+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

Re: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

How about we say that Keene was obviously more than just a thug?

He's not Vinnie Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im calm. Youve played to a decent standard.

I presume you accept Keane has set out to do him there.

If youd been playing and you or a teammate been done like that badly injured and for good measure abused by the player whod assaulted you as he was going off no remorse or apology I bet youd probably think the bloke was a thug or worse.

I dont think it should define his career. But totally accept anyone thinking he was a thug.
    He was certainly a 'thug' at that given moment, and there's no excuse. If he had carried that behaviour throughout his career then i would call him a thug, although a thug who could play. What he did was disgraceful, although i find it hard to brandish him a thug per se.
    And yes, he undoubtedly set out to do him, i'm sure he's said as much.

Yeah brilliant player.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    How about we say that Keene was obviously more than just a thug?

He's not Vinnie Jones.
    It's difficult, i reckon that it comes down to personality. He hated Haland because he mocked him when he was injured, Keane saw it as questioning his integrity as a professional, probably a bigger insult to keane than stamping on his knee during a game. Vinnie, Fash and co kicked people and finished some off because they couldn't play and were looking for notoriety, which came in spades. What Keane did was disgraceful, although in his mind i reckon that he can justify it, that's not to say that i'm defending him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That still implies that he knows better. He probably does, although a dangerous mind set to have for any manager in any industry, in my opinion.
    Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough backed themselves I think

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough backed themselves I think
    Ferguson and Clough didn't do an ounce of coaching, and they both allowed their players a night out or two. I don't think that players would respond well to that kind of management in today's environment. Not sure that's a good or bad thing though

Ferguson and Clough didn't do an ounce of coaching, and they both allowed their players a night out or two. I don't think that players would respond well to that kind of management in today's environment. Not sure that's a good or bad thing though
    Oh I thought you were talking about the idea of him thinking he's right about stuff

title of thread is about bellamy! que you lot babbing about keane ferguson clough etc etc
    Bellamy would do a great job, his heart is in football and he knows a pile o shite when he sees one.

That still implies that he knows better. He probably does, although a dangerous mind set to have for any manager in any industry, in my opinion.
    He would try and get the best from his players.

I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him.

Reading that article you know he is going to care at least as much as you do , his football knowledge is second to none .

Guaranteed success , no , of course not . But it has lots of positives in my mind.

They must have had the basics right before they let their players out?

If its just a matter of letting players go for a pint . If its just a matter of letting players out now and then I might apply for the job with Tomlin as my assistant....

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    title of thread is about bellamy! que you lot babbing about keane ferguson clough etc etc
    Bellamy would do a great job, his heart is in football and he knows a pile o shite when he sees one.
    That doesn't really set him apart from many people in football. The question is, if he sees "a pile o shite", what is he going to do about it? Has Bellamy even shown any interest in the job?

That doesn't really set him apart from many people in football. The question is, if he sees "a pile o shite", what is he going to do about it? Has Bellamy even shown any interest in the job?
    In the opening post I was arguing for Bellamy to become involved in the club again and drive standards and establish a culture of professionalism and excellence. I'm not convinced he is right or ready for the manager job, although it might be a genius appointment if it was made. It would be a gamble.

He has made mistakes in the past, but my sense is that he has learned and matured and is constantly trying to improve his skills and his ability to manage and lead others. He seems pretty self aware when he has been interviewed in recent years, and recognises that managing and coaching is different when you are not surrounded by elite players and elite facilities. He is no mug.

Bellamy was appointed Cardiff Player Development Manager in summer 2016 after a period of volunteer coaching at the club. He was in charge of the u18s. He applied for the Wales manager job. He applied for the Oxford manager job before withdrawing (and I think he subsequently regretted that). He has been Anderlecht u21 manager since summer 2019. I imagine he would be very interested in the Cardiff City managers job if it ever became available.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In the opening post I was arguing for Bellamy to become involved in the club again and drive standards and establish a culture of professionalism and excellence. I'm not convinced he is right or ready for the manager job, although it might be a genius appointment if it was made. It would be a gamble.

