+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

Re: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Ticks all the boxes in my eyes, What's not to like?
    I agree too....before we end up going nowhere and employ Pulis for another 3 years of shiiite.....

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    .. or Kompany - feok Anderlecht they're no bigger than us.
    i would say that Anderlecht are a bigger club than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    i would say that Anderlecht are a bigger club than us.
    They're also Kompany's club.

The world is full of people who are very good at their jobs but do not have the people skills to manage a team of very different individuals with varying abilities.

International

Given that the text in the OP remains his philosophy it would be interesting to see, if he were appointed, which players applied for transfers or were dumped, because applying his yardstick to them you'd kind o know they weren't making the effort.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.
    With regard to the bullying thing at City he seems to have no such problems at Anderlecht.

I think with him managing and coaching we would need a DoF upstairs, and the 2 together could run the cub. It wouldn't be a bad thing.

Interesting read.

Looking back on that last season of Dave Jones, TOBW's comment that we were "flat track bullies" has even more of a ring of truth about it. We had some great players who, on their day, were capable of scintillating football, but lacked that inner resolve and work ethic when things weren't so easy. Bellamy was rumoured to have had less than a favourable impression of Jones back then and this confirms it. Jones apparently kept quite a relaxed ship to appease his star players to get the best out of them, but it didn't always work. I remember us scoring a goal in our last season at Ninian Park, maybe against Swansea but I honestly can't remember who it was against; McNaughton got a lucky ricochet and sprinted, with his dodgy knees, like a whippet down the right wing. I can't remember who scored or much after that, but distinctly remember turning to my wife and saying he's the only City player who would have busted an absolute gut to do that.

We had players who could be lazy. Even our legend, Whitts, divided opinions during his first two seasons due to his lack of work rate. I remember a thread about Forest supposedly wanting him for £2m and plenty of City fans would have accepted that. I think it's safe to say that Malky would never have run the club as Jones did, demanding a work ethic and that nobody was a superstar. Having said that, we saw some great football during those years, so Jones' approach at times was right.

It's clear that Bellamy would not accept anything less than total professionalism from his playing staff if he became manager. I see no problem with that. Alex Ferguson was exactly the same. Players respected him. I often wonder what Cardiff managers were respected by the players. Harris? Not sure. Warnock? Definitely. Malky? Definitely. Jones? Sometimes. Solskjaer? Goodness knows. Is it important to respect the manager or is it not?

Lots of questions. No right answers, but fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Interesting read.

Looking back on that last season of Dave Jones, TOBW's comment that we were "flat track bullies" has even more of a ring of truth about it. We had some great players who, on their day, were capable of scintillating football, but lacked that inner resolve and work ethic when things weren't so easy. Bellamy was rumoured to have had less than a favourable impression of Jones back then and this confirms it. Jones apparently kept quite a relaxed ship to appease his star players to get the best out of them, but it didn't always work. I remember us scoring a goal in our last season at Ninian Park, maybe against Swansea but I honestly can't remember who it was against; McNaughton got a lucky ricochet and sprinted, with his dodgy knees, like a whippet down the right wing. I can't remember who scored or much after that, but distinctly remember turning to my wife and saying he's the only City player who would have busted an absolute gut to do that.

We had players who could be lazy. Even our legend, Whitts, divided opinions during his first two seasons due to his lack of work rate. I remember a thread about Forest supposedly wanting him for £2m and plenty of City fans would have accepted that. I think it's safe to say that Malky would never have run the club as Jones did, demanding a work ethic and that nobody was a superstar. Having said that, we saw some great football during those years, so Jones' approach at times was right.

It's clear that Bellamy would not accept anything less than total professionalism from his playing staff if he became manager. I see no problem with that. Alex Ferguson was exactly the same. Players respected him. I often wonder what Cardiff managers were respected by the players. Harris? Not sure. Warnock? Definitely. Malky? Definitely. Jones? Sometimes. Solskjaer? Goodness knows. Is it important to respect the manager or is it not?

Lots of questions. No right answers, but fascinating.
    Sounds like Chopra's goal against Swansea in 2009. McNaughton tackled a Swansea player in midfield and sprinted about 60 yards after it and you're right, nobody else in that team would have done it

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.
    The club needs a sharp change of direction, that's for sure. We had decent owners but very little football 'nous' in the club. Academy - when compared to Swansea, and for a club of our size and status has been awful, and an equally awful player recruitment record. I'd welcome Bellamy, but unfortunately the club over-reacted when they got rid of him after a couple of complaints from academy players' parents. Sort of reaction you'd expect in an under '8's side in the Cardiff & Distrtict, not a Premiership football club's academy..

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    He is someone who since retiring has worked extensively in coaching, completing numerous certifications, getting experience at youth level and gone over to Belgium to coach under Kompany with Anderlecht.
    This. It's not just a case of him being ex-City and having "pashun"; since retiring he's gone to numerous clubs, built up knowledge, and gained hands-on experience. By all accounts his Wales interview was brilliant. My only criticism is that if he's serious about being a manager, then at some point he has to jump into the deep end rather than waiting for the perfect role to come along. As with many things in life, you learn best by doing.

Either way, I think his biggest hurdle will be getting his squad to buy into such an intense approach. As Si Ferry said when talking about Di Canio, that's easier in a lower league environment where the players don't have much choice. If he could get that aspect right at a club like ours - and I'm sure good recruitment would play a part in that - then I think he'd be an exciting prospect. Unsustainable in the long term, perhaps, but certainly exciting.