+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

People (on this board at least) continually talk about Craig Bellamy as a winner who demands the highest possible standards from those around him. So what did he actually win as a player?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    People (on this board at least) continually talk about Craig Bellamy as a winner who demands the highest possible standards from those around him. So what did he actually win as a player?
    Would that be a pre curser to a good manager?

Like Jose perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Would that be a pre curser to a good manager? Like Jose perhaps?
    Not necessarily. I'm just interested to know where the idea that Bellamy is a serial winner comes from.

Not necessarily. I'm just interested to know where the idea that Bellamy is a serial winner comes from.
    I think its more he appears to have a winning attitude . A determination to get the best out of the people .

Surely he did win things in his career? I haven't checked or followed his career that closely .

The League Cup against us

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The League Cup against us
    The Championship with City. A Scottish Cup with Celtic. I think he came on as a late sub when Liverpool won the Champions League. Apart from that, not sure if he won anything else?

The Championship with City. A Scottish Cup with Celtic. I think he came on as a late sub when Liverpool won the Champions League. Apart from that, not sure if he won anything else?
    Don't think he came on, and they lost the final.

But anyway, isn't it about his personality rather than his trophy cabinet?

The charity shield .

Is it relevant ? Alex Ferguson hardly had a trophy laden career .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Is it relevant ?
    It's always puzzled me why people think Bellamy would or will make a good manager. I'm just looking for clues as, to me at least, nothing in his background or what we know for certain about him has ever suggested that he'd be likely to be a good choice for a club at this level.

It's always puzzled me why people think Bellamy would or will make a good manager. I'm just looking for clues as, to me at least, nothing in his background or what we know for certain about him has ever suggested that he'd be likely to be a good choice for a club at this level.
    Its because he's an ex player and an easy pick. Lots of clubs have had managers/coaches who have played for the club at some point. Better the devil you know and all that. Its just football circles i guess and as fans we get a bit lazy and love a bit of nostalgia with cult heroes returning to the club. (i saw someone suggest graham kavanagh as manager a few months back!!)
    Eddie Howe had a fantastic journey with Bournemouth after playing for them for many years in the lower leagues, maybe he wouldn't he have had that particular managerial chance had they not known him however there are many many clubs where it dosn't work out. Risk clubs take I guess.

I'm on the fence with this Bellamy talk. Like all managers, they have to start somewhere but it just dosn't feel quite right for me. I think he'd be a Roy Keane type manager, constantly having a go and bellowing at the players. But also maybe that's what the team needs perhaps? Tricky one.

Whatever happens for sure though it can't go on like it is. The boardroom worries me more than the manager and whoever comes in - if Neil Harris were to depart I just fear it'll be the same old story kicking the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Its because he's an ex player and an easy pick. Lots of clubs have had managers/coaches who have played for the club at some point. Better the devil you know and all that. Its just football circles i guess and as fans we get a bit lazy and love a bit of nostalgia with cult heroes returning to the club. (i saw someone suggest graham kavanagh as manager a few months back!!)
    Eddie Howe had a fantastic journey with Bournemouth after playing for them for many years in the lower leagues, maybe he wouldn't he have had that particular managerial chance had they not known him however there are many many clubs where it dosn't work out. Risk clubs take I guess.

I'm on the fence with this Bellamy talk. Like all managers, they have to start somewhere but it just dosn't feel quite right for me. I think he'd be a Roy Keane type manager, constantly having a go and bellowing at the players. But also maybe that's what the team needs perhaps? Tricky one.

Whatever happens for sure though it can't go on like it is. The boardroom worries me more than the manager and whoever comes in - if Neil Harris were to depart I just fear it'll be the same old story kicking the can down the road.
    He is not a easy pick because he played for us like Kavanagh, He is someone who since retiring has worked extensively in coaching, completing numerous certifications, getting experience at youth level and gone over to Belgium to coach under Kompany with Anderlecht. He is a young, passionate managerial prospect for any club.

We also have the added benefit of having ties with him and he is a very passionate Welshman, and to a lot of people that means something.

He could not have gone about his learning process any better really, even turning down the Cardiff job previously because he correctly thought the timing was wrong. To me he shows a good work ethic and a ever growing maturity.

199 Bore has answered your question.

Because Craig Bellamy has been slightly controversial there will always be those for and those against.

The youth team he managed at Cardiff did particularly well , playing good football by all accounts .
    I wonder what the people with more knowledge of the youth set up think of that statement ?

Neil Warnock through him under the bus , he saw him as a threat . That's a fact .

In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.
    Interesting.

International

With regard to the bullying thing at City he seems to have no such problems at Anderlecht.

I think with him managing and coaching we would need a DoF upstairs, and the 2 together could run the cub. It wouldn't be a bad thing.

The club needs a sharp change of direction, that's for sure. We had decent owners but very little football 'nous' in the club. Academy - when compared to Swansea, and for a club of our size and status has been awful, and an equally awful player recruitment record. I'd welcome Bellamy, but unfortunately the club over-reacted when they got rid of him after a couple of complaints from academy players' parents. Sort of reaction you'd expect in an under '8's side in the Cardiff & Distrtict, not a Premiership football club's academy..

I think this “what did he win “ subject is unfair as he suffered bad knee injuries throughout his career that may have contributed to him maybe not playing as well and moving on so much.There are plenty of players who have winners medals but you wouldn’t class as being good just in the right place at the right time , Djimi Traore at Liverpool who was a Champion League winner instantly comes to mind !!