He has made mistakes in the past, but my sense is that he has learned and matured and is constantly trying to improve his skills and his ability to manage and lead others. He seems pretty self aware when he has been interviewed in recent years, and recognises that managing and coaching is different when you are not surrounded by elite players and elite facilities. He is no mug.

Bellamy was appointed Cardiff Player Development Manager in summer 2016 after a period of volunteer coaching at the club. He was in charge of the u18s. He applied for the Wales manager job. He applied for the Oxford manager job before withdrawing (and I think he subsequently regretted that). He has been Anderlecht u21 manager since summer 2019. I imagine he would be very interested in the Cardiff City managers job if it ever became available.
    It was available just over a year ago. However, I always got the impression that Harris stepped down at Millwall because Warnock had pegged him his job when he did the same. Does anyone know?

Having said that, if Harris was sacked and Bellamy replaced him I wouldn't be too upset. At least it would be interesting. And we'd find out what he's capable of.

We will not get a manager who has proven his ability at this level or with his best management years in front of him.
    So we have to compromise and make choices.I have long advocated Bellamy for the job. I hear that he gave a great interview for the Wales job prior to them giving it to Giggs. And there must be a reason Vincent Kompany chose Bellars to run his Academy. Nothing is without risk but Bellars is a risk worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    We will not get a manager who has proven his ability at this level or with his best management years in front of him.
    So we have to compromise and make choices.I have long advocated Bellamy for the job. I hear that he gave a great interview for the Wales job prior to them giving it to Giggs. And there must be a reason Vincent Kompany chose Bellars to run his Academy. Nothing is without risk but Bellars is a risk worth taking.
    Why not? We're a relatively big fish. We have a billionaire owner. We've spent two seasons in the EPL. We're clearly a club with long-term EPL ambitions even though we don't always show it.

It was available just over a year ago. However, I always got the impression that Harris stepped down at Millwall because Warnock had pegged him his job when he did the same. Does anyone know?

Having said that, if Harris was sacked and Bellamy replaced him I wouldn't be too upset. At least it would be interesting. And we'd find out what he's capable of.
    I’m with you. I’d be happy for him to be given a shot at it. I’m certainly not going to pre-judge on some personal view of what I think or anyone else thinks of him as a human being

Bellamy would demand so much that he would just kill any team spirit after a while when he throws a wobbly after someone has a bad game

He would treat all his players in the same way. With a big stick, no carrot.

Some will respond, most wouldn’t.

If Harris did get sacked I’d let him have a try, but 90% sure he’d fail massively

People (on this board at least) continually talk about Craig Bellamy as a winner who demands the highest possible standards from those around him. So what did he actually win as a player?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    People (on this board at least) continually talk about Craig Bellamy as a winner who demands the highest possible standards from those around him. So what did he actually win as a player?
    Would that be a pre curser to a good manager?

Like Jose perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Would that be a pre curser to a good manager? Like Jose perhaps?
    Not necessarily. I'm just interested to know where the idea that Bellamy is a serial winner comes from.

Not necessarily. I'm just interested to know where the idea that Bellamy is a serial winner comes from.
    I think its more he appears to have a winning attitude . A determination to get the best out of the people .

Surely he did win things in his career? I haven't checked or followed his career that closely .

The League Cup against us

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The League Cup against us
    The Championship with City. A Scottish Cup with Celtic. I think he came on as a late sub when Liverpool won the Champions League. Apart from that, not sure if he won anything else?

The Championship with City. A Scottish Cup with Celtic. I think he came on as a late sub when Liverpool won the Champions League. Apart from that, not sure if he won anything else?
    Don't think he came on, and they lost the final.

But anyway, isn't it about his personality rather than his trophy cabinet?

The charity shield .

Is it relevant ? Alex Ferguson hardly had a trophy laden career .