin was our 10, was always going to be and we are/were too reliant on him. We needed a winger. Harris thought we could get away with our midfield like we did last season, he's found out we can't.

NML was sacked before the season started. Wilson signed in on deadline day. So, that's absolute nonsense. Ojo was NML's replacement. They tried to shift Whyte and nobody wanted to know.

Gavin Whyte is awful, Murphy has done sod all for 2 seasons so that leaves us with Hoilett, whose legs are going, and Ojo.

Tomlin was our 10, was always going to be and we are/were too reliant on him. We needed a winger. Harris thought we could get away with our midfield like we did last season, he's found out we can't.
    I stand by what I say about the central areas needing more attention than the wing.

The money has been wasted out there with the way that we play.

I stand by what I say about the central areas needing more attention than the wing.

The money has been wasted out there with the way that we play.
    Who was going to play wide if we didn't get anyone in?

I just think he's hugely overhyped, the way he's spoken about by some you'd think he was the next coming of Ronaldo
    I agree to an extent. But he definitely made an impact last season. And his speed makes him exciting to watch when he comes on as a sub. Something to talk about for the commentators I suppose.

I agree to an extent. But he definitely made an impact last season. And his speed makes him exciting to watch when he comes on as a sub. Something to talk about for the commentators I suppose.
    Agreed on all counts

He's 20 and Schalke are the worst side in recent history. It's way too early to judge.
    coincidentally just seen this on twitter - schalke are terrible aren't they.20210104_194835.jpg

coincidentally just seen this on twitter - schalke are terrible aren't they.
    One game off the joint worst winless run in Bundesliga history, Tasmania Berlin want them to win so they keep the record

They're absolute garbage.

One game off the joint worst winless run in Bundesliga history, Tasmania Berlin want them to win so they keep the record

They're absolute garbage.
    They are awful.

Matondo couldn't break into that team this season.

They are awful.

Matondo couldn't break into that team this season.
    They tried to sell him to Frankfurt and Augsburg in the summer but it fell through. Again, it can't be easy for a 20 year old in a side that loses every single week. He's actually made the squad or started for a lot of the games he's been fit. His best game last season was as a striker in a 3-1 win vs Leipzig.